SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300 Doors....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-07, 11:03 AM
TRDRacer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Doors....

Hey guys well as we all know our SC's ar tanks, weighting in around 3500 to 3600 pounds give or take a few. For the time being the SC is still in reasonable weight compared to the new lexury cars coming out. Although like all SC enthusiasts I want me SC to weight as little as possible and I have come to find out that the doors are what is really killing the weight of the SC! I think they are the heaviest body panel on the car! I have already changed ot the trunk and Hood for CF and that made a noticable difference!! I ahve also relocated the battery back in the trunk to batter balance the car(I know its not much weight but it takes some off the front and puts it in the back).

So My question is, why are the doors so heavy? Is it just because they are so big?

Here is my game plan. I was thinking about taking the door apart and taking the metal skin of the outerdoor and then adding in CF or light weight allumineum on the inside. This will still make the doors sturdy on the outside and it will make them very light droping the SC's weight. The reason I don't want to go full CF is beacuse it's not practicle for street driving, and if a rock or someone hits you then it cracks Also 2 G's for doors is over priced!!!
Old 04-26-07, 11:14 AM
Slinger
Pole Position

Do what you do, and make sure you send us pics throughout the process
Old 04-26-07, 11:35 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I was about to say, if you change the doors, you better reinforce them with lightweight but very strong materials. The reason the SC is so safe is because of its body design. Everything works together in an accident, and if you think about it, the doors actually help with a front or rear accident too. So make sure you keep those suckers strong, and good luck
Old 04-26-07, 12:33 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDRacer
So My question is, why are the doors so heavy? Is it just because they are so big?

Here is my game plan. I was thinking about taking the door apart and taking the metal skin of the outerdoor and then adding in CF or light weight allumineum on the inside. This will still make the doors sturdy on the outside and it will make them very light droping the SC's weight. The reason I don't want to go full CF is beacuse it's not practicle for street driving, and if a rock or someone hits you then it cracks Also 2 G's for doors is over priced!!!
If you think your doors are heavy, then replace your door hinges. It will be a lot lighter to the feel.

Also, if you want to take the metal skin on the outer door and adding CF or alum... you better hope you do not get T-boned. Your idea isn't "practical for street driving" either. Also, for $2k, it's not just regular CF. Please keep that in mind.
Old 04-26-07, 04:44 PM
TRDRacer
Driver

Originally Posted by AutoCoutureSC
If you think your doors are heavy, then replace your door hinges. It will be a lot lighter to the feel.

Also, if you want to take the metal skin on the outer door and adding CF or alum... you better hope you do not get T-boned. Your idea isn't "practical for street driving" either. Also, for $2k, it's not just regular CF. Please keep that in mind.
Yea I get what your saying. But that is why I want to reinforce them with the aluminum and maybe some other strong materials inside the door to keep the saftey factor!

Also about the door hinges... are there after market ones that are lighter? Please give link!!

DO note that I am not starting on these projects yet these are just ideas for this summer and all the long days I will work on after that along with all my other ideas to make the SC light and good looking! I will be doing scetches of the doors and what should go inside of them between the OEM outer Metal skin and the inner Aluminum skin with my fabricator first before any work is started so we can keep that saftey factor but keep the doors as light as possible. Anyone ever weighted the doors?
Old 04-26-07, 04:55 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDRacer
Yea I get what your saying. But that is why I want to reinforce them with the aluminum and maybe some other strong materials inside the door to keep the saftey factor!

Also about the door hinges... are there after market ones that are lighter? Please give link!!

DO note that I am not starting on these projects yet these are just ideas for this summer and all the long days I will work on after that along with all my other ideas to make the SC light and good looking! I will be doing scetches of the doors and what should go inside of them between the OEM outer Metal skin and the inner Aluminum skin with my fabricator first before any work is started so we can keep that saftey factor but keep the doors as light as possible. Anyone ever weighted the doors?
no aftermarket door hinges. IMO, you're wasting your time with all this fabrication. You're better off just paying $2k for those dry carbon doors. So let's just say you'll fabricate something... how much in weight savings are you gonna actually save? 20 lbs per door? WHy not go all out and not have actual windows. Gut out all the glass in the car and use lexan. I have doors in my backyard... not weighed yet... but i do know they are heavy.

also, what is your ULTIMATE goal with weight savings? track? race? bragging rights? to get that 2mpg extra on a tank of gas?
Old 04-27-07, 06:12 AM
kerin
Driver School Candidate

the sc door come with a crash bar in the inside behind the glass. thats why its so heavy and that big hinge supports that dead weight.
Old 04-27-07, 06:14 AM
kerin
Driver School Candidate

the sc doors come with a crash bar in trhe inside behind the glass, thats why its so heavy. those big hinges supports that dead weight
Old 04-27-07, 07:23 AM
insomniac
Lead Lap

if this is a goal to make the car faster than just spend the 2k on the engine. if this is to get better gas milage then spend the money your wasting on this on gas instead lol
Old 04-27-07, 08:38 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

if you want light doors get the carbon fiber doors and reinforce it with the stock crashbar
Old 04-27-07, 03:42 PM
619Soarer
Rookie

how about just rolling with no doors like a JEEP. you'll be free of ALL your troubles buddy. hahaha.
Old 04-27-07, 04:36 PM
13loody
Pole Position

You may end up free of your life as well?
Old 04-27-07, 06:02 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I would watch what I take out from those doors. Most of that stuff is there for a reason. Especially those nice little reinforcement bars inside. If you want lighter doors and are obsessed with carbon fiber, you should get the Seibon CF doors for the SC and call it a day.
Old 04-27-07, 10:42 PM
TRDRacer
Driver

AutoCoutureSC, my main purpose is Street and Track! I will be using the car 2maybe 3 times a week! Like I said before these are just ideas I am putting out and will see what I actually do with the list I have starting this summer.

After what I heard it sounds like those crash bars are the real problem maybe if i use a different material I can get them lighter.
Old 04-28-07, 03:18 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

titanium is the uber metal!

Quick Reply: SC300 Doors....