SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sunroof not closing or tilting

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 08:51 PM
seattleSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof not closing or tilting

Hi all, it's been awhile since I posted but I've recently had a problem with my sunroof and I was wondering if someone could help me out.

(I promise I tried the search first)

So the sunroof opens fine, but it will not close or tilt at all. I tried a new motor and there is no difference. Does anyone know what else I can try in order to fix it without having to go to the dealer?

I just sent an S4 to the shop for blown turbo's so I don't want to spend anymore cash if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance,

Antonio
Old 02-17-07, 08:57 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it could be the grey box near the motor, its the sunroof relay.

i have one, 35 shipped if you want to try it.
Old 02-17-07, 08:59 PM
seattleSC
Rookie

is that the one that says roof control on it?

Might as well try it, want to do a straight swap for a sunroof motor out of a 94 sc4?

I think you have my aim somewhere, shoot me a msg or leave me a paypal addy and I'll send you some $$$
Old 02-17-07, 09:04 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Try the fuse- fuse in the kick pannel inside the car.. I believe it is the third fuse going towards the front of the car, bottom row. The fuse pannel I have labels it as GAUGE, I believe it was a red ten. This fuse controls both windows, sunroof, and the antenna.
Old 02-17-07, 09:09 PM
seattleSC
Rookie

Will try that, thanks a lot!
Old 02-18-07, 01:43 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default Listen to Aliga

Listen to Aliga. I had the same problem and got one from Aliga and it works great now. It is easy to put in also.
$35 shippedis a Great price. Just check the parts suppliers and see what they charge.
Old 02-18-07, 11:51 AM
LexusFiend
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CompuMan
Listen to Aliga. I had the same problem and got one from Aliga and it works great now. It is easy to put in also.
$35 shippedis a Great price. Just check the parts suppliers and see what they charge.
yep i had the exact same prob and change out the box ... it works good as new
Old 07-17-07, 09:18 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Have one on a 90 LS400 that only wants to tilt up on one side. Moves back & forth w no problems.
I am going to assume these are the same sunroofs.

Any help appreciated. I do have a parts diagram.
Old 05-20-13, 12:50 PM
bags29
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iasc300
Try the fuse- fuse in the kick pannel inside the car.. I believe it is the third fuse going towards the front of the car, bottom row. The fuse pannel I have labels it as GAUGE, I believe it was a red ten. This fuse controls both windows, sunroof, and the antenna.
this would only make sense if the windows and antena were not operating as well.
My sunroof has been working perfectly then today when I went to the bank I opened my sunroof then drove all of 5 minutes then when I got there I tried closing the sunroof and nothing happened. Now its supposed to storm tonight and my garage is full. How do I close my sunroof manually for the time being?
Old 02-15-16, 10:13 PM
DawsonB
Driver School Candidate

Default Did you ever fix the problem?

Originally Posted by damon
Have one on a 90 LS400 that only wants to tilt up on one side. Moves back & forth w no problems.
I am going to assume these are the same sunroofs.

Any help appreciated. I do have a parts diagram.
Did you ever figure out what was going on? Mine opens and closes just fine, but one side is set down about a half inch. So my headliner gets soaked=\
Old 10-25-16, 08:56 AM
cynbird
Driver School Candidate

Default One side stuck on sunroof too

Originally Posted by DawsonB
Did you ever figure out what was going on? Mine opens and closes just fine, but one side is set down about a half inch. So my headliner gets soaked=\
I'm having the same issue. My sunroof will slide open & closed just fine, and it will tilt on the passenger side but the driver's side seems to be stuck. This last rain storm we had, water leaked in through the back end of the driver's side as it's now about 1/8th of an inch lower than it should be to seal the roof. Not sure what to do. Seems stuck when I try to push it up, and when it slides open & closed, it drops down again once it's closed. I just have some duct tape sealing it for now but need to know how to fix it. Thanks!
Old 04-25-18, 09:17 PM
dean s
Driver

Default sunroof fix

So after searching for a couple of days on this and not being able to come up with a post on how to close my sunroof that just gave up on me out of the blue,figured I would have to pull down the headliner etc....but No my fellow SC'ers I came up with the fix! I will appoligize right off the start for this being a long drawn out explanation but its the best I could do. now to close the roof to get your car shut up for the day or till you can get to the switch fix. remove the housing from the headliner ,unhook the sunroof switch harness and use a paperclip or jumperwire from the red/purple or red/white and jump to the black/white wire and that should close it up for you!
1- take the dome/map light and switch assembly out of the headliner and unhook the wires to the switches.
2-remove the 3 screws holding the sunroof switch to the housing and set the housing with the dome light and map lights to the side.
3-"Very Gently" pry the levers off the front of the switch( tilt/open,close ) and note how to re-install them! (there is a small spring with a little piece of plastic that resembles a tiny mushroom.....kinda) then set them a side.then flip it over and remove the 2 screws holding the green back on.
4-now you will have to work the back loose using a thin blade and or very small screw drivers,being very carfull to not crack the plastic housing or damage the electronics on the other side.
5-now remove the grey rubber boots with the contacts inside (one at a time ) and lean all the contacts with cleaner and an old toothbrush worked good for me. then check for continuity on all those contacts.when you put the grey rubbers back on by putting the small thin bits through the holes pull the from the other side to make sure they sit flush. Then fip it back over and start putting it back together. as long as you have continuity to the contacts when you re-install it it will be good as new!!!

#1 these are the rubbers with the contacts that may be corroded under them.

#2 you can see the copper inside the rubber.

this is the switch without the white plastic cover to protect the male contacts

obviously this is with the contact board seperated from the switch housing.

Last edited by dean s; 04-26-18 at 07:54 AM. Reason: trying to add photos