SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Are these cars the next "240sx" ??
YES
22.56%
NO
54.27%
ALMOST
23.17%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Are SC's / Soarer the next 240sx?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 07:59 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Are SC's / Soarer the next 240sx?

With more and more Drifting people entering this platform....Are these cars slowly becoming the next 240sx?

Last edited by DriftGirl; 11-30-06 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-30-06, 08:03 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say no only because of the cost involved in making a dorifto SC vs a 240.
Old 11-30-06, 08:27 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I say no only because of the cost involved in making a dorifto SC vs a 240.
ill have to go with mkorsu it not as practical as a 240 .just the suspension will be the cost of a 240 .i was thinking about drifting mines ,but after spending all that money on it i rather jus keep it a 1/4 mile
Old 11-30-06, 08:35 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

The platforms are becoming more popular and affordable so there is the possiblity of drifters showing interest that want something different. Ueno's Soarer has been gaining a lot of interest. I had a few people ask me if I drift because my car looks like a drifter's car.
Old 11-30-06, 08:40 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

I would say yes, but no. Our cars are still too expensive to maintain, and arent cheap when it comes to aftermarket.
Old 11-30-06, 09:17 AM
Answer300
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

i would also have to say no. the top reason ofcourse would be cost. i mean not everyone is going to want a cheap na-t setup and we wont even get into the cost for tuning, install, and maintenance on a 2jz-gte setup. and dont forget about the cost of that swap. turbo upgades, exhaust systems, aero kit availability and other ultra rare components for the Soarer will more than likely drive the beginner/novice drifter away from that platform.

the only thing that may go bad with SC tuners will be the misconception of VIP.

Im already feeling sorry for some cars
Old 11-30-06, 09:28 AM
Petrol_Hed
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to say no for the following reasons:

1} Lexus parts are a lot more expensive than Nissan
2} It's too much of a pain in the **** to work on (so I have heard)
3} It's more of a luxury vehicle
4} You would decrease the value of Nissan, but decreasing the value of a Lexus would be insane
5} There are too many s13's/s14's out there in comparison to sc's and soarers
6} If you do drift the sc/soarer you have a better daily driver, plenty of money on the side, aiming to get into D1 or some sort of known competition (where your car will stand out, because when it comes down to it, that's how you get sponsored or scored).

^Add to the list as you see fit ^

Personally I would love to drift a Soarer, they look so beautiful going sideways. The only known one that I have seen commercially drifting would be:

Then I know of a guy who drifts his white soarer here in Texas (Eugee).

You don't neccessarily need to have a trubo set up on these cars to drift, just a welded diff, spare tyres, and pratice/seat time. I guess you could want a turbo set up for higher revs. I drift my 240sx NA.
Hal
Old 11-30-06, 09:50 AM
Ethix
Driver

Popularity will increase for sure, but it will never reach 240sx levels. Like everybody else said, it's just too expensive for the average person to build a competitive SC.

I think RX7's (mostly FC's) are going to be the next 240sx's if anything. Later model TII models came with like 200hp, an lsd, and 50/50 weight distribution. All that would be needed is suspension upgrades and you've got a perfect "drift car."

-Mark
Old 11-30-06, 11:07 AM
LadySoarer
Driver

Thats funny, I own both!! But im selling the 240.....Anyone???
Old 11-30-06, 11:24 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Emerald
With more and more Drifting people entering this platform....Are these cars slowly becoming the next 240sx?

that's what I have been saying for the last 2 years now. As the SC becomes more and more affordable. We have more of the ricers coming on this board. Look at the exponential jump of "I want a 1JZ" threads in the engine section. All these noobs asking about body kits this, I wanna swap that. So yeah, it's starting to look damn close to the the NICOclub boards.

I sold my 240 ASAP the minute that the ricers started to ditch their civics. Pretty soon, I gotta sell my SC too
Old 11-30-06, 11:58 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take your sc off ya

I came from owning a 240 but I'm not a drifter. I always like the SC.
Old 11-30-06, 12:06 PM
sc300tim5
Rookie

yes and no, yes they will get more common esp with drifting and "ricers" as the vip craze gets bigger, but so will ls's and other cars of the luxury likes... will it become the 240... most definatly not the 240 is like the ideal drift car, if u got money in the bank 2 weeks u can go from a old junkyard 240 to a serious drift machine (if your knowledgable of the car)

ive owned 5 240s in the past 5 years and just now bought 1 sc for something nice to drive in, of course i thought about drifting it but i have my 240 to do that and im sure i will slide my sc some on a rainy day but not like id do my 240 mainly because for me the sc is more of my luxury kinda towardish vip type car and my 240 a drift **** but ya if i had more $$ i wouldnt hesitate drifting an sc also.

anything that becomes the new cool thing will get infiltrated by rice it was jdm hondas then drifting now drifting 4 doors and soon vip cars and it will go on and on... theres nothing u can do about that but honestly i dont care if every other ricer gets a 240 and starts drifting it... its still fun i will still most probbably do drift events and have fun with it, ya it does suck when what u like gets filled with others esp somewhat dumb and or immature pple who sometimes miss half the point in it but whatever let em do what they want, u can usually tell who does it because they like it and have been into it vs others... jus my 2 cents
Old 11-30-06, 12:06 PM
yelloa3gti
Lead Lap

being that i drove a 240 then went to the SC i would say yes, but not yet however. In the future i believe it will deff. be like the 240 craz is now and has been the past few years.

reasons why SC's are apealing..

- you can get an SC for 3-5k range all day long
- when is comes to suspension, diff, clutch setups there are fairly similar in cost to a 240 when you are dealing with quality parts and brands
- its basically a budget supra
- you get 10 times more comfort and features out of the car
- motors swaps ( 1JZ ) are even cheaper and just as easy as a SR swap
- clean, running 120k mile 1992 240sx sells for 3k range for just alittle more you can have the same specs out of an SC.
- original buying of the car may be more expensive but i have seen SC for as low as 1-2k ( perfect for a project car)

I have to say I happy the hype isnt in full force when it comes to the SC but i do believe the SC scene in the US is growing VERY fast and will only pick up
Old 11-30-06, 12:13 PM
Petrol_Hed
Driver School Candidate

I think the term 'ricer' is being used rather losely in this thread. Just because you drift, does not neccessarily mean you are a ricer.
Old 11-30-06, 12:20 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kaotiq
that's what I have been saying for the last 2 years now. As the SC becomes more and more affordable. We have more of the ricers coming on this board. Look at the exponential jump of "I want a 1JZ" threads in the engine section. All these noobs asking about body kits this, I wanna swap that. So yeah, it's starting to look damn close to the the NICOclub boards.

I sold my 240 ASAP the minute that the ricers started to ditch their civics. Pretty soon, I gotta sell my SC too
I feel sorry for you man if you feel like you have to sell your SC if it becomes popular among young kids. I would never base any decision off of what the kids/ricers are doing nowadays.

I do kinda think the SC will become part of the drift scene but I don't think it will get as as big as the 240sx. The guy I just sold my SC to about 2 weeks ago already has coils and rims on it and about to go na-t. Hes doing all this for drifting. I really can't wait to see my old car on the track drifting.

Quick Reply: Are SC's / Soarer the next 240sx?