SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Are these cars the next "240sx" ??
YES
22.56%
NO
54.27%
ALMOST
23.17%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Are SC's / Soarer the next 240sx?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 08:47 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. Just because 240s are in the drift scene for so long and so much, it's just that 240s are easy to find parts for rather than most of other FRR (FRont engine, Rearwheel) cars. SC's on the other hand, has parts from the Supra, and they are costly. Now that there are SC's in the drift scene, it doesn't mean that they are gonna be the next 240s. It's just someone's preference of a car. Also, you can't say that it's the next 240, because the 240s will still be around.
Old 12-08-06, 12:05 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Now that I really think about it a lot of prior 240sx owners do go with the SC. I know I did PJ did and a few others.The thread below has already revealed a couple SC owners who had 240's ha ha. Maybe we should start a poll on who owned 240's before SC's.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=252966
Old 12-08-06, 01:11 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah, that seems like the 'next move' that 240 owners tend to make...

Ive still got 2 Nissan 240's that I practice with ....

Last edited by DriftGirl; 12-08-06 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-09-06, 04:01 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my wildest dreams, I'd wish that all SC owners would keep it luxury.

The SC300's and 400's are fantastic cars for the price. Spend a little bit to restore the interiors and the exterior paint, and you'll have a handsome car that will still turn heads, despite its age. You can still have fun with it, just realize the platform's limitations.

Costs of repair and costs to modify the SC are too high to be a "drift car". There are those uber halo cars like Uenos Soarer, or even Emerald's SC400, but your average drift enthusiast (the age seems to have gone down, or mine has gone up ) cannot afford to make it remotely competitive. 3700lb is 3700lbs.

I love the fun driving dynamic of RWD and almost all of the cars I own can attest to that...but the reality of it, for me at least, is that the SC is far from being a sports car, and far from being a drift car. I like it for what it is NOT, rather than for high hopes of what it can be with enough money wastefully (IMO) thrown at it.

I see spending money to make the SC into a sports car or drift car as just wasteful...maybe i'm losing touch or getting old...but spending money on weight reductions, stripping the interior, installing suspensions that will leave the car undriveable on anything but the track...it seems silly to justify it with the "i want to be unique..." bit. I'm tempted to say "...just like everyone else, now get in line"

There has already been quite a few, and there will be quite a bit more 240 owners who want to get into these cars. Whatever their reasons, be it their girlfriend is embarrassed of their visually and audibly "loud" cars, they crash their Nissan, or simply want a "cool daily driver they can pimp/slide" they'll find out the ownership experience the hard way.

Curb it, bend a control arm...or two...get ready to shell out some cash. Body damage? Good luck...damage a door or a rear quarter...that's major coin.

We've lost a few nice 5-speeds, and we'll lose a bit more before the reality of drifting really sets in with the new owners...i've already got my SC, so i'm happy.
Old 12-09-06, 05:00 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
Now that I really think about it a lot of prior 240sx owners do go with the SC. I know I did PJ did and a few others.The thread below has already revealed a couple SC owners who had 240's ha ha. Maybe we should start a poll on who owned 240's before SC's.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=252966

I may have been one of the first to go from a 240sx to an SC...Wayyy back in 92

gadgetSC
Old 12-09-06, 12:04 PM
Solarian
Driver School Candidate

Well, as a 240 owner personally, I can say that the reason why a lot of us buy SCs is not to continue in the same path as the 240. Infact, I'm keeping my 240, taking it off the street, and using it as a full time race car. The SC is there to fill a different void, the need for baller status Fact of the matter is, regardless of how nice your S13 is, it's not gonna turn heads. Ever. So it makes sense for a lot of people to have a "tame" daily driver that will turn heads, but there's some stuff we don't want to give up. I'm never gonna drive a FWD for example, cause it's just plain gay. So that limits my options right there. I want a RWD that looks real nice, has some adequate power under the hood to keep the ricers from getting cocky, and a manual gearbox so that I don't fall asleep on the way to work. That leaves me with: G35C (too much money), FD (too high maintenance, more expensive to mod), SC coupe (bingo!)
Old 12-09-06, 07:53 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

i hope not...
Old 12-11-06, 05:38 PM
Levistey0
Lead Lap

I see spending money to make the SC into a sports car or drift car as just wasteful...maybe i'm losing touch or getting old...but spending money on weight reductions, stripping the interior, installing suspensions that will leave the car undriveable on anything but the track...it seems silly to justify it with the "i want to be unique..." bit.
I could agree to a certain extent, some of us on the board, would like to push a car like the Sc300/Soarer to it's limits. I think it's great to see more of our cars on the tracks because it shows the full potential of the car. It wouldn't be known as just another pretty car, it kicks a$$ too if done right.

I do agree on the keeping it classy part though. Im a college student, and i think it would be a waste to strip a perfectly good car, Soarer or not. Or even driving around with a gawdy aero, or even no bumpers at all. Yuck! I could see moving the interior on track days, but for daily driving, you lose the classic overall feel for the car. personally, I keep my interior on, on and off the track.

There are a few Sc300/400 owners who enjoy bringing there cars to the track, and a few that keep it looking "hardcore" with nothing but a bucket seat in the car. But no matter the case, let us do what we do. This our way of still being kids, in our adult lives. To each his or her own!
Old 12-12-06, 10:08 AM
BlueKush86
Pole Position

not exactly a transition from 240>SC but here......

I think alot of 86ers are making the move to SC's also.. as for drifting my SC, i try not to get all crazy like i did with my 86. Plus the fact that my SC is not equipt with LSD. Although, when it was raining the other day in so.cal i did whoop a$$ hehehe.

not to hate on 240 but there like a dime a dozen in OC.. everyone and their mother drives one. Majority of the 240's owners went from Rice>Drift scene. And the reason they end with a 240 is because they cant find an 86

As for SC being the next 240 i highly doubt it. It's hard enough finding a 5speed in the first place. The mods are expensive and they will end up in the 10k+ on top of buying the car before they are satisfied with the way it drift.. and 10k is relatively low as ive seen members on here with mods that exceed that easily. So i say no..

Old 12-12-06, 04:32 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Levistey0
I could agree to a certain extent, some of us on the board, would like to push a car like the Sc300/Soarer to it's limits. I think it's great to see more of our cars on the tracks because it shows the full potential of the car. It wouldn't be known as just another pretty car, it kicks a$$ too if done right.

I do agree on the keeping it classy part though. Im a college student, and i think it would be a waste to strip a perfectly good car, Soarer or not. Or even driving around with a gawdy aero, or even no bumpers at all. Yuck! I could see moving the interior on track days, but for daily driving, you lose the classic overall feel for the car. personally, I keep my interior on, on and off the track.

There are a few Sc300/400 owners who enjoy bringing there cars to the track, and a few that keep it looking "hardcore" with nothing but a bucket seat in the car. But no matter the case, let us do what we do. This our way of still being kids, in our adult lives. To each his or her own!

i agree

for about every 100 lbs you shed you are saving .1 seconds on a quarter mile

its really not worth it, get a better engine first

If you join swim team... you learn how to swim before you shave your legs
Old 12-12-06, 04:40 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky SC
If you join swim team... you learn how to swim before you shave your legs
Damnit
Old 12-12-06, 10:02 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

The SC is becoming the new 240sx unfortunately. It has to do with overdone flashy bright SC's... hmm reminds me of the threadstarter. oh the irony..
Old 12-12-06, 11:22 PM
Luv Da Lex
Lexus Test Driver

i would say its a halfway point of the sc becoming the next 240. i think the biggest arguement against it is that the rarity of finding a 5spd from the factory. im glad i got my 5spd. i think the SC should just be a sexy car no matter what you do. drift, top speed, 1/4 as long as it looks good doin it then you're good.
Old 12-13-06, 12:10 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Coming back to this, no offense to those I speak of, but I think the only thing causing the whole "SC becoming the new 240sx" (related to the previous "240sx becoming the new Civic") is directly related to the drifting trend. The ones who but SC's with the intent of drifting and "getting sideways" (sorry, that phrase is pretty lame) are the ones that cause this debate. Anyone who really wants to drift would know that the SC isn't the best choice for drifting, especially when there's better, 2-door, lighter, RWD platforms that will do better without spending as much money in the end to modify.

Personally I bought an SC because I was looking for a larger, RWD, 2-door coupe that was more confortable, more upscale, and more reliable than my previous car (which, ironically, was a 240sx). If I really wanted to drift, I would probably have gone with an FD. Anyone who researches SC "drift cars" would know that weight is the biggest enemy on this platform.
Old 12-13-06, 01:16 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
The SC is becoming the new 240sx unfortunately. It has to do with overdone flashy bright SC's... hmm reminds me of the threadstarter. oh the irony..

You dont have the vision or talent to do what I do.

Quick Reply: Are SC's / Soarer the next 240sx?