SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY- (yes another one) fix a popping door hinge in 7 seconds.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-11, 03:35 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The purpose of the sleeve is to hold the door open. Looking at it you will see that there are three bumps stamped into it. From the inside, these bumps are depressions, and the main vertical shaft of the hinge has a horizontal sleeve cast into it that contains a spring pressing against a ball bearing. The ball will, when sitting in a depression, help to hold the door hinge in that spot until you pull or push harder on it. It's what keeps your door open for you when you are parked on a grade and gravity wants to slam it shut.

It seems that there are two different types of door hinge failure that cause the popping sound on our doors. One is a seized up detent ball, which O.L.T. has addressed here with this DIY. THe other is when the main hinge bearings are worn out to the point that the door contacts the front fender, a symptom mentioned by others and is a problem that my car suffered from.

My own car only developed the pop this last spring, and was very occasional for a couple of weeks, but quickly worstened until it was hitting every time and ended up chipping my paint. I replaced the hinge last week, and after I resize some pictures, will do a quick pictorial for all to see.

Okay, here's a link to the replacement pictures:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-pictures.html

-=Photon=-

Last edited by Photon440; 07-15-11 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added link
Old 07-15-11, 05:25 AM
Helieng
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all,

Photon is correct with the description of the detent ramp and what is there for.

What is happening to most of your hinges is that the bearings are wearing/rusting out and the spring pressure of the detent is applying side pressure to these worn bearings, thus you get the 'popping' noise which is from the worn/rusted rollers - there are 7 needle rollers in each bearing which are located top and bottom of the main vertical inner section of the hinge.

By removing the two 6mm bolts and the detent cover just reduces this side pressure - the bearings are still worn and at some time you will have to look into doing something about it.

Also, there are two fixed rivetted links with composite bearings that wear (bearings that is), one at the top and one at the bottom of the hinge. It is usually these, that when worn, allow the front edge of the door to hit the rear edge of the front fender.

One easy way to check if your hinge bearings are worn is to fully open the door and grip the outer most lower edge and see if there is any movement up and down. On a good hinge there should be no movement/slop.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-11, 11:36 AM
lemaylexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sprayed a ***** load of WD-40 under that metal sleeve and it put a stop to my hinge pop for nearly 3 years before I had to reapply it.
Old 01-05-12, 06:39 PM
Blk96sc3
Driver School Candidate

I'm gonna try wd40 under the sleeve tom..thanks
Old 03-14-12, 11:50 AM
CUBEROACH
Driver School Candidate

great DIY. will be trying this soon. WD40 did not work
Old 05-15-12, 06:26 PM
tonyfont
Driver School Candidate

Thanks OLG...great fix...worked perfectally...all quiet now...I also put a little super high temp urea grease inside the sleve after cleaning & sanding...it now opens and closes smoothly & quietly :-)
Old 01-06-13, 04:28 PM
Jos
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The paint on both of my fenders where the door met with them had completely chipped and flaked away down to bare metal. I did the lazy fix today, and it worked great. Added a crap tonne of WD40 and grease to all moving parts, open and closed it a few times to spread it about, went back later to take her out and wash her and now it works great. Thanks for the write up!
Old 01-06-13, 05:57 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh wow ... I've had mine like this since Day 1, and I never knew why.
I thought the original owner just lost a bolt. Since it's not a problem though, I often forget to take time to replace the bolt (which I've wanted to do) but now that you posted this, I see that there may be a reason it's like that.
Perhaps the original owner has the popping problem ... Hmm.
Haha, now I really wanna replace the bolt, to see if the pop happens.
If not, then eh good, issue fixed.
(I just don't like looking at it, when I open the door. Makes me feel like my car isn't 100%).

Last edited by SEIDO; 01-22-13 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-08-13, 07:26 PM
Jos
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely agree. It does make it seem as though it's not 100% to me too, however I think it's far better than popping. My fender is messed up now..lol.
Old 01-22-13, 01:33 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the fender issue on my '92; doesn't matter now I guess, but I wish I knew what it was back then.

Anyway, I wanna advise you guys to be careful with this.
As I said, I've had the car for 8 months now (bought it in June), and it's been this way since then (unbolted).
HOWEVER, (could be the temperature, being that it's 21° right now, but ...) it just gave in, literally 5 minutes ago. I opened the door to get out, and heard the same "pop" as you hear when you have that fender issue at it's worst. It was loud, "POP!", and I was like "wth?" ... Well, low & behold, there was my sleeve on the ground, and the ball right beside it. Again, I dunno if it was the cold, or if eventually it just gave in, since it's not "really" supposed to be unbolted; but here ya go.

(My door still opens & closes fine, with no pop, or anything however. Hopefully it stays that way).

Old 02-17-14, 06:31 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

^ that look on your face lol, I had that look many times while working on my car

Anyone now if lexus sells that replacement part with the ball?
Old 02-19-14, 11:04 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

I took apart the brackets, used some automotive synthetic grease and packed it in there, it now opens smooth. I would suggest doing this as preventive maintance, along with the sunroof.
Old 03-07-14, 03:11 PM
Shiftone
Driver School Candidate

When you say "popping" are you referring to the sound or the bottom of the door sticking out?
Old 03-07-14, 08:14 PM
ArkLaTexSC
Pole Position

Sound probably. Didn't even realize this was an issue, but it's night and day with that out.
Old 03-07-14, 09:24 PM
Shiftone
Driver School Candidate

The bottom of my door sticks out. I think the hinge is worn out.

Quick Reply: DIY- (yes another one) fix a popping door hinge in 7 seconds.