SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

STEERING wheel upgrade.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 03:56 PM
RGW LLC
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STEERING wheel upgrade.....

some of you guys changed the steering wheels....can you post some details and pictures...like what model steering wheel will fit right into our SC.....thanks
Old 09-02-06, 04:12 PM
Cannonbear
Lexus Test Driver

any GS steering wheel should work, pre 01 airbags will work as well. 00+ celica steering wheels should work with 00-01 airbags, i think newer camry's will work. rx300 01 and earlier airbags will work. toyo supra steering wheel/airbag should work as well.

that's just a quick list off the top of my head, in theory any steering wheel w/ airbag will bolt up and can fit, but the two stage bags won't work.
Old 09-02-06, 04:51 PM
RGW LLC
Former Sponsor

so if i have a GS steering wheel with matching airbags...everything should bolt right in and plug right in?? and what's 2 stage airbags??
Old 09-02-06, 05:09 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

AFAIK only GS steering wheels upto '01 will fit electrically (single vs. dual staged airbag systems).
Old 09-02-06, 05:56 PM
Nerpie
Rookie

This is the ES330 wheel
Attached Thumbnails STEERING wheel upgrade.....-wheel.jpg  
Old 09-02-06, 08:51 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

Niiiiice!!!!!!!!!!! I'd love to pick up one of those!!
Old 09-02-06, 09:14 PM
Sweetser
Driver

Wow that ES330 wheel looks amazing! give us more info on what is needed in order to do that, just the steering wheel will bolt-right up? Can we re-use the stock airbags? How hard would you say the installation is?
Old 09-02-06, 09:19 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

i think i saw a few people with the IS wheel on their SC, possible right?
how much modding needs to be done to put it on if any?
Old 09-02-06, 10:44 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's my blackwood GS steering wheel with 01 RX300 airbag...
Attached Thumbnails STEERING wheel upgrade.....-blackwood-small-.jpg  
Old 09-02-06, 10:54 PM
faulks2
Driver

I still dont completely understand the wheel swap?? I hear about the single stage airbags and the dual stage airbags, but dont understand.....now i'm seeing a wheel from one model, an airbag from another model, and bolted into the SC? I am officiall confused even more. I need to replace my wheel, but i think i'm going to just get a cleaner SC wheel. If someone could make it real simple for us that dont understand, i believe we would all be very appreciative. Is there a more modern looking OEM Lexus wheel that will bolt right into the SC. I personally want something black (without the wood grain accents) and without any buttons that would be useless to the operation of the SC, i.e. triptronic shift buttons on the IS wheel. Is there anything that fits this option??
Old 09-02-06, 11:00 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by faulks2
I still dont completely understand the wheel swap?? I hear about the single stage airbags and the dual stage airbags, but dont understand.....now i'm seeing a wheel from one model, an airbag from another model, and bolted into the SC? I am officiall confused even more. I need to replace my wheel, but i think i'm going to just get a cleaner SC wheel. If someone could make it real simple for us that dont understand, i believe we would all be very appreciative. Is there a more modern looking OEM Lexus wheel that will bolt right into the SC. I personally want something black (without the wood grain accents) and without any buttons that would be useless to the operation of the SC, i.e. triptronic shift buttons on the IS wheel. Is there anything that fits this option??
If you have lets say an 92-97 SC...you'll have a 4 spoke steering wheel. You can find a SC steering wheel from a 98-00 model and be able to install that into your car. You'll then have a newer look of a 3spoke wheel and not have all that extra junk you're talking about.

But, you can setup those buttons to control other things in your car. Those buttons on mine will control my volume/change tracks on my carputer.

If you want a newer wooden steering wheel, steering wheels from 01+ cars such as the ES, GS, SC will bolt-on. You would then have to worry about getting an airbag to fit because most 01+ models with the exception of the RX300 have dual stage airbags which cannot be used on older SC's...

I hope that helped more than confused...
Old 09-03-06, 12:48 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

I like the 06 GS430's steering wheel. I wonder if any one has tried that one out? Probably not because of that 2 stage airbag.
Old 09-03-06, 06:36 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I still dont completely understand the wheel swap?? I hear about the single stage airbags and the dual stage airbags, but dont understand.....now i'm seeing a wheel from one model, an airbag from another model, and bolted into the SC? I am officiall confused even more.
The airbag portion of the steering wheel on our style car is a single-staged design, meaning that there is one connector on the back of the airbag for all the wiring, sensors etc. Dual stage airbags have two connectors, so if you were to put in a dual stage airbag module from a newer model Lexus the airbag will either not work, or (even worse) deploy when you don't want it to. Either way the airbag malfunction light will come on.

It's a big shame, especially since I've got a perfect RX330 steering wheel sitting here in my room itching for an airbag and installation Maybe I should just look at getting a Lexus-badged airbag to suit the original 4-spoke wheel

Jose
Old 09-03-06, 06:55 AM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ACleanSC4
Here's my blackwood GS steering wheel with 01 RX300 airbag...
nice spot for the climate control.
did you do it yourself or get a shop to do it (if so how much did it run you? it looks clean!
Old 09-03-06, 08:32 AM
faulks2
Driver

I understand so much better now....Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: STEERING wheel upgrade.....