SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

More pass window problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-06, 11:02 PM
sc3dreamz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More pass window problems...

Had some window problems with the passenger side (one day it just wouldnt roll down, only up) and through research and some reply's on a previous post it was thought to be the window motor. Ordered the window motor and regulator and installed but still no fix. The window would only roll up as before and once up that was it. So then it was thought to possibly be the control button itself, it was old and the connections looked burnt up. So I ordered the window control, installed and nothing! As I sat there ready to cry I decided to cross the wires and try the button and the window went down, re-crossed the wires again and the window when up.
Now, I'm just at a loss....I'm tired of messing with it, tired of wiring anything in general since thats all I've been doing, either wiring stuff for my car or friends cars and the window just has me stuck. I'm just guessing that either there is a bad connection somewhere else or something has burnt up elsewhere, or gone bad since the car is a 92.
Wiring really isnt a problem for me, I just would like to get a fresh brain on the case. I'm going to go through the door wiring and fuses tomorrow just in case but that would be amazing since the window worked before and more importantly, after any wiring work that was done.
There is no problem with the driver side and the drivers control's will not work for the passenger window in any configuration, i.e. pass window control's connected or un-connected.
Old 08-10-06, 11:51 PM
Nosser
Driver School Candidate

Almost has to be the switch, I would have checked that first. Regardless, you have already proved that all the other components in the system work fine as the window goes up and down, so the only logical conclusion would be that your new switch is defective. I know it sounds highly unlikely, but that's the only thing that makes sense.
Old 08-11-06, 11:11 AM
sc3dreamz
Rookie

hmmm....i think im going to borrow someone elses switch before i go ordering another one.
Old 08-11-06, 02:54 PM
sc3dreamz
Rookie

Default new findings

Well i havent found anyone locally with a switch that works so while i was bored i decided to play with it some more.
For those of you have messed with the doors which is probably about 80% atleast, there is a red wire and a green with yellow stripe wire from the door motor that in turn connects to the door control with 6 wires running from it, two to the door motor and the other 4 back into the car.
I decided to splice into two of the other wires from the control:

red w/blue strip which is beside the red wire-that runs to the door motor
aqua w/white strip beside the green wire-also runs to door motor

I tried reversing these wires in differet configurations b/c my best guess is one set deals with raising while the other deals with lowering. Well at first there was no luck, so i decided to maybe try it individually. Using the green wire from the door motor netted no results, while using the red wire connected to the aqua w/ white stripe made it go down. Take the red wire off the aqua and it would go back up. So I think that could mean that the controller is bad, I'm still going to check the wires running through the door and into the car just incase.
Old 08-13-06, 08:27 PM
sc3dreamz
Rookie

Default final conclusion

After 30min of looking things over I decided to then check the driver side controls. Reasoning, if I jump the two wires and the window rolls down, and this is after all the other wiring(location of where I jumped wires) then I figured, maybe the circuit isnt being completed. Just as I thought, on the pin inside the driver side controls it seemed to be melted a little and the driver side window made a strange straining noise when I tried to roll the driver side window down. The noise actually came from inside the control so I know its not the door motor assembly, that and I tested it without the control in and it was fine. In conclusion: check everything, it might not be what everyone says it is. This would have saved me almost 80 bucks. Lesson well learned/ good expierence gained since I have torn apart all the wiring for the doors.
Old 08-25-06, 06:43 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

i have a 92 sc 400 and no windows work i thought it was the switch so i swapped it out with another one ,still no power the guy i bought the car from said the motors work he had to cross wires also there is two wires hanging from the door whick he rigged himself (guessing its the motor wires )is there any relays that can be bad or whuch control box are you talking about ? it sukks when your windows dont work can anybody help me?please?
Old 08-25-06, 09:21 AM
dhnash
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Window Swich Problem

The problem discussed here reminded me of another discussion covered in the following link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+window+switch

The power window wiring is setup so the return path for the current that drives the passenger side window motor in the down direction must past through the driver side control switch that moves the window in the up direction (its normally closed contact). This avoids the problems that would occur if the passenger and driver side controls for the passenger side window were operated simultaneously in opposite directions. The problem here could be caused by a bad normally closed contact in the driver side switch for moving the passenger window in the up direction.

Last edited by dhnash; 08-25-06 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-04-07, 02:00 PM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

Question what ended up being the solution to your pass window problem?

Originally Posted by scdreamz
After 30min of looking things over I decided to then check the driver side controls. Reasoning, if I jump the two wires and the window rolls down, and this is after all the other wiring(location of where I jumped wires) then I figured, maybe the circuit isnt being completed. Just as I thought, on the pin inside the driver side controls it seemed to be melted a little and the driver side window made a strange straining noise when I tried to roll the driver side window down. The noise actually came from inside the control so I know its not the door motor assembly, that and I tested it without the control in and it was fine. In conclusion: check everything, it might not be what everyone says it is. This would have saved me almost 80 bucks. Lesson well learned/ good expierence gained since I have torn apart all the wiring for the doors.
what ended up being the solution to your pass window problem?

Did you get it fixed?

Some people say the drivers side window switch needs to be replaced?
Old 01-05-07, 06:02 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

my problem was with one of the main power wires i think it was a white with a red stripe ,it could be the switch or if not jus take the door harness out and inspect it .its a pita but it might solve the problem goodluck and also there is a module that controls the doors .it could be toasted