SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The Real truth about importing soarer

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 04:44 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Real truth about importing soarer

here is the truth about importing cars i.e. soarers with facts to back it up here you go guys

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...ges/page2.html

10. Importing a disassembled vehicle.

A disassembled vehicle that is shipped without an engine and transmission is treated for importation purposes not as a motor vehicle, but instead as an assemblage of motor vehicle equipment items. Such an assemblage can lawfully be imported into the U.S., provided any equipment included in the assemblage that is subject to FMVSS, but was not originally manufactured to comply with that FMVSS or was not so certified by its original manufacturer, is removed from the assemblage prior to entry into the U.S. Equipment items that are subject to the FMVSS include tires, rims, brake hoses, brake fluid, seat belt assemblies, glazing materials, and lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.

If the assemblage is shipped with an engine and power train (even if those components are not installed), it would be regarded for importation purposes as a motor vehicle, and would have to be either manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS, and be so certified by its original manufacturer, in the form of a label permanently affixed to the vehicle, or be determined eligible for importation by NHTSA and be imported by an RI or by a person who has a contract with an RI to bring the vehicle into compliance with all applicable FMVSS after importation.

About titling

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/

6. Motor Vehicle Titling and Registration

NHTSA is not responsible for regulating the operation of motor vehicles on public roads in the U.S. or for titling or registering motor vehicles for such operation. That is instead the responsibility of the individual States. Some States may require a manufacturer's certificate of origin (MCO) or manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO) to register a new motor vehicle. These are not federally required documents. NHTSA, therefore, is not in a position to offer guidance to prospective vehicle manufacturers or vehicle purchasers on obtaining a needed MCO or MSO. Consumers with questions regarding these documents should direct those questions to their State’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Prospective manufacturers seeking guidance on obtaining MCO or MSO documents should contact the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) at 703-522-4201 or visit that organization's website at http://www.aamva.org.

i will have more information shortly but this is basically what you need to know

in short it is perfectly legal to import soarers and the government can not seize your car and anyone who tells you so is ignorant
Old 03-09-06, 04:52 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

excellent info. kudos to you for the find.
Old 03-09-06, 05:17 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good info bro...... now post pics of the new whip!!!
Old 03-09-06, 05:18 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Wow you cant even read. It says a Soarer can only be brought over if used as PARTS. It can not be brought into the USA to use as a working car. Toyota Soarer is NOT on the list of importable cars thru the NHTSA to use as a car.

Bringing the car over as "parts" and then putting it back together to use it as a car is highly illegal. Registering it as a "kit car" when it is infact, not, and is a car brought over as parts, illegally put together as a working car, no safety mods made to fit US standards (there is no mod list to comply to, cause its not an importable car so u can do anything u want and it wont comply), just adds to the list of things you can talk to the federal judge about.

Do NOT give out false info.
Old 03-09-06, 05:18 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

................or move to Australia. I hear Peter throws a helluva keg party
Old 03-09-06, 05:22 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

NHTSA is not responsible for regulating the operation of motor vehicles on public roads in the U.S. or for titling or registering motor vehicles for such operation. That is instead the responsibility of the individual States.

im prety sure that means they cant do anything as long as your state is ok with you registering it.

mods, sticky this and close it before it goes sour.
Old 03-09-06, 05:23 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or to Canada where we still have the 15 year rule. Bring in a nice 91 Soarer.

http://www.j-specimports.ca/list/index.php?ID=5075
Old 03-09-06, 05:24 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
NHTSA is not responsible for regulating the operation of motor vehicles on public roads in the U.S. or for titling or registering motor vehicles for such operation. That is instead the responsibility of the individual States.

im prety sure that means they cant do anything as long as your state is ok with you registering it.

mods, sticky this and close it before it goes sour.

Do you really want me to goto the Florida DOT and tell them theres a toyota soarer on their roads registered as a kit car? I do not think u want to see the outcome of that.

Mod's close this thread for false information. The Toyota Soarer is not on the NHTSA list of importable CARS. You can import the PARTS all day long. You can NOT import the Parts and make a working CAR out of it, then Register it and drive it!!! If someone has a Soarer in FL and they want to be made example of, ill be more then glad to watch them get their car crushed by the DOT. All i need is a plate # and address.

Last edited by VJ RC51; 03-09-06 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-09-06, 05:34 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice post

Last edited by neurocity; 01-06-07 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-09-06, 05:37 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Do you really want me to goto the Florida DOT and tell them theres a toyota soarer on their roads registered as a kit car? I do not think u want to see the outcome of that.

Mod's close this thread for false information. The Toyota Soarer is not on the NHTSA list of importable CARS. You can import the PARTS all day long. You can NOT import the Parts and make a working CAR out of it, then Register it and drive it!!! If someone has a Soarer in FL and they want to be made example of, ill be more then glad to watch them get their car crushed by the DOT. All i need is a plate # and address.
I know that this is totally off topic... What is you're problem?
Old 03-09-06, 05:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by SinisterSC
I know that this is totally off topic... What is you're problem?
Hey's from Flor-I-Duh

They like to smack each other around, check the regional forums, it's a florida thing.

Back on topic
Old 03-09-06, 05:40 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got an idea gentlemen (and ladies)

Instead of subjectively argue over the issue, why don't we cite legal reasons and precidents why a JDM spec toyota soarer or supra can't be imported (sans engine) to the united states, and a title obtained from our respective states.

I'm quite skeptical -- if there was a legal loophole, you'd think it would have been exploited years ago (especially in regards to the MKIV Supra). But I'm interested in seeing where this thread goes...

...unless of course it turns into another idiotic SC forum shouting match.

John
Old 03-09-06, 05:41 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

bla bla bla............................. s-t-f-u ric... stop hating because u dont have one... i seen the registration, the title, the insurance card and it all says 1993 toyota soarer... get off the guys **** man... seriously
Old 03-09-06, 05:43 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
I've got an idea gentlemen (and ladies)

Instead of subjectively argue over the issue, why don't we cite legal reasons and precidents why a JDM spec toyota soarer or supra can't be imported (sans engine) to the united states, and a title obtained from our respective states.

John
Oh now you're just acting craazzyy.

That's well above the average floridians posting skill levels (check regional forums)

I'm messing with ya's. (especially Chino because I can)
Old 03-09-06, 05:44 PM
LexFather

Everyone, lets chill out.
So you can or cannot import the Soarer. The first post is saying you can and he has some documentation.

So if your going to argue AGAINST, please provide a link or proof.

Quick Reply: The Real truth about importing soarer