SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The Real truth about importing soarer

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-07, 06:45 AM
Petrol_Hed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAZ
If you don't mind, i for one would like to keep this thread open for as long as possible. Why, many reason's. Your comments are very interesting & so are "two cents" worth from other's here. Threads like this one have been posted many times asking similar question's, & each time we flush out a little more info each time, some speculation/hearsay/half truth's, & a small number of people who have conformed legitimately, but won't say officially!!
I for one have researched this subject for nearly five years! & when push comes to shove not one person, officially/unofficially has been able to backup/offer any real help/paid or not! [ These are from my own personal experiences ] & i have not put my two pennies worth in yet because i have not exhausted all lines of enquiry/contacts.
I would not be so arrogant as to have all the answers, but i do know that some people have not been straight up so to speak for what ever reason, but i can read between the lines! [ hope im not talking in riddles ] for those of you who do know what i am talking about, & for some of the posting's above documenting say a JDM car, legitimising it is a mine-field. So do not take it for granted that you will conform your car or some dealership will help you[before you get it into the USA ]
Granted you can cheat, but who want's to be looking over their shoulder all the time!
Im trying to keep this brief, as i could go on all day, but so far this has been one of the most informative threads. Trust me when i say that some of the above comments has taken some years of coaching to bring these people out of the wood works! lol.
Unfortunately dad, people have gone the illegal route and don't want to share how they got there because it will probably end up in getting them into trouble eventually. Either that or theyre 'all-right-jack' and don't give a ****. They have not gone through what you are still going through and could't give two ****s, let alone two cents, about helping out others who need it.
Keep the thread open to let people post their comments and advice. There's nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-15-07, 08:05 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

AAAhahahahaha! Laws? What’s on the books and what gets enforced are two entirely different things.

Who revived this dead old thread anyways
Old 02-15-07, 08:10 AM
Petrol_Hed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lfrers
AAAhahahahaha! Laws? What’s on the books and what gets enforced are two entirely different things.

Who revived this dead old thread anyways
Some people like to do things the right way so that others can benefit. Kind of like immigration really.

Who care who revived the thread? You dont have to look in it.
Old 02-15-07, 09:19 AM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sc dRifta
just to let you know i have this and i got poped at a bowling alley around 12 am midnight. lets just say lots of fine and suspension. not worth your dealer plate there are ways to get your car legal

Because if you have dealer plates you can only drive during buisness hours so unlesss you can prove your doing buisness you get in trouble
Old 02-15-07, 09:21 AM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BAZ
Trouble is it's Not a US vin no, hence when applying for insurance @ any co the comp spews it out saying "do not recognise vin no"...must be other ways round it surely?

Hahaha trust me this guy knows.
Old 02-15-07, 09:31 AM
BAZ
Pole Position

Care to expand?
Old 02-15-07, 09:35 AM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BAZ
Care to expand?

Oh i was saying my friend roo knows about registering an imported car. since he has done it before with a chassis that we dont even have available over here. And me doing some work at RB motoring i kinda know how it all works and some of the loopholes.
Old 02-15-07, 10:55 AM
BAZ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by celm
depends on state as well when its regarding VIN#`s. some states will issue a new vin # some states keep the JDM vin #. when i title a JDM car its titled with its short VIN#.with insurance u have to find a company that will insure grey market cars.And why what this thread brought back?
Anybody actually have evidence of a USA company insuring a grey market car?
Old 03-11-07, 08:47 PM
trujspec
Driver School Candidate

well, if you are military or related to anyone in the military you can get USAA to cover you....they cover mine...now im just trying to figure out how to get it back to the states
Old 03-12-07, 03:12 AM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trujspec
well, if you are military or related to anyone in the military you can get USAA to cover you....they cover mine...now im just trying to figure out how to get it back to the states
Woah, woah, woah, I have USAA (my dad is a vet) and i'm looking at a couple of soarers from canada; does having USAA make this easier?

There is a whole different form for vehicles from canada because you are only about 4.5 hours from the border, and it makes it much easier. From what I understand: if you can get it past the border and have it pass emissions, you're good to go.

Last edited by 94lex83457; 03-12-07 at 03:40 AM.
Old 03-12-07, 09:27 AM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trujspec
Hmmmm i doubt it beause if that was the case i would know plenty of marines driving around GTRs Besides the car wont pass visual test
Old 03-13-07, 11:43 AM
Rookie

i have a really good friend from florida that just bought a 2001 Toyota Supra TT RHD and has title registration papers and is DOT APPROVED with papers all in his car and got inspected by customs and by dot and dmv and all the test went by so whats the big deal. Either way specially in florida you can drive anything and get caught and still they wont do anything
Old 03-13-07, 11:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 7826441
i have a really good friend from florida that just bought a 2001 Toyota Supra TT RHD and has title registration papers and is DOT APPROVED with papers all in his car and got inspected by customs and by dot and dmv and all the test went by so whats the big deal. Either way specially in florida you can drive anything and get caught and still they wont do anything
Florida is a godsend for me, no emissions tests or safety inspections and I can renew my registration online every year.
Old 03-13-07, 02:57 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2001 supra??
Old 03-13-07, 03:36 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

There are a few soarers here in Victoria BC for sale for pretty cheap. around $9000 CDN. I just bought an 89 Nissan Skyline GTR myself last month.

I am interested to see how easy it is for a US buyer to purchase a car that was imported from Japan to Canada under the 15 year rule.

Quick Reply: The Real truth about importing soarer