SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The Real truth about importing soarer

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-07, 12:18 AM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK13X
S15's are so common around my neck of the woods. Nice shape, but so many of them on the roads.

Look through the front window

but why spend the money to make it LHD???????? WHHHYYYY
unless its like a prelude with a really good conversion...
Old 01-06-07, 09:16 AM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

same thing over there as over here- he wants to be different, he wants to be noticed, yada yada yada
Old 01-06-07, 01:10 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just want to chime in here and say that once the chassis is issued a VIN# that matches and is registered, that's it...it's legal. Doesn't matter how it receieved it, once it's issued, there's nothing the DOT and DMV can do about it. I've seen several JDM cars get legalized but it's more expensive than most are willing to pay. Nothing's impossible
Old 01-08-07, 02:15 PM
BAZ
Pole Position

Trouble is it's Not a US vin no, hence when applying for insurance @ any co the comp spews it out saying "do not recognise vin no"...must be other ways round it surely?
Old 01-08-07, 02:26 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I may have mentioned this before on CL somewhere.

A lot of people in the U.S. often want to get a the classic VW Beetles, but want the years of upgrades that have come about on the Mexican version (last VW Beetles in the U.S. were sold in 1978, with convertible versions disappearing in about in 1980). What they do is they get a junk/salvage title to an old one in the U.S and then get one in Mexico whereupon they replace the vin numbers with the one of the salvage title.

The more common thing to do is that Americans will bring down their old beetles and the Mexicans will modernize them.

Of course that would be a lot trickier with a Soarer.
Old 01-08-07, 05:56 PM
lsflame
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

get a dealer license and get dealer tags. THen you are set. LOL!
Old 01-08-07, 07:17 PM
BAZ
Pole Position

Heard that one before, not soo easy, anyway whats the cost expert?
Old 02-08-07, 04:57 AM
celm
Pole Position

depends on state as well when its regarding VIN#`s. some states will issue a new vin # some states keep the JDM vin #. when i title a JDM car its titled with its short VIN#.with insurance u have to find a company that will insure grey market cars.And why what this thread brought back?
Old 02-08-07, 12:06 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

Originally Posted by lsflame

just to let you know i have this and i got poped at a bowling alley around 12 am midnight. lets just say lots of fine and suspension. not worth your dealer plate there are ways to get your car legal
Old 02-08-07, 12:31 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Wow you cant even read. It says a Soarer can only be brought over if used as PARTS. It can not be brought into the USA to use as a working car. Toyota Soarer is NOT on the list of importable cars thru the NHTSA to use as a car.

Bringing the car over as "parts" and then putting it back together to use it as a car is highly illegal. Registering it as a "kit car" when it is infact, not, and is a car brought over as parts, illegally put together as a working car, no safety mods made to fit US standards (there is no mod list to comply to, cause its not an importable car so u can do anything u want and it wont comply), just adds to the list of things you can talk to the federal judge about.

Do NOT give out false info.
Well said. basically the only way you can drive that car around is if you have dealer plates ( I know of someone who does this) so other than that you are screwed unless you have alot of connections
Old 02-08-07, 02:14 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BAZ
Trouble is it's Not a US vin no, hence when applying for insurance @ any co the comp spews it out saying "do not recognise vin no"...must be other ways round it surely?
Never thought about that....but this thing is insured and registered with the DMV with the chassis # as the VIN. The insurance company didn't have any problem insuring it...

Old 02-08-07, 04:50 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats hot! there are 4 legal soarers driving arround here in florida that i know of. all of which are registered, taged, and insured as a toyota soarer. maybe florida is an acception to the rules.
Old 02-14-07, 01:13 AM
ja8m1e6s
Driver School Candidate

Smile

alright alright alright im gonna put my two cents in and then hopefully they will close this post for good. it goes like this, i studied state (mo) law for 3 years. you guy are missing out on the political stance of this arguement. just cause federal law says you have to do something to pass a federal inspection doesnt mean your state is going to hold you to federal standards.. hint the idea of cannabis being prescribed for medical conditions despite federal laws saying it is illegal and you can be arrested on federal charges despite state laws. so it goes like this, the soarer is imported into o say canada for example. the guy takes the engine out, lights, seatbelts, refelctive material, etc. he brings both trucks to you after inspection, you download and proceed to put it back together. (not all this is necessary but im not going to give illegal advice since it is against everything im studying) you pass an inspection at a local shop, brakes, emmissions etc. bring the title to dot. show them you passed. they will inspect the vehicle charge you for the price of the title and walllaaa. most states will issue you a vin number others wont. doesnt matter. insurrance + liscense +registration equals a state legal vehicle. now you might be asking how this happens. this is how the politics come into play. federal standards have the 25 year law in play to keep money earned in the united states in the united states, american cars are already losing on the market and its best we not have you go straight to the source for fear that dealerships could lose their commission and so forth. why do you think toyota has started up plants in three different states now (i believe). most states have very loose laws when it comes to importing cars. it passes inspection then its a go, it doesnt then it doesnt try again next year. they arent going to try and report you for violating a federal law. chances are they use to and feds got tired of it or state feds said hey more money in your pocket (taxes). hopefully this has cleared a few things up for you. i just wanna end all the anger... wheres the love?? and what is this about angry floridians?!? all the floridians ive come by are like 60 and pot smokers in fact my old professor at mu was one haha theres alot more to law then just law guys dont forget about all the little agencies trying to get their piece, state will keep it state as long as they can. please close now....please...please!! i know im a rookie but u can do it moderator go ahead its ok just CLOSE IT
Old 02-14-07, 11:53 PM
BAZ
Pole Position

If you don't mind, i for one would like to keep this thread open for as long as possible. Why, many reason's. Your comments are very interesting & so are "two cents" worth from other's here. Threads like this one have been posted many times asking similar question's, & each time we flush out a little more info each time, some speculation/hearsay/half truth's, & a small number of people who have conformed legitimately, but won't say officially!!
I for one have researched this subject for nearly five years! & when push comes to shove not one person, officially/unofficially has been able to backup/offer any real help/paid or not! [ These are from my own personal experiences ] & i have not put my two pennies worth in yet because i have not exhausted all lines of enquiry/contacts.
I would not be so arrogant as to have all the answers, but i do know that some people have not been straight up so to speak for what ever reason, but i can read between the lines! [ hope im not talking in riddles ] for those of you who do know what i am talking about, & for some of the posting's above documenting say a JDM car, legitimising it is a mine-field. So do not take it for granted that you will conform your car or some dealership will help you[before you get it into the USA ]
Granted you can cheat, but who want's to be looking over their shoulder all the time!
Im trying to keep this brief, as i could go on all day, but so far this has been one of the most informative threads. Trust me when i say that some of the above comments has taken some years of coaching to bring these people out of the wood works! lol.
Old 02-15-07, 06:41 AM
Petrol_Hed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lsflame
Unfortunately, new rules and tight regulations prevent you from getting 'new dealer/temp tags'. Police etc usually run the plates back to the dealer to make sure the vehicle was purchased from there. Serious fines and trouble are a consequence

Quick Reply: The Real truth about importing soarer