SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Official Thread: Where's that damn noise coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 07:16 PM
mr29rose
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the most annoying for me is the wind noise. mostly from passenger door. i feel if i get a new rubber deal, it might seal the door better and eliminate the wind getting in. what do you think?
i also hear alot of road noise etc. very loud car for a lexus. i can also feel each and every road bump. not sure if its the sc430 rims or shocks etc?
Old 05-31-08, 09:35 PM
khark
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center bearing

Originally Posted by IronCobra
had that problem on my 95 SC400....Drove me insane... the thing is, it didn't go away after I replaced the WHOLE driveshaft and bearing with a new one.

I had bought the bearing but then decided to change out the whole thing so I sold the bearing to another member.
Do you remember where you found the bearing? I have searched and can't find anyplace that sells them.
Old 06-01-08, 12:37 AM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

Default sunroof solution

solution to the sun roof noise tilt the sun roof take a towel i used microfiber take some armor all leather cleaner and put some on that towel now go around the rubber around the sun roof you will notice that its really dirty thats the cause of the noise so as long as you clean along side of it the noise will go away dont forget to do the front too also to get in cracks that the towel cant i used q-tips hope this helps.

man this thread is ollld
Old 02-04-09, 10:03 PM
skurd3da1
Driver School Candidate

Center driveshaft bearing noise owns you.

Let off the gas "whrrrrrrrrrrrrr, huuuummmmmmm"

O.L.T. i have the same questions about the bearing? Mine gets so annoying when running above 40mph and let off the gas.... ouch..... do you get the same noise when even running about 5-10mph? Where did you get your bearing?
Old 08-18-10, 10:06 PM
terrylin
Driver

okay, reviving this very old thread. for the last month or so, my car squeaks / screeches at startup. the screeching sound is accentuated if the air conditioning is on at start up. if the car is warm, the noise is minimized. had my mechanic look through the belts, but he couldn't find anything. anyone have any issues with this, or have an idea what this noise is coming from? its so embarassing, i have to wait to make sure no one is around for me to start my car! help!!!
Old 08-19-10, 12:53 AM
Exthultu
Pole Position

You guys are having all these annoying noise problems! I get the door rattling noise, the weather strip noise from wind, and a loose headliner rattle. Thank goodness that its not a bearing or anything expensive. If you are running a loud exhaust system, that will rattle a lot of "loose" pieces on the car. The lisence plates, seat belt assemblys, even parts of the dash and doors if a piece or bolt is missing. There is some kind of spray that insult sound. I haven't tried it.
Old 04-25-11, 10:19 AM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverRat
Driver's side wood panel, just to the left of the door handle. nasty buzz rattle probably inaudible on a stock exhaust, but with my rumble it rattles to no end while in the 2000-3500 range. I end up hitting it with my fist repeated times until it stops, only to have it come back 10 minutes later.

Rearview mirror rattles hard on full throttle acceleration through the upper RPM range, again, probably because of the exhaust.

My seatbelt doesn't flap around in the wind ALWAYS, sometimes it does, othertimes not at all. I find that putting the buckle somewheres in the middle of the belt (instead of letting it be at the bottom) and obviously tucking the rotating part back sometimes prevents any flappage.

Nasty rattle from my stock subwoofer/rear deck ANYTIME the sub hits. It's really annoying, and has increased as of late. I removed the third brake light cover altogether, and it still rattles. Leads me to believe that its something with the rear deck itself.

Driver's side door panel squeaks, right where your left knee would touch, just above the speaker. Also this panel seems very loose. It squeaks when I hit the slightest bump, so I end up pounding my knee against it much like I do for the wood trim until it stops, only to have it return in 10 minutes.

Lately I've picked up a buzz rattle coming from my climate control unit. Seems like its coming from just behind the defroster buttons. This one only comes up once in a while.

Thankfully I have no noises from the shifter area or that shotty cupholder lid.
The rattle that has to be hit with a fist. What is that coming from? I've taken the panel off and tried tightening everything in that area, and around it. I've even insulated it with double sided tape where things rub against eachother. That rattle still shows up and it feels like it's deep inside the door or something. It's on the drivers' side door right above the handle, under that vent that is near the mirror. Anyone know where this is coming from so I can at least attempt to fix it?
Old 04-25-11, 10:33 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shayy
The rattle that has to be hit with a fist. What is that coming from? I've taken the panel off and tried tightening everything in that area, and around it. I've even insulated it with double sided tape where things rub against eachother. That rattle still shows up and it feels like it's deep inside the door or something. It's on the drivers' side door right above the handle, under that vent that is near the mirror. Anyone know where this is coming from so I can at least attempt to fix it?
Just guessing here, but off the top of my head I'd look at the window track mounting and the cables from the door latch as possible suspects.
Old 04-25-11, 01:04 PM
Shayy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by good2go
Just guessing here, but off the top of my head I'd look at the window track mounting and the cables from the door latch as possible suspects.
Wow sure enough the cables were the criminals. Thanks man. I can't believe i didn't pay attention to that. Felt furniture pads placed correctly will solve the problem. Now my car is quiet again <3

EDIT: It was quiet for about a day, then the rattling kicked back up. I'll just have to buy an exhaust to cover the sound lol.

Last edited by Shayy; 04-27-11 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-01-11, 02:55 PM
Batiatus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JspecSC3

-Front of car around fan area at idle.

I have the same annoying noise and can't figure out how to get rid of it. I know this thread is old but did you ever get rid of it?

I have a lot of little noises, but most are from mods I've done like exhaust or sound system. The engine noise bugs me though cause its at idle when everything else is quiet.
Old 05-01-11, 03:04 PM
Shayy
Intermediate

yeah i recently had to deal with a squeaky whistle sound coming from the belt area at idle on cold starts. So embarrassing.
Old 05-01-11, 04:42 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm beginning to love this thread since I bought my SC400 with 163K miles on it, and noises and squeaks are the first things I noticed...

Mine are, a loud humming sound, (almost sounds like you're running on off-road tires) specially around 40mph and 70mph, and also a clanking sound when shifting from R to D and vice-versa...

Already have a thread about it but can't find any DIY or diagrams to point where to find that dang pinion bearing and carrier bearing...
Old 05-23-11, 02:13 AM
RockRash
Pole Position

this thread aint dead yet. i got a large list coming up of noises that are just now showing up. i'll update after i figure out if i got a bad wheel bearing
Old 05-23-11, 09:41 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Squeaky Driftmotion manual pedal set.
Old 05-23-11, 02:28 PM
RockRash
Pole Position

i guess this fixes the sound. at some point of time it started to sound like a train when turning. scrubbing rubbing etc - this mourning i was backing up and boom like pop type boom. pull back up the drive way jack the car up and im missing the upper caliper bolt. how it came out i don't know. i've checked over everything twice. so off to tractor supply to try to find a bolt. get the right size and it barely wanted to go into the bracket but treaded into the caliper perfectly. drove to a tire shop and they tightened it down as much as they could. i'll be ordered bolts from Lexus . but i guess if your caliper wants to shoot off the bolts then your gonna have a train like noise. now it's nice and quite and rides like a charm. sorry for the long post it's been days since i've been working on this thing

Quick Reply: Official Thread: Where's that damn noise coming from?