SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Official Thread: Where's that damn noise coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-05, 08:14 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

My seat makes funky noises when I brake hard. also seems like it lurches forward a little sometimes when i brake hard also. Gets annoying after a while.
Old 01-25-06, 11:16 PM
trystanu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an issue with a whine in my SC400 that comes and goes when accelerating slowly or coasting on cold mornings at between 20-25, 35-40 and 45-50 mph. It's a sort-of howling / whining noise that fills the whole cabin and makes it hard to work out where it's coming from. When it's really playing up I can hear another kind of whring noise coming from under the center console.

It was diagnosed by the lexus mechanics as originating in my differential, but I've since had it replaced and that doesn't seem to be it. It only happens on cold mornings (it's worse the colder the temperature) and seems to go away after driving for about 5 minutes.

Anyone fixed a noise like this -- does it sound like the driveshaft? It drives me nuts in winter.

t.
Old 01-26-06, 01:26 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear deck. It makes an annoying vibration when music is playing
Old 02-12-06, 09:38 AM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Older thread, but I've still got noises.

Ive got a grinding noise when I go from 1st to second and sometimes 2nd to 3rd if I'm moving slowly. This is in combination with the jerky shifts that my car makes while slowly going from 1st-2nd gear.

When I'm slowing down, I can faintly hear a paddling sound. It almost sounds like a playing card in a bicycle spoke. It seems to be coming from the firewall area on the passenger's side.
Old 03-22-06, 07:42 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Older thread, but I've still got noises.

Ive got a grinding noise when I go from 1st to second and sometimes 2nd to 3rd if I'm moving slowly. This is in combination with the jerky shifts that my car makes while slowly going from 1st-2nd gear.

When I'm slowing down, I can faintly hear a paddling sound. It almost sounds like a playing card in a bicycle spoke. It seems to be coming from the firewall area on the passenger's side.

I had this EXACT same problem when I owned my 95 SC400 that was the same color as yours! Are you sure you didnt buy my old car? ahahah

I could never get if fixed! I tried EVERYTHING including:
-Replaced Tranny 2 times
-Replaced Center Support Bearing for Drive Shaft
-Replaced Drive Shaft
-had 3 Lexus dealership and 2 Toyota dealership search for the noise (with no success).
-Replace ALL fluids several times.

I litterally dropped almost $7000 trying to fix it!... never could.. sold the car with the problem.

Let me know if your car starts to stall when coming to a stop. Mine would idle so low that it would stall. Sometimes I couldn't even tell it had turned off.

If you are going to try and spend any money to fix your problem, let me know first so I can tell you if I tried with any success. Thanks
Old 03-22-06, 07:51 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

I've got an annoying *** buzz rattle somewhere that occurs when I am at 2400-2800 RPMs and it seems to only occur when the temperature gets warm outside....i can't locate the damn thing, when I think its coming from the rear view mirror, it suddenly moves to the sunroof area...sometimes it sounds like its coming from the cluster, or the drivers side visor...AHHHHHHHH Its so annoying!
Old 03-22-06, 08:43 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

I run open downpipe alot so it viabrates the heck out of my car. After doing that for a while, everything squeeks, creeks, and beeps even with an exhaust system on.
Old 03-22-06, 08:26 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I had this EXACT same problem when I owned my 95 SC400 that was the same color as yours! Are you sure you didnt buy my old car? ahahah

-Replaced Tranny 2 times
-Replaced Drive Shaft
-had 3 Lexus dealership and 2 Toyota dealership search for the noise (with no success).

I litterally dropped almost $7000 trying to fix it!... never could.. sold the car with the problem.

Let me know if your car starts to stall when coming to a stop. Mine would idle so low that it would stall. Sometimes I couldn't even tell it had turned off.

If you are going to try and spend any money to fix your problem, let me know first so I can tell you if I tried with any success. Thanks
I'm thinking the grinding sound is a heat shield over one of my cats. I'll be putting it on a lift soon to check it out.

My car has stalled one me twice. I didn't even notice it until I went to go from a stop light and got no movement. It stalled in Drive, so I just put it in park and restarted it. No problems while in motion as of yet.

I might have your car. Haha. Was yours bought in Manhattan?
Old 03-22-06, 09:08 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I'm thinking the grinding sound is a heat shield over one of my cats. I'll be putting it on a lift soon to check it out.

My car has stalled one me twice. I didn't even notice it until I went to go from a stop light and got no movement. It stalled in Drive, so I just put it in park and restarted it. No problems while in motion as of yet.

I might have your car. Haha. Was yours bought in Manhattan?
I don't think you have my car, but I am starting to think there may have been an issue with the 95 SC400s.

Everytime I took my car to a Lexus Dealership they would have someone in the car on a lift and would put it in drive and try to hear the noise. You won't hear it unless the car is under load (driving on the ground). I'm telling you, this problem is going to drive you insane!

Your stalling issue is IDENTICAL to mine. I would pull up to a red light and then when it changed I would realize that all my dash lights were on and the car had stalled.

here's a picture of it.
Old 03-22-06, 09:12 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

I'll let you know the outcome of setting the car up on the lift.

The grinding is pretty embarrassing. Hopefully I can get rid of it.
Old 03-22-06, 09:23 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I'll let you know the outcome of setting the car up on the lift.

The grinding is pretty embarrassing. Hopefully I can get rid of it.
Yes, it was for me also.... the Fluttering noise drove me crazy though
Old 03-23-06, 06:57 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

I get this same kinda thing...but I diagnosed mine as loose lugnuts. When my lugnuts get loose, for some reason they only do so on the front passenger wheel I get this kind of noise at low speeds and slowing down/turning at a particular angle. Just a thought.
Old 03-23-06, 03:43 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Originally Posted by IronCobra

-Replaced Tranny 2 times
-Replaced Drive Shaft

Yes. I had that problem... as it turned out, a branch had somehow wedged itself in with the driveshaft, in the only spot onthe underside where the driveshaft was exposed.... It sounded like a playing card in bicycle wheel spokes. I crawled under the car and pulled the branch out. Might not be the same for you tho.
Old 03-29-06, 05:25 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

My driver's door panel just started to creek. I tightened a little screw un the underside of the armrest today, but it's still loose. Now the little 'panel' where the window switches are is getting loose. I need to find how to tighten this up.

Is there a Hanes manual availiable for our cars? I'm hoping to tackle the grinding and door panel creeking this weekend.
Old 03-29-06, 05:34 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

My driver's door panel just started to creek. I tightened a little screw un the underside of the armrest today, but it's still loose. Now the little 'panel' where the window switches are is getting loose. I need to find how to tighten this up.

Is there a Hanes manual availiable for our cars? I'm hoping to tackle the grinding and door panel creeking this weekend.
I've got the same rattle, right where your left knee would hit if you rested it on the door panel. It annoys me when it squeaks...if you figure out a fix, let me know

Quick Reply: Official Thread: Where's that damn noise coming from?