SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2000 Lexus SC A classic luxury coupe (review)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-05, 09:32 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up 2000 Lexus SC A classic luxury coupe (review)

http://www.wreg.com/global/story.asp?s=2590970

Overview

Though it has become a familiar sight, the Lexus SC sport coupe has proven to be that great rarity, a classic from day one. At curbside, it exudes an elegant, timeless grace. Settling into its interior--surprisingly spacious for a sport coupe--you find the beautiful leather, handsome bird's eye wood trim and all the other features expected of a premier luxury car.

The SC 400's 32-valve V8 exhibits the ice-cool smoothness associated with every Lexus. But this demure circumspection is combined with truly fiery performance whenever you stamp your foot down. The SC 400 is the kind of all-purpose trophy car that makes you feel smarter, younger, better-looking. What's not to like about that?

Model Lineup

Two models are available: SC 400 ($55,905)and SC 300 ($43,405).

While the SC 300 and SC 400 share underpinnings, their individual engines endow them with distinctly different characters. SC 300 shares its high-output 220-horsepower 3.0-liter inline-6 with the Lexus GS 300 performance sedan. SC 400 comes with a 4.0-liter double overhead-cam V8 that produces 290 horsepower. Both come with electronically controlled automatic transmissions.

ABS-regulated ventilated disc brakes are standard all around. (In most cars fade-resistant ventilated discs are used only in front.) Other safety provisions include dual front airbags and front seatbelt pretensioners. Traction control is optional and comes bundled with heated seats.

Standard SC 400 features include defogging outside mirrors with automatic dimming and an automatic headlight-on/off system. A lengthy selection of options can be added to these well-equipped models. An automatic garage door opener is incorporated in the moonroof option, and the car's security system includes a fail-safe engine immobilizer.

Walkaround

In appearance, the SC inhabits a category of one. Sleekly formed without being excessively melted or lacking in character, nothing else looks or feels like this personal coupe. Its long, lean lines form a smoothly modeled wedge that seems not to have aged one week since its 1991 introduction, neither flashy, on the one hand, nor dowdy, on the other.

Lexus will be introducing a new SC in fall 2000.

Interior Features

Despite the SC 400's gathering age, its interior is as expected in any Lexus, elegant and ergonomically superb. Location and operation of all the controls and switchgear is intuitive and pleasing. The instrumentation is composed of a large, easily readable speedometer and tachometer, both featuring Lexus' striking electroluminescent night-lighting. With the running lights on at night, your instruments seem suspended in mid-air. Climate and audio controls are gimmick-free and straightforward, a model for others to copy. Similarly, the cruise control foregoes any main on-off switch. You simply select, cancel, accelerate, decelerate or resume with one simple manipulation of the control.

The steering wheel has both vertical and telescoping adjustments, coupled with automatic memory and an automatic tilt-away function for easy entry. The latter also draws the seat rearward to make way for you as you climb in, then readjusts to your preselected driving position. Memory for two different seating positions is standard, as are two cupholders, one of which pops cleverly out of the dash for the passenger.

Our test car was furnished with heated leather seats. The seats are adjusted with intuitive analog adjusters, essentially copied from the original Mercedes-Benz analog adjusters of the mid 1980s. These adjusters are located on the outside of each seat cushion. The seats themselves are very sporting in character, providing good support and lateral positioning, while their glove-quality leather is utterly delicious. The SC 400 shows its age in one area here, however -- no automatic-up is provided for the windows and only the driver's window has an automatic-down.

Our test car had the Lexus audio system in place of the high-end Nakamichi audio option. This rich and responsive audio package proved highly satisfying. Volume adjusts automatically to compensate for ambient noise by rising vehicle speed. A six-disc CD automatic changer comes standard. Our test car also included the optional power tilt and one-touch open moonroof, together with the companion electronic garage door opener.

SC 400 is a sport coupe, and there is very little rear legroom. But otherwise, the rear seating is quite generous for a coupe of this type. If you look at the SC 400's roofline, of course, you see immediately why its headroom is excellent. The trunk's capacity, however, is just as should be expected, with 9.3 cubic feet, just about right for a road trip by two adults, with a smidgeon more for additional purchases along the way.

Driving Impressions

Hidden behind the SC 400's dignified contours is a performance-built weapon that can accelerate to 60 mph at just a tick above six seconds flat. Begin selecting gears manually and getting after its 290-horsepower throttle pedal, and the SC 400 is swiftly transformed to a masculine apex-strafer of the first order. Like few other personal cars, this SC has the ability to be all things to all drivers.

The glass-smooth four-liter Lexus V8 features continuously variable valve timing, which further enhances the stellar performance, fuel economy and clean-burn qualities of this engine. Power is transmitted through a superb five-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission. This superb drivetrain is electronically limited to 149 mph.

With 220 horsepower, the SC 300 can sprint from 0-60 mph in 7.9 seconds with a top track speed of 146 mph. It comes with a four-speed automatic. (The five-speed manual is no longer available.)

This is not a small coupe, and the minute you take it into traffic, you become aware of its considerable bulk. Its gear selector follows the staggered multi-gate approached used by Mercedes-Benz. If you are in constant-state touring mode, you'll likely never move the selector out of Drive. The SC 400 is extremely quiet at cruising velocity, and even at prurient rates of speed it makes barely a whisper of wind noise. It's phenomenal.

However, a fine sport coupe surely deserves better than an entire lifetime of straight-and-level Interstate duty. And when you veer off the highway onto a curvy road, the SC 400 really comes to life. It is still a large vehicle, but its front and rear sway bars and double wishbone suspension deliver excellent control in vigorous maneuvering. Body roll is reassuringly mild, and our car's optional Goodyear Eagle GT+4 all-season tires proved grippy and very stable.

The SC 400 suspension system is composed of genuine double wishbones at each corner, damped by gas-pressurized shock absorbers that resist overheating and fatigue. The SC 400's speed-sensitive power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering is particularly quick and sporting, needing only 3.1 turns lock to lock.

The SC 400 five-speed automatic can be selected nearly as authoritatively as would be allowed with a good manual transmission. Suddenly, this boulevard-ready freeway cruiser becomes a back-country ridge runner. Its turn-in is positive and stable, and its steering input, while not Porsche-like, is certainly crisp enough to encourage moving your average speed up a notch.

Yet the minute you return to the Interstate or the endless urban muddle, this plainclothes ridge runner goes right back to appearing demure and innocent, as if it would never dream of chirping a tire. The most spectacular side of this coupe is that its suspension is so gentle-riding and forgiving on rough surfaces, and at the same time, so agile and well-controlled when asked to hurry along. That is a balancing act that, until very recently, only the best Europeans had mastered. With the SC 400, Lexus is right up there at the peak of multi-purpose versatility.

The traction-control system available on the SC 400 has three settings. In descending order of activation, they are ECT (electronically controlled throttle), PWR, and Snow. The latter virtually overrides the system to allow the wheelslip encountered with snow and snow chains, while the former two allow for varying degrees of activation. We found this three-choice system excellent and perfectly in keeping with the spirit of the sporty SC 400. It lets the driver select a moderate activation schedule, allowing small amounts of wheelspin before summoning the ABS system. This permits a degree of sporting driving that is impossible with some much more obtrusive, short-fused traction-control systems. On the other hand, if you want to be securely nailed down to the pavement in wet going, the ECT setting works best.

Summary

The Lexus SC 400 is the automotive equivalent of the Renaissance Man. It has as many areas of expertise as any luxury automobile you can find. It's equally at home in hard corners or stealing silently up to the country club. Its elegance has made it extremely popular in a market that supposedly shuns the personal sport coupe.

But this car is more than just another pretty face. Its enormously exciting V8 comes on with a delicious growl the instant the throttle slams down. If $56,000 seems steep, much of the SC400's wonderfulness is available in the $43,405 SC 300. No matter your preference, you'll find something to like about this truly superb car.

Model Line Overview

* Model lineup: SC 400 ($55,905); SC 300 ($43,405)
* Engines: 4.0-liter dohc 32v V8
* Transmissions: 5-speed automatic
* Safety equipment (standard): Dual airbags, front seatbelt pretensioners, ABS standard; traction control optional
* Safety equipment (optional): N/A
* Basic warranty: 4 years/50,000 miles
* Assembled in: Kanji, Japan

Specifications as Tested

* Model tested (MSRP): SC 400 ($55,905)
* Standard equipment: automatic climate control, cruise control, automatic dimming inside/outside mirrors, automatic on/off headlamps, theft deterrent system w/ engine immobilizer, birdseye maple trim, remote keyless entry, power tilt/telescopic steering wheel, power locks/windows/mirrors/seats/antenna, trip computer, two-position memory, leather, AM/FM/cassette/CD audio
* Options as tested (MSRP): Color-keyed rear spoiler ($440); moonroof garage door opener, sunshade ($1,130); traction control ($1,240); all-season tires (NC); carpeted trunk mat ($66)
* Destination charge: 495
* Gas guzzler tax: N/A
* Price as tested (MSRP): $59276
* Layout: rear-wheel drive
* Engine: 4.0-liter dohc 32v V8; 3.0-liter dohc 24v V6
* Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 290 @ 6000
* Torque (lb.-ft @ rpm): 300 @ 4000
* Transmission: 5-speed automatic; 4-speed automatic
* EPA fuel economy, city/hwy (mpg): 19/25
* Wheelbase (in.): 105.9
* Length/width/height (in.): 192.5/70.9/53.2
* Track, f/r (in.): 59.8/60.0
* Turning circle (ft.): 36.1
* Seating capacity: 4
* Head/hip/leg room, f (in.): 38.3/55.1/44.1
* Head/hip/leg room, m (in.): N/A
* Head/hip/leg room, r (in.): 36.1/39.2/27.2
* Cargo volume (cu. ft.): 9.3
* Payload: N/A
* Towing capacity (lbs.): 3655
* Suspension, f: Independent
* Suspension, r: Independent
* Ground clearance (in.): N/A
* Cub weight (lbs.): N/A
* Tires: P225/55VR16
* Fuel capacity (gal.): 20.6
Old 11-18-05, 09:34 PM
LexFather

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicl.../solo0020.html

SPECIFICATIONS

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price $ 55,905
Price As Tested $ 59,236
Engine Type VVTi DOHC 32-valve 4.0 Liter V8 w/SMFI*
Engine Size 242 cid/3969 cc
Horsepower 290 @ 6000 RPM
Torque (lb-ft) 300 @ 4000 RPM
Wheelbase/Width/Length 105.9"/70.9"/192.9"
Transmission Five-speed automatic
Curb Weight 3681 pounds
Fuel Capacity 20.6 gallons
Tires (F/R) 225/55R16 V-rated
Brakes (F/R) Disc (ABS)/disc (ABS)
Drive Train Front-engine/rear-wheel-drive
Vehicle Type Four-passenger/two-door
Domestic Content N/A
Coefficient of Drag (Cd.) 0.31

PERFORMANCE

EPA Economy, miles per gallon
city/highway/average 18/25/22

0-60 MPH 6.5 seconds
1/4 (E.T.) 15.0 seconds @ 98.0 mph
Top-speed 149 mph
* Sequential multi-port fuel injection

When the Lexus SC 400 coupe appeared in 1991, no one would have thought it would last almost 10 years without major changes. It was so advanced in engineering that as other car makers were changing models every two to four years, the SC stayed the same and sold well. The SC 400 still garners universal acclaim because it's a great tourer.

OUTSIDE - The SC 400 adheres to the low roof/sleek-line formula of luxury coupe building. It's been using the same design for a very long time but still manages to look timeless among the flood of vanilla- styled cars on the road today. Its long, pointed nose is purposely sculpted to assist in a low 0.31 drag coefficient, while a gaping valance scoop is set low in the front bumper to feed fresh air to the engine. A set of oval driving lights flank a slit-like grille which was added in 1997. Lexus-built quality means there are perfectly-measured seams between all of the body panels, and perfectly-matched lines between the polymer bumper caps and the cut lines of the steel body. Most of the bolt-on items of the car are body-color (door handles, outside mirrors, optional rear spoiler, etc.) but there's a small amount of chrome trim framing the windows and grille. Sixteen-inch alloy wheel and 55-series performance tires are standard.

INSIDE - The first thing to be noticed when climbing aboard an SC 400 is the way the doors open. Lexus engineers created four-link door hinges that allow the doors to pop outward while swinging open to enlarge the opening. This is especially handy when the car is squeezed tightly in a mall parking space. Its overstuffed front bucket seats are bolstered beautifully and are very soft, yet they hold their occupants firmly and are powered 10 ways with two memory pre-sets for the driver's seat. The steering column is electrically adjustable both in vertical and telescopic fashion, and it also swings away when the door is opened. The controls operate with a silky snap, and are placed logically for simple operation. The back seat is small (it is, after all, a coupe) and a lack of headroom up front for those over six feet tall. Standard features include automatic climate control, seven-speaker stereo, leather upholstery, power windows, door locks and outside mirrors (also heated) and cellular phone pre-wiring.

ON THE ROAD - The technical acumen of the Lexus line matches its exterior and interior quality. Our SC 400 tester came equipped with a very sophisticated 4.0-liter V8 engine that produces 290 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque. It's technologically advanced with dual overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, electronic throttle control and a new system from Toyota labeled "Variable Valve Timing with intelligence" (VVTi). The system provides infinitely adjustable camshaft timing to optimize the engine's breathing, regardless of the RPM. An electronically-controlled five-speed automatic transmission is standard, while traction control is optional.

BEHIND THE WHEEL - The SC rides on true four-wheel double wishbone independent suspension. Its components include coil springs, gas shocks and front and rear stabilizer bars. Some of the suspension pieces are made of forged aluminum which saves weight, while "grippy" Goodyear Eagle all-season tires are optional. As expected, the ride is smooth and supple, and maybe a bit too muted for some. An exorbitant amount of insulation in the dashboard, cowl, floor structure and trunk partition quiets the cabin, while its snug-fitting doors seal out virtually all wind noise. Its speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion steering offers excellent road feel and precision, and four-wheel disc brakes are sized 11.6 inches up front and 12 inches in back. With a three-channel anti-lock braking system (ABS) as standard equipment (four-channel with the traction control option), stopping power is awesome. We pulled our test SC 400 down from speed quickly on both wet and dry pavement with little or no brake fade after repeated stops.

SAFETY - Dual dashboard airbags, ABS and side-impact door beams are standard, traction control is optional.

OPTIONS - Uplevel stereo: $1200; power sunroof: $1130; rear spoiler: $440; trunk mat: $66.
Old 11-19-05, 01:49 AM
Nerpie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad no one bought one in 2000. I believe Lexus only sold 1500 of them in 2000. I would love to own a 2000 SC. Although I love my 93 SC4, it cant beat the interior/exterior of of the newer SC coupes. Oh, plus the 40 extra ponies
Old 11-19-05, 06:08 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

gadgetSC-t
Old 11-19-05, 06:22 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nerpie
Too bad no one bought one in 2000. I believe Lexus only sold 1500 of them in 2000. I would love to own a 2000 SC. Although I love my 93 SC4, it cant beat the interior/exterior of of the newer SC coupes. Oh, plus the 40 extra ponies
I agree, it is a worthy possession. Here I am planning to buy another brand of car when I should be looking at another SC...a 2000 SC400. I'b be happy with that.
Old 11-19-05, 11:27 AM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

I liked the SC from the first time I seen one. I just had to have one. Luky for me I found one in great condition a 99SC400 with all the options (fully loaded). The SC is a great car The SC is a keeper.
Old 11-19-05, 11:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have never had the pleasure of being inside an original SC and this review makes me want to be in one so bad!
Old 11-19-05, 11:54 AM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

That review makes me smile.
I waited to get mine for 5 years. Finally Got it with only 9252 miles. (up to 10,800 now)

Im thinking of buying another car to keep the miles down on mine.....but I love driving it too much.

Just wish my wheels would get here.....

No plans of ever selling mine.
Old 11-19-05, 12:54 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by King7Two
That review makes me smile.
I waited to get mine for 5 years. Finally Got it with only 9252 miles. (up to 10,800 now)

Im thinking of buying another car to keep the miles down on mine.....but I love driving it too much.

Just wish my wheels would get here.....

No plans of ever selling mine.
If I only had your car... damn you make me jealous!

I got my SC300 back almost 4 years ago with 40k miles on the ODO... I now have 115,000 miles and it's still going strong. But there is still no feeling in the world like having a LOW LOW LOW mile car that you LOVE!...

The 95 SC400 that I had was AWESOME other than the fact it was plagued with little annoying problems that drove me insane (noise from the tranny, stalling, and PSP going out along with the alternator). It was actually a great reliable car that went the distance. I bought that car with 115,000 miles on it and traded it in on my 97 SC300 at 135,000 miles.

I still miss my 93 GS300 though.. Talk about a rock solid sedan.. WOW, my father even liked driving it more than his 00 Caddy STS (brand new at the time).

I love these cars and the Lexus name will stay with me as long as I'm driving.
Old 04-12-08, 01:52 AM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I just came across a 2000 SC400 BLK on tan with only 50k miles, and obviously bought it immediately the first day it came on the market and had it shipped from NJ to CA. It's stunning. I also owned a 95 SC400 and the 00 is just incredible. Only 324 of the 400's were produced! I feel so lucky to have found it! Now the only thing left for me to do is to overhaul the stereo system. It came with every option, but the Nak just does nothing for me. I'll give updates..
Old 04-12-08, 02:17 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

it's reviews like this that makes me love the SC even more than I possibly can
Old 04-12-08, 07:43 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, old thread revival, but that was a really good read.
Old 04-12-08, 01:58 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

Yeah I absolutely fell in love with the 1st gen SC when I first saw them on the streets. Problem is that here in the Northeast, its pretty hard to find 1st gen SCs. At any given time, there wont be more than 25 SC300/SC400 on Autotrader within 200 miles of my town, and most of them are 92' or 93' with very high miles and worn exteriors/interiors. I wanted a red 98-00 SC400. Unfortunately the closest one I could find was over 300 miles away, and it was too expensive for me ($17,500). I ended up coming across my 97' being sold privately for just $6500 with just 103k miles, an absolute bargain. I would have preferred a 98+ with the gated shifter and 290 HP 5-spd, but I guess we can't have it all.

One question I got; a lot of reviews I read say that the 98+ SC400 can manually select gears; is that true? I know the GS400 came with this ability with M-shifting on both the shifter and steering wheel, but I thought the LS400 and SC400 didn't.
Old 04-12-08, 06:07 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Man..i got my SC for free
Old 08-15-15, 03:07 AM
Havokk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default found my unicorn...

I found my unicorn. A 2000 Lexus sc400, Silver on black with 90k and clean title. It will be here in 5 days. I can;t believe i found the color scheme i wanted more than anything... Good to be back and a part of the lexus sc club. I miss my 1995 sc300... but holy hell i always wanted this one and in this year. I figure it would be worth revitalizing this old thread.

Quick Reply: 2000 Lexus SC A classic luxury coupe (review)