SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

sc300 sc400 Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-01, 05:56 PM
rboorgu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Well it looks like I am going to have to replace my power steering pump. It is leaking fluid and whining quite a bit. Does anyone have a good source for a rebuilt unit or low cost alternative to buying new from the dealer?? Thanks in advance

Raj:
Old 06-22-01, 06:15 PM
ChuH
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool Power Steering Pumps

Two years ago I replaced my pump with a Toyota certified refurbish pump unit for about $280 on my 1995 SC400 and labor was about 2 hours. My father's 1995 LS400's steering pump went out last month and I could not find a refurbish unit available but they had a rebuild kit for only $24. The local Lexus dealer quoted me 3 hours but it took them 6 hours (they had some difficulties with the kit). They charged me 3 hours because that was what they quoted me.

I purchased the pump and rebuild kit from Jay Marks Toyotal (Contact: Belinda) at 800-327-2087.

If it is leaking fluid I recommend that you also purchase a rebuild alternator. I had to replace the alternators on both the SC400 and LS400 after a couple of months. The whining should mean fluid is low and there is air in the power steering system.

Chu...
Old 06-22-01, 08:14 PM
whitediamond
Pole Position

Default rebuild if your inclined

I rebuilt mine in 3.5 hours. Kit cost 40.00 or so. However i would suggest this procedure for those that are mechanically inclined. Lasted 30k miles before car was sold. No problems.
Old 07-30-01, 08:36 PM
reLEXin247
Rookie

Has anyone else had any problems with aftermarket powersteering pumps for their sc400? I'm so fed up with it all. my powersteering pump went out Christmas morning 1999, so a few days later I bought an aftermarket one and put it in myself. Well this last April, it went bad again so I had my mechanic replace it ( the auto parts place replaced it under a "lifetime" warranty.) Well now it's leaking again.... I've talked to my closest lexus dealer and asked the service manager if there was ever a recall or at least a shield to protect the alternator. He says that they just go out and it's a common problem. Well what the F#@$ kind of answer is that? I would expect that from a Chevy or Ford dealer, but really... from a strictly luxury car maker? Anyways, I've strayed off the subject. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a NEW factory pump? Thanks everyone for reading all my *****ing.

Old 07-31-01, 04:51 AM
GeneK25
Rookie

If it's leaking as you describe, you would probably need just to replace plastic rubber seals on the pump it self. I believe it's about $4 from the dealer. No need to replace the whole thing. Try that first. My mechanic told me that.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-01, 11:17 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace the high pressure line of the power steering pump.

This is just to tell us that Lexus isn't any better than... It is still a Toyota, it just break less than other.
Old 07-31-01, 02:32 PM
LEXUSDOC
Driver School Candidate

Bottom line.....

You get what you pay for! The quality of aftermarket parts for these cars is very poor. You can buy a reseal kit at the dealer for around $40.00 it has all the correct seals and is not hard for any mechanic to replace.

DOC
Old 07-31-01, 04:17 PM
reLEXin247
Rookie

all of the lines have been replaced, the bottom line is that Lexus knows that they have a problem with the powersteering pump but they won't do anything about it. Anyways, does anyone know where I can get a brand new oem pump for less than $430.00, because that's the lowest my closest Lexus dealer will go.
Old 07-31-01, 05:42 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Steve Ganz of Carson Toyota can get you one cheaper
gonzo4u@earthlink.net

post the price so I know how much
Old 08-02-01, 04:41 PM
stuart browne
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default power steering pump

I work on Lexus cars for a dealer.If your pump is leaking found out from where,the most common place is the fluid reservoir tank. There is an o ring under the tank that does not last because of the heat from engine. If it is leaking from any other place besides the pressure tube get the gasket kit from dealer and get a it rebuilt. I see a lot of leaking pumps that have been bought from auto parts store and they are rebuilt with very poor seals. The best rebuilts we have seen are from AC DELCO yes GM because they use Toyota seals. There rebuilt pumps from any auto store are about $190,if your pump is still under warranty tell them to get it.
Old 08-03-01, 06:21 AM
reLEXin247
Rookie

I emailed Steve Ganz about the pump. He has the OEM new pump for $338.00 which is about the lowest price i've found for it.
Old 11-22-01, 11:29 AM
jyw
Driver School Candidate

Question how can I inspect pwr steering pump on 92 SC400?

I just reached an agreement to buy a 92 SC400, female-owned, garaged and dealer-maintained, with 129K and all options, for $8K. (I think I did pretty well there, any comments?)

For a variety of reasons including distance from home, I'm planning to buy this before having my mechanic look at it--I'm going to drive it straight to him and have him do the 120K timing belt maintenance that hasn't been done yet.

My question is whether or not I can spot a power steering pump leak myself, since this seems to be one of the most common problems with this model year.

Also, is there anything else in particular I should look out for during my final pre-purchase lookover?

Thanks--I'm pretty psyched about this car!

jw
Old 11-23-01, 02:59 AM
videofxr
Rookie

Default Power steering

You will see fluid on the engine dust shield
and the hoses. Just open the hood and look down
behind radiator to the left. Dust shield and
hoses should be dry. You can drive car with
most pumps leaking, they just make a mess.
Old 04-05-02, 07:05 AM
SCFriend
Rookie

Default Power Steering Pump Failure?

My friend with a CDN-spec 97 SC400 has been getting an odd noise when starting the car on cooler mornings lately...trip in to the dealer confirmed it's the power steering pump on its way out. Is this the sort of thing that up and fails "catastrophically" or does it just gradually get worse? He's wondering if he absolutely must replace it immediately, since on warmer days there is no noise from it at all....
Old 04-05-02, 07:44 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Power Steering Pump Failure?

Check for leaks around the P/S pump, hoses. Check the fluid level regularly to determine the rate of fluid lost. Also, check smoke for the tail pipe at start up (P/S valve).

If it is indeed the P/S pump, change it asap. If you prolong the change, you will have to change the alternator also. The alternator located below the P/S pump and the fluid drip down which will short the alternator.

Do you have Autozone in Canada. This will cost you a lot of money for labor, unless you can change it yourself. Its not that difficult.

I had to change the P/S pump in Oct-01 then the alternator in Dec-01. I don't know how long the pump leaks on mine because when I bought it in late Aug.-01 it already leaks and the last owner said he knew about the leak but he going to sell the car anyway and he hasn't drive it since June-01.

Quick Reply: sc300 sc400 Power Steering Pump