SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Worth repairing, or just look for a mint SC? Pics...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 06:30 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Worth repairing, or just look for a mint SC? Pics...

Hey guys, I've been browsing the forums for some time now while I've been looking for an SC to use as a daily driver. Anyway, I REALLY like the 97-00 body style, but considering how well these cars wear, can't justify spending four times as much on the car just for the newer body style when the mileage isn't that important.

Anyway, in my search I stumbled across this car that's local. Here's the description:

THIS LEXUS SC400 COUPE RUNS AND DRIVES, BUT WAS INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT, NEEDS LIGHT WORK ON THE FRONT NOSE. NO FRAME OR CHASSIS DAMAGE. IT WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING REPAIRED: RADIATOR & SUPPORT, HEADLAMP, BUMPER, & MISC. A HOOD WILL BE SUPPLIED ALONG WITH PURCHASE. IT COMES WITH A CLEAN TITLE, BILL OF SALE, AND CARFAX CERTIFIED REPORT.

Here's some pics...

He said that while the car runs and drives, he wouldn't recommend driving it anywhere because the fan is pushed into the radiator, but he would flatbed it to my house for free. The car has 126,000 miles on it, and he's asking $3,500obo. I'm quite mechanically inclined (my other car is a DSM, I have to be), and I figure that I can talk to guy down a bit, do the radiator and the minor (hopefully) mechanicals myself, then have a body shop paint a 97-00 style bumper for me.

Should I do it? How bad do you think the damage is? Could I easily replace that radiator support? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 03-01-05, 06:31 PM
High PSI
Advanced

Default More pics....

By the way, the white stuff on the back and sides of the car is just salt or a reflection from the snow. He said the body, besides the front bumper, is mint.

Old 03-01-05, 06:34 PM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the price of the car and to fix it, you might as well get a good one. i just picked up a slightly under mint 93 SC300 for 5k with 115k miles. i dunno the price difference between the 300 and 400 though, cuz i've never researched the 400's. how much lower is it off kbb cuz of the damage?
Old 03-01-05, 06:36 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

That damage is weak, but not weak enough to support that price. $2k would be my top bid.
Old 03-01-05, 06:39 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

if you shop wisely, you can get it done. use used parts. or look here:

www.discounttoyotapart.com

also check Ebay.

my suspeicion is starightening/replacement of the core support and then paint are going to be the bigges expensis.

remeber, its sold as is.

the inteior looks WELL taken care of.

iwould probably go for it. btu then again, im spending well over $5,000 dollars restoringa car thats only worth $3,000 at most. so take my advice as you will.

PS, forgive my typing, i am very tired, i havent slept since sunday night...(oh i take that back, 1 hr of sleep yesterday, at my desk at work (lunch break) so please, bear with me).
Old 03-01-05, 07:10 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

spend money fixing a 95 sc300(stick)which has some more value than the one you are looking at, this is coming for sale next week, a CL owner's former car.

Old 03-01-05, 07:24 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

i dont think it is worth 3500 maybe 2000.
Old 03-01-05, 07:34 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the damage is light... just get him to come down a bit on that price. the interior looks great though.
Old 03-01-05, 07:44 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

the damage is light, but parts cost money.

that car needs the following maybe more:
hood
bumper
rad support
2 high beams
1 headlight
radiator
condensor
fans
coolant reservoir
fan shroud
Old 03-02-05, 09:52 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Question

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
if you shop wisely, you can get it done. use used parts. or look here:

www.discounttoyotapart.com

also check Ebay.

my suspeicion is starightening/replacement of the core support and then paint are going to be the bigges expensis.

This is my biggest question, and maybe you (or someone here), can answer it for me:

The "core support" that is damaged, is this the same thing as the radiator support that bolts up in front? Just by looking at the car, do you think I would have to bend a lot of stuff back, or could most if it be replaced, to the point that after the fact, it would be difficult to tell afterwards that the car was ever in an accident? Not that I'm going to try to fix it for ultra cheap, sell it, and then try and screw someone, I might just regret later on popping the hood and seeing a trashed engine bay that I can't do anything about, when I know that for $500 or so more (after all the parts) I could have had one that doesn't have ANY damage.
Old 03-02-05, 10:09 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Originally Posted by aliga
the damage is light, but parts cost money.

that car needs the following maybe more:
hood
bumper
rad support
2 high beams
1 headlight
radiator
condensor
fans
coolant reservoir
fan shroud
Just wanted to say thanks everyone for all the input! In regards to your post, aliga:

He stated the car came with a hood (didn't ask him if it was painted black or not), and I asked him about the condensor. Here were my questions:

1) You mentioned that the car "runs and drives", but that it needs a
radiator. Is the radiator just leaking slightly or is it completely
destroyed? If it's completely destroyed, how was the car driven? If
it's just leaking, could it survive an 80 mile drive?

2) Usually the A/C condensor sits directly in front of or behind the
radiator. Was this damaged? Also, in the third picture down, it looks
as if the A/C lines (which can be seen through the area where the
headlight used to be) are damaged. Were any of these split?

3) You mentioned that it needs a new "radiator support." Are these
just brackets that hold the radiator into place, or is this the actual
metal that runs at the top of the radiatior between the two fenders.
If it IS the metal that runs between the two fenders,does a new piece
have to be cut and welded in, or can it be unbolted somehow? Looking
at the angle the battery is sitting at, it looks as if this piece is
bent pretty severely.

4) In the other pictures of the car where you can see the rear quarter
panels and bumper, it looks like there is some white stuff on the car.
Is this salt, a reflection from the snow, or paint?

5) You mention that the car comes with a CD player and changer. Are
both the changer and CD player stock or aftermarket units?

And his answers....

ITS MY GOAL TO ANSWER ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS REGARDING THE CAR AS WELL AS THE CONDITION AND WHAT IT NEEDS. I WILL ASSIST YOU IN PURCHASING THE CAR, INCLUDING TRANSPORT, I HAVE A FRIEND WHO DRIVES A FLATBED TOW TRUCK, AND WILL DELIVER IT TO YOUR DOOR. IF YOU LOOK AT THE BOOK VALUE OF THE CAR IN GOOD CONDITION ON VARIOUS SITES, YOU'LL SEE THAT THE AVERAGE VALUE IS AROUND $6000. IF YOU'RE MECHANICALLY INCLINED, YOU CAN FIX THE VEHICLE YOURSELF INEXPENSIVELY.
1. THE VEHICLE DOES RUN AND DRIVE, THE RADIATOR IS DAMAGED FROM THE HIT, THE FAN WAS PUSHED IN, AS WELL AS THE CONDENSOR. I WOULDN'T CHANCE AND 80 MILE DRIVE. AS I MENTIONED, I CAN SUPPLY TRANSPORT FOR YOU, INCLUDED IN THE PURCHASE PRICE.
2. THE A/C LINES LOOK SLIGHTLY BENT OR TWISTED, NOT SPLIT. THE FENDERS ARE STRAIGHT AND I HAVE A HOOD TO GO WITH THE CAR. NO GLASS, FRAME, OR CHASSIS DAMAGE.
3. THE RADIATOR SUPPORT LOOKS LIKE IT IS BOLTED IN. IT IS BENT, NOT AS BAD AS IT LOOKS. IT MAY EVEN BE STRAIGHTENED FOR THE TIME BEING, JUST SO IT WILL BE AWAY FROM THE FAN AND MOTOR.
4. THE REAR OF THE CAR, QUARTERS, BUMPER, ETC. ARE VERY CLEAN, NO DAMAGE, IT IS PROBABLY SNOW AND DIRT IS WHAT YOU SEE.
5.THE CD CHANGER APPEARS TO BE A STOCK UNIT, PIONEER IF IM CORRECT.

I HOPE THAT YOU'RE SATISFIED WITH THE ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS. IF YOU'D LIKE, YOU'RE MORE THAN WELCOME TO COME SEE THE CAR, BRING THE CASH, AND PURCHASE IT ON THE SPOT IF YOU'RE SATISFIED. I CAN ARRANGE TRANSPORT THE SAME DAY, NO PROBLEM. ALL THAT ACCOMPANIES THE VEHICLE IS READY TO GO, CLEAN TITLE, BILL OF SALE, AND CARFAX REPORT. PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP, I HAVE MANY INQUIRIES NOW THAT PICS. ARE UP, AND GETTING MUCH RESPONSE. I PLAN TO SELL THE CAR THIS WEEKEND. HAVE A GOOD ONE, TAKE CARE, BYE

What do you guys think? I'm thinking about just E-mailing him to tell him that I'll consider it and take a look at the car this weekend if he'll budge SIGNIFICANTLY on the price, as I've seen '92 SC400's with about the same mileage, in excellent condition, sell for $4500 to $5000. This car, with all the parts and paint, would have to total to much less than that for it to be worth my hassle. Like I mentioned earlier, there would be no point of me building this car for a total cost to me of around $4,500 and end up with a car with a lower resale value and a busted engine bay, when I know that for $500 more I could just buy one in good condition and drive it home tomorrow without having to spend a few weekends doing tedious body work.
Old 03-02-05, 10:14 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

I would pass on the deal unless he can give you a significant drop on the price. The headache just isn't worth it when as you said, one can be picked up for a little extra.

I'd hold tight unless u can get it for $2500.

Jonny
Old 03-02-05, 10:25 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

rad support is welded on at the fender area
Old 03-02-05, 11:04 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The most I would pay for that is $2,500. Anything more than that is not worth it
Old 03-02-05, 11:52 AM
SCryder
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 92 that WAS mint until i slid it into a parked car, the car at best was worth $6-6500 before the accident and 3k at best after and all my damage is cosmetic and in the rear of the car (no engine damage) im spending about 3500 to bring it back to life ONLY cause im emotionaly attached
TO MAKE THE STORY SHORT- i would not get this car for 3500 or even 2500 since it was hit in the front it can lead to all kinds of problems in the future. Your best bet is to find 93-95 for about 5k in good shape and just do the 97 upgrade

Quick Reply: Worth repairing, or just look for a mint SC? Pics...