SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

19x9.5 in the front of a 97 sc300 5sp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 09:20 PM
GoCarSc300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 19x9.5 in the front of a 97 sc300 5sp?

I was looking into getting the axis milano which I'm sure some of you are familiar with, and I was wondering if instead of going with the standard 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 staggered set up if it is possible to get the 19x9.5's all the way around. I know that it seems kinda crazy, but I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure wheether it was possible or not. If you do know let me know. Thanks.
Old 02-02-05, 09:23 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not ideal but it can be done..It will help to find out the offset of the wheels..
Old 02-02-05, 09:28 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoCarSc300
I was looking into getting the axis milano which I'm sure some of you are familiar with, and I was wondering if instead of going with the standard 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 staggered set up if it is possible to get the 19x9.5's all the way around. I know that it seems kinda crazy, but I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure wheether it was possible or not. If you do know let me know. Thanks.
To fit that size wheel up front you WILL have to roll your fenders and run some neg. camber. However, it will only fit well if the offset is correct. What offset are these?
Old 02-02-05, 09:46 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Do not alter your camber, it will screw your tyres and handling.

here is a Soarer wearing 9.5" Supra rims all round without any rolling of the front arches, be careful if you have or intend to lower you car or you will start fouling. BTW these rims do have the "correct" 50mm offset.

Last edited by VSsc400; 02-03-05 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-02-05, 10:01 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by London Bill

My Troll is incorrect, here is a Soarer wearing 9.5" Supra rims all round without any rolling of the front arches, be careful if you have or intend to lower you car or you will start fouling. BTW these rims do have the "correct" 50mm offset.

Bill- you need to ease up on JZZ30TT a bit- he is on the vipstylecars.com forums and definitly has a clue with wheels, offsets, fitting wheels, etc. I have read his post along with some others on that forum that are very concise and accurate when it comes to wheels. He is not alone thinking that you were being silly- talking about extreme offsets and wide wheels drasticaly effecting the steering of a car and what not. I have personally drove cars with extreme offsets and can say with out a doubt that they still steered and tracked like normal.

Last edited by VSsc400; 02-03-05 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-02-05, 10:42 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

SC400TEX;

You sound like a reasonable man, answer me this question, Have you ever driven an SC with 30mm (or less) wheel offset ?

I have and so have others who bought wheels with shallow offsets from a dealer who said they would "fit", yes they do fit, great.

Many Soarer drivers then wondered why their car did not drive like a Lexus should, the steering pulled, tramlined and bucked on rough road surfaces. After some investigation on the wheel offsets, the worst effected cars had 35mm or less offset. To test out this theory we fitted std 50mm offset rims to these cars and the steering issues went away, now this is not a theory any longer but practice.

A 17" or 18" rim with 30mm offset fitted to the front of a Soarer/SC makes the steering so bad it is hard to keep it in a straight line unless you are driving on a pure flat surface, this is a fact and makes it a dangerous car to drive as the steering will suddenly deviate which is a bad thing when we often drive around/above the 100mph region.

Lexus/Toyota choose 50mm offset as a design parameter for the steering geometry and it works very well, if you want to fill the wheel arch with rubber, get wider wheels (9.5") and the correct offset.
Old 02-02-05, 11:41 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Guessing this thread will be moved to the tire forums shortly....

Re: 9.5" front .... Will work with high offset and w/out lowering... My buddy through on the 9.5 supra with 50mm offset and 255 up fronts and it fit fine but steered funny... I didn't like the look as well... but it fits...

Re: tramlining > with low offsets.... IMO this is dead right...I had 4 sets of rims and the set with the lowest 20/25mm offset tramlined like a son of a bi___h!!
Sc400texas ... it may be the roads in the Northeast are more sloped than downsouth but I drive from Sprinfield Mass to NYC on the regular and what London Bill stated above was exactly what me and my fellaz up here realized... (btw..never read the other thread and not trying to put anbody down)

I presently am running Supra TT with 8" fronts (50mm) and 9.5" rears (50mm) and the tramlining although present on severely sloped roads is much less severe and especially on the highway... the lower offsets seemed to make highway driving a "touchy" subject..lol
I don't know or care if its scientifically proven or not but after playing this game I strongly agree that offsets above 35mm work better on the SC's with wider tires.. I will always recommend higher offsets whenever possible from this point on... I was hard headed initally and learned by "feel"....btw...the least amount of tramlining was on my narrow 15" stockers.. steer and ride great but look like crap being so small...

note: i have noticed that alot of the lower end wheels and ebay specials will offer rims that will "fit" the Sc but seem to always be lower offsets..30-35... Not sure why that is..
Old 02-02-05, 11:43 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

here is a Soarer wearing 9.5" Supra rims all round without any rolling of the front arches, be careful if you have or intend to lower you car or you will start fouling. BTW these rims do have the "correct" 50mm offset.
Yes, but what you fail to understand is that he is asking about 19" wheels, which WILL require rolling the fenders (especially in a realitivly low offset).

Last edited by VSsc400; 02-03-05 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-02-05, 11:49 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Many Soarer drivers then wondered why their car did not drive like a Lexus should, the steering pulled, tramlined and bucked on rough road surfaces.
The reason is becuase you are MODIFYING the cars suspension/wheels/tires. It's obviously not going to feel like a stock lexus. For example if you use adjustable coilovers with an aggressive spring rate your car will ride extremely harsh does it feel factory? NO Is it dangerous? NO

I think you are confusing "comfort driving" with "performance driving" I happen to do a lot more of the latter, and modify my car to suit that. You may do diffrently which is fine, but don't go around telling people that low offsets are dangerous because it's just not true. They may not ride the same as stock offsets, but then again they arn't stock wheels.

EDIT: Yes, negative camber will wear your tires unevenly, however, a bit of negative camber up front actually improves handling.

Last edited by JZZ30TT; 02-02-05 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-02-05, 11:57 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

JZZ30tt - You are probably correct with regards the 19" x 9.5 up front... He would have to run such a stretched tire that it may not be worth it... At least with the Supra 9.5" up front ur only talking a 17" tire .... What the original poster was asking may not be "practical"
Old 02-02-05, 11:59 PM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

Actualy you can get away with a 235 that wouldn't be horribly stretched on a 9.5J wheel. But, he WILL have to roll fenders with that tire (how much will depend on the offset). I would say run a 225 but some people arn't comfortable running that much of a stretch.

EDIT: BTW: rolling fenders is not a hard thing to do. I have an eastwood fender roller that should be arriving this week, so if anyone would like to use it let me know.
Old 02-03-05, 06:07 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

how does fender roller work? i have 19x9 and 20x10 on the way with 50mm offsets but i plan to slam so i am pretty sure i will need to roll slightly.
Old 02-03-05, 07:48 AM
JZZ30TT
Lead Lap

You can check it out at www.eastwood.com but, basically it bolts to the hub of the car and an arm (thats adjustable) rolls aganist the fender. You keep pushing the roller further out utill you get the desired roll/pull.
Old 02-03-05, 08:26 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JZZ30TT
You can check it out at www.eastwood.com but, basically it bolts to the hub of the car and an arm (thats adjustable) rolls aganist the fender. You keep pushing the roller further out utill you get the desired roll/pull.
Make sure you don't do that on a cold day or your paint will suffer.

Jonny
Old 02-03-05, 09:37 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Au Contraire JZZ30TT;

9.5" front rims, in 17" or 19" will fit the SC/Soarer if the "correct" offset is used (50mm) as long as the same rolling radius is retained, subsequent lowering will present rubbing issues, you might get an inch up front before hitting anything on full lock.

silversprucesc3; Your pal with 9.5" Supra fronts probably has worn steering rack bushes (possibly a worn rack), these wheels are PERFECT but the wider tyre will exaggerate any shortcomings in the steering system (including slop in the lower/upper control arm bushes).

I hardly think people should be taking recommendations from anyone who would suggest they cut their springs in half or stretch a 225 tyre on a 9.5" rim just to be "Bling" because this is DANGEROUS (as is the practice of heating coils till the drop down in height).

I drove this a few weeks back (4.0Ltr supercharged, Celsior from Japan) , this is the fastest peice of cr4p I have ever driven, it has zero suspension (cut springs) and steers like ****, the price of Bling.

Last edited by London Bill; 02-03-05 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: 19x9.5 in the front of a 97 sc300 5sp?