SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

will most likely be getting a 92 sc300

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-05, 03:22 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will most likely be getting a 92 sc300

im selling my v6 camry now cause it isnt a great autocross/project car and requires too much money to get it where i want it to be, plus it will forever be limited by fwd. im looking at a 92 sc300 with 112k miles on it, with a 5 speed and the price will be about 5900. when i go to check this car out, is there anything i should look for, any problems that often plague these cars?
Old 01-30-05, 03:31 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus!

Try reading these first (and also use the search feature of our forum)

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#03
Old 01-30-05, 04:12 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

i read those last night

however there wasnt anything pertaining to the engine or tranny and stuff like that. im just curious cause my camry was a victim of the 1mz-fe sludge problem from the valve covers. anything like that with the 2jz-ge's?
Old 01-30-05, 04:41 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No engine sludging issues or really any other issue that seems to cause problems across the board, these engines really are rock solid. Mine is a 92 5spd with 145k and I still have 190-200 psi compression all around. I got mine for $2500 but with some small problems. I bet you could get yours down to $4500 or so if you tried. $5900 seems a bit high.
Old 01-30-05, 05:06 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

this is going to be the first used car ill ever buy,. i am very familiar with cars in general so i know what to look for in getting a new car, but how exactly do i go about talking the price down? this is from a used car dealership too, so is negotiation even possible?

this is the site: http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/vi...r_id=174258402

i found the car using autotrader.com

by teh way anyone in massachusetts or new england area with an sc300 want to meet up so i can have some kind of comparison for when i go to check out this car

thanks for your help guys

im on toyotanation as Xevuhtess77 if any of you are on that forum as well
Old 01-30-05, 07:47 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Negotiation is ALWAYS possible. Just use the same tactics you would as a new car say how much you want to spend and tell them how much you think its worth. Point out any small thing that may be wrong and take away value and don't really mention the "rarity" and how this is "hard to find" becuase if they know you wnat this car, and its rare they will be less likely to lower it. And if you don't get the price the first day just leave and come back the next. Shows them you're willing to walk away if they can't accomidate you.

BTW in that pic, there's a front lip on the car, now either its an SC 400 or somebody took the lip off of a 400 and put it on a 300. Have you seen the car itself yet?
Old 01-30-05, 07:51 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude,

$5900 is too much for that car. Tell him you are interested in the car but they will have to move a lot on the price if they want to sell it. if they tell you waht it books for - tell them you are debating the value of the car, you are telling him what people are willing to pay for the car - 2 very different things my friend.

$4500 max.

Jonny
Old 01-30-05, 08:00 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

what would i say if/when i come back the next day? that i reconsider not buying the car or sumtin?

ok i thought that lip spoiler looked not-stock, but i wasnt sure since im new to the sc's.... this is interesting, i will need to find out whats the story with this.
Old 01-30-05, 08:09 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

When your negotiating if they can't get it down to $4500 just say "Well this is what its worth, if we can't get it to this then I'll come back later". I mean if the car dealer knows they have you interested in the car sometimes they'll even call you back to get you in there. I mean just walk out of there and say this isn't working and then come back and say I hope we can work something out this time. They know tha tyou want the car but they also know you're not afraid to walk away from it if they can't reach a deal with you.
Old 01-30-05, 08:17 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

ooh ok i understand now. i think i'd be able to use the sc400 lip as a good bargaining point then.

i dont think it helps that im a 17 year old though......

at least im really tall hehehe
Old 01-30-05, 08:24 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Honestly, the front lip woulnd't be a bargaining point. Bargaining points are like tire tread left, brake life, leather condition, carpet condition, miles, dings/dents, paint fading, anything like that. Since your 17, you can't buy the car yourself anyways so wounld't somebodye lse need ot buy it/negotiate for you?
Old 01-30-05, 08:26 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

ummm i dont know if someone has to do it for me... ugh my dad would be the worst negotiator in the world. i noticed in the pic that the car, not only has the lip spoiler but it also has hid's.... i think only sc400's have hid stock am i correct?
Old 01-30-05, 08:39 PM
dchesanek
Rookie

Without a pre purchase inspection who know's what the car is worth. Spend the $50-$75 and find out what the car needs through the inspection. This gives you the information you need to negotiate a fair price after you check out Kelly, NADA and Edmunds True Market Value. I'm not sure about other parts of the country but in the Northeast any 5 speed is difficult to find.
Old 01-31-05, 05:33 AM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xevuhtess7
ummm i dont know if someone has to do it for me... ugh my dad would be the worst negotiator in the world. i noticed in the pic that the car, not only has the lip spoiler but it also has hid's.... i think only sc400's have hid stock am i correct?
None of the SC's from 92-00 have H.I.D.s. It's definitely aftermarket.
Old 01-31-05, 06:13 AM
Kylestt
Driver

if you are sure you are likely to get the car, take $4500 in cash bills and after you show him all the downfalls of the car, say "this is all i got, take it or leave it." Cash talks alot!!!

I gave $2600 for my black 92 sc300.

Quick Reply: will most likely be getting a 92 sc300