SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I'm an amazing idiot, TRAC donuts

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-05, 06:27 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Hahahahaha

Thank the Toyota Gods for the Soarer 2.5GT!!! lol... no traction control (only optional... and mine doesn't have it lol)... no worries losing it in the wet Can get the rubber smoking though
Old 01-18-05, 06:28 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by DlaxMan3
correct me if im wrong but i don't believe you can do a break stand in the SC cuze it has 4 wheel breaks ,a break stand i when you apply the breaks if you have 2 in the front or the back and you hit the gas and the wheels without breaks spin while you stay in place.
works on my SC, i avoid doing it because not only does it sound awful for all kinds of parts, it is awful. I can get the rear wheels spinning (together most of the time, on one occasion i only got the rear left to spin while the rear right did nothing ) without moving anywhere until i hop off the brake.

Last edited by np20412; 01-18-05 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-18-05, 07:03 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought a brakestand was powerbraking, hitting the brake and revving up the engine to power launch.

What you described Dlaxman3 is a burnout, and most of the time it is 4 wheel brakes but the engine has so much freakin torque it just overpowers the rear brakes and the fronts hold the car in place or you inch up a little bit.
Old 01-18-05, 07:18 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by LexSC888
works on my SC, i avoid doing it because not only does it sound awful for all kinds of parts, it is awful. I can get the rear wheels spinning (together most of the time, on one occasion i only got the rear left to spin while the rear right did nothing ) without moving anywhere until i hop off the brake.
That's our open-diff... i need an LSD!
Old 01-19-05, 10:40 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

correct me if im wrong but i don't believe you can do a break stand in the SC cuze it has 4 wheel breaks ,a break stand i when you apply the breaks if you have 2 in the front or the back and you hit the gas and the wheels without breaks spin while you stay in place.

correct me if im wrong

Ummmm....I hope you mean 4 wheel disc B-R-A-K-E-S. When you say two in the front or back, you do realize that there would still be B-R-A-K-E-S on the other wheels also, only they would be drum B-R-A-K-E-S. Regardless, doing a "brake stand" or "powerbraking" will always work if the car's engine creates enough torque to overpower the B-R-A-K-E-S. I believe all SC's have 4 wheel disc B-R-A-K-E-S but they are capable of still breaking the rear loose with the brakes applied.
Old 01-20-05, 06:49 AM
andy2003si
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nuetrol droping? OMFG DO NOT DO THIS!!!! You are asking for a new transmission its 5x worse then shifting a manual without using a clutch. Think its spinning at 6k RPM and then all of a sudden you JAM it into D and the gears and rearend quickly have to react grinding down teeth and ALOT of stress on the whole drivetrain. My brother did this 3 times and the 4th his tranny went out! If you do it you mys well take the price of a transmission and throw it down the toilet and I gurantee the automatics are NOT cheap especially the new 5 speed automatics . If you want to do a burnout (still not recommended but DEF. not even close to as hard as a N drop) put your foot on the brake the whole way and give it some gas to get it spinning but don't take it over 5 (I know its not that high) but when you rev the car freely / spin freely without a load it's very hard on the engine!
Old 01-20-05, 07:01 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by andy2003si
Nuetrol droping? OMFG DO NOT DO THIS!!!! You are asking for a new transmission its 5x worse then shifting a manual without using a clutch. Think its spinning at 6k RPM and then all of a sudden you JAM it into D and the gears and rearend quickly have to react grinding down teeth and ALOT of stress on the whole drivetrain. My brother did this 3 times and the 4th his tranny went out! If you do it you mys well take the price of a transmission and throw it down the toilet and I gurantee the automatics are NOT cheap especially the new 5 speed automatics . If you want to do a burnout (still not recommended but DEF. not even close to as hard as a N drop) put your foot on the brake the whole way and give it some gas to get it spinning but don't take it over 5 (I know its not that high) but when you rev the car freely / spin freely without a load it's very hard on the engine!
Yea that's a big no,no. At one point I was gonna scrap my tranny on my 92 Celica because I was going to get a manual swap. So I decided I would try to burn the tranny. Neutral bombs, throwing it into reverse and than drive really fast. Nothing would kill this tranny.
Edit: Toyota trannies are pretty strong but I still wouldn't recommend doing N-Bombs. If you want to burnout, get an LSD and torque converter upgrade.
Old 01-20-05, 08:12 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2003si

EXACTLY!!!!!! The only thing worse than a neutral drop for your tranny would be to use sand as tranny fluid!!!
Old 01-20-05, 08:21 AM
andy2003si
Rookie

Originally Posted by DarchMage
Yea that's a big no,no. At one point I was gonna scrap my tranny on my 92 Celica because I was going to get a manual swap. So I decided I would try to burn the tranny. Neutral bombs, throwing it into reverse and than drive really fast. Nothing would kill this tranny.
Edit: Toyota trannies are pretty strong but I still wouldn't recommend doing N-Bombs. If you want to burnout, get an LSD and torque converter upgrade.
I'm not saying they arn't strong, but every transmission is different. For example: my moms friend had a 96 cavalier automatic their tranny went out with 30k miles driving it normal. My brothers gfs 96 cavalier auto which he beat the **** out of daily has 130k and the tranny hasn't even slipped yet. (Yes I know their POS, but just saying their not all the same even if it is the same transmission or any part for that matter [that dosen't sound like it makes any sense but you know what i mean!] ) And even if it dosen't die you're putting ALOTTTT of unneeded stress and wear for something so stupid (Don't get me wrong I love burnouts but nuetral dropping it for a burnout is totally NOT worth it!!) If you really wanna do better burnouts that bad and want a little more "launch" get a higher torque converter for heavens sake!
Old 01-27-05, 12:18 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Personally I have never wanted to abuse my car by doing a brakestand, donuts, or any other trick that involves burning up my $100 tires or causing my transmission to leave gear teeth all over the road.

My 1992 SC3 doesn't have traction control -- I don't believe it was available back then. It makes the rear end squirrely unless you have good tires and you're accustomed to a RWD car.
Old 01-29-05, 02:22 PM
MRAD
Driver School Candidate

I have an SC400 so I cant be to sure about the 300, but they did have T/C as an option at that point (SC400). As a matter of fact my SC came fully and I mean fully loaded; the car has moon roof, optional rims, Nakamichi soundsystem, T/C heated seats as well as the optional up holder, thats right, I got the cup holder, lmao (never installed it). If you N-drop you will regret it, my friend now has to repair the transmission in his nex Mazda 6, lol, was wondering how he got the thing to rev while standing at the light in his auto (still gave it to that piece of wood).
Old 01-29-05, 02:47 PM
joegolf68
Rookie

Exclamation Old fart advice

Originally Posted by Dx3
HAHA - that's funny, the last thing I read about was you saying the car is your dad's, then I read you are doing burnouts and 360's!!! Hope your dad doesn't read CL!!!

Yeah, no trac makes for fun times. Put the car in N, rev it and drop it into D and you can do a hell of a burn out!! I used to do it in my Infiniti all the time. Try not to do it in the Lex!!

Peace,
Jonny
In my youth (I'm 50ish now) I lived in Germany. I bought an old Mercedes. Use to rev it up in neutral and throw it into gear to get some "scratch." About the tenth time I did this, I tore out the rear end. In today's dollars, it would be about $2000 in dmange. Stupid mistake cost me almost as much as the car. Just some advice from sonmeone who has been there, done that!
Old 02-04-05, 12:28 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ive seen a neutral drop over 6k leave gears on the pavement.