SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Fabricating exhaust for SC300

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-01, 05:55 PM
FastSC300

Hey all,
Well I started to do some exhaust fabrication on my SC300 this week, so far it WILL look and sound MUCH better. I started for practice mainly with my welder on the real section of the exhaust. I cut the rear muffler out and replaced it with some 2" Pipe(stock diameter) and mandrel bends, and added to 2 chrome 4.5" tips(hard to describe) that look real classy but mean. I will attack the two pre mufflers this weekend also and remove them as well. I am ordering some 3" mandrel tubing from Summit Racing and I will take a look at making custom mandrel bent downpipe to remove all restrictions from the exhaust. I will post some pics as soon as I can of my work.

Scot Hail
more mods coming
Old 04-27-01, 06:13 PM
abdul10000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

What kind of welder are you using ?? Mig welder ??
Old 04-27-01, 06:28 PM
FastSC300

Lincoln AC225
it's a ARC/stick welder
I went this route for the power it had. And it lays down nice beads, depeding on the electrode.

Eventually I will get a good TIG welder.

Scot Hial
Old 04-27-01, 06:35 PM
abdul10000
Driver

Hi,

Did you ever try using a mig welder with a gas cylinder?? How do you compare it to your welder ??
Old 04-27-01, 06:56 PM
FastSC300

I bought one and tried it, but not with the shielding gas though, I should have tried it with the shielding gas, they should be good for pipe welding. I have heard good results with a MIG welder. I just did not want to go through the pain of buying gas every week. Mig welders are fairly easy to weld with too. The stick takes a little more patience.
Scot
Old 04-28-01, 05:31 AM
abdul10000
Driver

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. A Mig welder is very easy to use, but without the use of gas it is a weak welder. Never the less, I replaced a hole front core support with my welder with out using gas. Its very easy to use and small in size, but heavy. Thanks

Abdulrahman

PS. Would you be kind enough to take pictures while you are working on your projects, as you do allot of theme.
Old 04-28-01, 07:46 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you weld two pieces of pipe together---say for a straight to curved section, is there a weld bead on the inside of the pipe, does this interfere with flow? Do you butt the two pieces of pipe together, or do they overlap? I'm interested in doing the same, but would like to know more technique type things that make the system flow better. I'm sure any monkey at a garage can put a couple of pieces of pipe together, but there's gotta be more to it than that, right? Are you replacing the mid pipe where the cat sits? This is the part I'm planning on working on first. Probably a 3" pipe. Also, would you go 3" main to the "y" and then 2" on the two branches after the split?

TIA
Old 04-28-01, 08:57 AM
FastSC300

Well basically I just butt welded the pipes together for the rear exhaust, I use a vice and make sure they are positioned correctly and do a tack weld for starters. The metel joins the metal on the outside of the pipe, meaning the main bead is on the outside of the pipe and not the inside, so it will not restrict any flow at all. I actually looked at this when I was finished with the first side and saw no obstructions inside the pipe at all, but did notice I got full penetration of the metals(which is good).

As for the main pipe where the two cats sit, I have some ideas there. It would seem fairly easy but the only obstacle is the Y-pipe that bridges the header to the down pipe. I could use the flanges of the stock Y-pipe and just weld in an aftermarket Y-pipe that that has an outlet of 3" and then go from there to the catback with the 3" pipe, this route would probably be the easiest and best flowing, just will take some elbow grease and time for cutting and fitting. You can get a Y-pipe from Headman or Hooker I believe. 2" for the legs of the Y-pipe sounds good and then into 3" would work great.
Good luck man and post any pics or ideas about your project as you go or email me privately.

"I'm sure any monkey at a garage can put a couple of pieces of pipe together"

LOL.....it's just that simple

Scot Hail