SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Center Vent trim

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-01, 11:57 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a post previously about how common it is for SC300s (not sure about 400s) to have a crack on that plastic trim arount the center vents. Well, I just got my '92 a few weeks ago, and have not really driven it much (giving it some TLC to get it where I want it). I finally checked and what'dya know, there are two cracks on that trim on mine. Is it a possibility that this is a high stress point for the chassis? Or how about the fact that there is wood that surrounds the trim and due to the expansion and contraction of the wood under different temps it just tends to crack the trim.
I'm thinking about replacing it, but if it is bound to recurr, I'd like to know what's causing it. Also, anybody know how to take that trim off? I've ordered my factory service manual ($150, 2 volumes), but have quite a wait for it.
Old 04-26-01, 12:15 PM
SC400james
Rookie

Default Me too...

Mine is cracked too. Didn't know it was common, actually was wondering how it got cracked. So I guess it isn't just the 300's.

Later
James
Old 04-26-01, 12:29 PM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default cracking trim...

Yup... I got it as well... It's a curse dammnit... It's caused by the plastic expanding and contracting in the woodtrim slot. like when you leave your car in the sun and if you have a dark color like mine (It cooks!!!), then when you go in and switch air con on... bang... crack!! Some people I've spoken to have taken that unit out and reinforced it with carbon fibre or really tough tape (the tape that is made of material as well). After that, just fill in the gaps that you cant hide, then spray it black... good as new... or if you can afford a new one, reinforce it before you put it in.

Cheers,

Toan.

Old 04-26-01, 12:49 PM
lexlyf3
Rookie

The big question is.....

How the hell do you remove that wood trim piece that runs across the center vents & towards the passenger vent.???? :eek:

I've seen a small screw underneath the passenger air vent, but don't see anything else for the rest of vents.

Someone bless me with some knowledge.
Old 04-26-01, 01:09 PM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

yeah, I've got the same questions.
Hopefully I'll get my factory service manual soon. I'll look it up then and report back. Until then, can anyone shed some light to this?
Old 04-26-01, 04:26 PM
reLEXin247
Rookie

I've taken mine out and fixed the factory air vent plastic. It wasn't fun at all.. first you have to take out the factory glove box. then you have three or four wing nuts on the backside of the wood panel to take off.. after that you have to undo the lock mech. for the glove box. That's three bolts as well.. if i remember correctly they're 10mm. then very carefully pull the wood panel off with the air vent still attached, it's screwed on from the backside. there is a clip above the center console near the instrument cluster, you won't be able to see it, it's on the back of the wood panel. Just be very carefull when you pull on the wood. it actually has 2 layers of very thin metal sandwiched inside. Anyways, I used a small 45 deg. angled pick to help pull the cliped side out. After I had it out and all apart, I was able to actually superglue the pieces back together and you cannot tell where the cracks were. Well guys good luck, you're gonna need it.
Old 04-26-01, 04:56 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

I superglued mine too...

Mind