SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need Advice, buying an SC MERGED

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-04, 08:08 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Advice

Hello Guys. This is my first post here and needed some help if possible. I have a 2 hour commute daily and am tired of the Civic being my daily driver. I have decided to go with either an SC300/400. My question.....I will probably get a 92-96 model for economic reasons so is there anything in particular I should look for? Any certain problems with specific years or models? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 10-15-04, 08:33 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.intellexual.net/

http://www.planetsoarer.com

the first link is a great reference page for model year changes, specifications, FAQ's, photo galleries, and general info about the sc. the second link is australian, i believe, and deals more with performance parts and some research (which intakes and filters work best and why, etc). also, the search function is your friend. welcome
Old 10-15-04, 10:29 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Judging from your sig, you're gonna want to mod it... so go with a sc300.
Old 10-15-04, 10:48 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: Need Advice

Originally posted by Quick VR-4
I have a 2 hour commute daily and am tired of the Civic being my daily driver. I have decided to go with either an SC300/400.

Thanks,
Honestly, judging from what you need, dont get either Sc300 or 400, the gas mileage will kill you, if you dont like to pay so much for gas. Go for a nice 4 cylinder, maybe subaru legacy? But if you have to choose one of them, for some reason the Sc400's get better gas mileage, so get an Sc400. good lucky man.
Old 10-15-04, 11:51 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

The sc300 and sc400 gas milage are similar. I prefer the sc400 because it has more power and torque.
Old 10-15-04, 11:53 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah, welcome to CL!!! Nice 3000gt by the way!!

A friend of mine has a 94' black on black vr-4. It's FAST!!! But since he's cheap, don't keep up with maintinance, and put 87 OCTANE in his car sometimes, his car sounds like s*** now!!!
Old 10-16-04, 08:17 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the help guys. I know some of you are confused why I would be going from a 4 cylinder to a 6/8 depending on the model I get. I chose the Civic for just that reason and after 6 months, cannot take it anymore. I am a car guy and the civic gives a true car guy nothing except gas mileage. I am willing to sacrafice a little gas mileage for a beautifully styled and reliable car so that is the reason I chose the SC. I am not sure the level of performance I will try to achieve since my money pit.....I mean my VR-4 will be the car receiving most of the mods. Of course, I have had it for four years and starting to get the itch for another project car to start. Maybe add another Twin Turbo to the garage that would match the brand name of the Lexus a little better

A friend of mine has a 94' black on black vr-4. It's FAST!!! But since he's cheap, don't keep up with maintinance, and put 87 OCTANE in his car sometimes, his car sounds like s*** now!!!
I cannot belive someone would use such a low octane in any car with forced induction. Probably had a nice destructive case of detonation. May want him to check compression in each cylinder because it probably won't be good

Last edited by Quick VR-4; 10-16-04 at 08:19 AM.
Old 10-16-04, 08:52 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL buddy Nice GTO you got dude Seen a couple my side of the world and I love them Down the line, would you be looking at modding up the SC? I'd seriously go with the SC400 for a daily driver... unless you're looking at adding some FI to the motor then I'd go the SC300.

How someone can put in crappy fuel into a turbo car is beyond me... I've had to limp into a petrol station with barely anything in the tank (I know bad) but there weren't any other petrol stations that sold 98RON fuel except for the one I limped into.

Dedication lol
Old 01-15-05, 02:48 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Question SC400 Owners....Need Help

After looking for a few months, I have finally found a Lexus SC400 to take over daily driving duties from my Honda Civic. It is a 1994 model with a 103,000 miles. I have the cashiers check and will be picking it up on Monday. My question is what I need to be looking for? What are some of the key areas of concern for this model year with 100k on the odometer? Any help would greatly be appreciated and hope I have a 400 in the driveway soon
Old 01-15-05, 03:09 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...57#post1065857

did you forget?

Merged.

What are some of the key areas of concern for this model year with 100k on the odometer?
Originally Posted by kylesc400
http://www.intellexual.net/

http://www.planetsoarer.com

the first link is a great reference page for model year changes, specifications, FAQ's, photo galleries, and general info about the sc. the second link is australian, i believe, and deals more with performance parts and some research (which intakes and filters work best and why, etc). also, the search function is your friend. welcome
Old 01-15-05, 04:46 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just some advice... before you buy, make sure you get what you want. you should check out ebay and auto trader. im on my second sc and both were 5-speeds. there are about 15 of them on auto trader now. you may have to travel a bit for one that you want, but its work it. my fist sc was about a 2 hour drive to get, and the second took a flight out and drove 9 hours back. its worth it to look for a good deal. good luck with whatever you decide to do, and glad your here in the lexus community. nice 3000gt too.
Old 01-15-05, 06:19 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Too be honest, I did forget about that post

Thanks for the compliment Soarer. I actually did find this one on Autotrader and it is going to be a 4 hour drive for me. I know all the signs on a 3000 such as oil in y-pipe, synchros, etc. Still open to specifics from owners and thanks for all your guys help.
Old 01-15-05, 06:28 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry im not much help... as i own a 300 not a 400. good luck and be sure to post pics. just make sure you check for leaks and noises when off, idling, and driving. its like any other car... just look around. i think i spent about 45 min just looking at my current SC when i bought it. i didnt want to just get in it and leave like i did with the first one. have fun with that drive too.
Old 01-15-05, 07:02 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Quick VR-4
After looking for a few months, I have finally found a Lexus SC400 to take over daily driving duties from my Honda Civic. It is a 1994 model with a 103,000 miles. I have the cashiers check and will be picking it up on Monday. My question is what I need to be looking for? What are some of the key areas of concern for this model year with 100k on the odometer? Any help would greatly be appreciated and hope I have a 400 in the driveway soon
Quick VR, You're gonna love the SC400. Already becoming a classic. I have an SC that I bought new in 1992 and now has 336,500 mi. with no major mechanical problems. The drive train on the car is almost bullet proof. So, very little risk of problems there as long as it has not been abused. At around 100,000 miles you would want to check the following:
1. Control arm bushings, esp lower control arms in front (gets the most wear) symptoms: loose or imprecise steering, tramlining, funny clunking sounds while turning going in reverse,
2. engine, and tranny mounts, rubber deteriorates
3. due for major service if not already done change timing belt, drive belt, replace or rebuild water pump.
4. older Lexus V8's were notorius for leaking power steering fluid from ps pump onto alternator directly below, thus causing fatal alternator failure. Solution: replace seals in ps pump or at the very least keep close eye on pump for signs of early leakage.
5. due to heat problems with the needles of the instrument guages, the speedo and tach needles begin to flicker and ultimately go dark. Try to forstall this occurance by turning down the intensity of the illumination thereby decreasing the detrimental heat.
6. If you don't have one, register as the owner with Lexus corporate (www.Lexus.com) so you can ask for an owners manual. They provide it free of charge , not even postage. Will ship it to you in shrink wrap priority mail, you'll have it in 2-3 days.
Enjoy and welcome to the club!
Old 01-15-05, 10:04 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I knew you forgot, because you already had your answer .....lol.

Quick Reply: Need Advice, buying an SC MERGED