SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Aftermarket Radio installation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-01, 08:58 AM
CDALTON
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I ordered a new Nakamichi 45z of off the internet. I have looked on the internet for installation kits and have found a couple. I talk with a couple custom shops and they tell me There is not a installation kit for the the 400. You have to buy a piece of abs plastic and make your own. Im sure alot of you guys out there are not using stock system's. Can some one lead me in the direction I need to take. Do I take my chances and order a kit over the internet, which I have not seen, or make my own? Any help would be great!!
Old 04-10-01, 10:10 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Angry Be careful................

I've seen some guys with custom install units... The verdict is 75% look like $#it, 15% look just ok(Chrysler neon, Chevy cavalier, good) and 10% look nice in comparison to the stock unit's fluid install. Don't just rely on the pictures that all shops have of their "good" installs... Ask them to call the customer so that you can arrange to see the install. You will be able to see the fit and finish of the product, whether it is sturdy and rattle free, does the color match and does it appear inconspicuous. A picture may be worth a 1000 words; however, seeing it live an in the flesh turns me own 1,000,000 times more...

Remember this is a Lexus SC... This is a car being sold in the $60,000 range, with one of the most gorgeous interiors around(the SC has been around since '91 and it's still a work of art inside and out). Would you butcher up one of Picasso's painting? Let's not forget that when we are enticed into getting a "custom" kit for any radio... Because you will get a "one of a kind unit"... $#itty!!! Also post this question where it can be better handled, at the Lexus Electronic forum...

T.Harris

Last edited by The Ikon; 04-10-01 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-11-01, 01:43 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you looking to do this installation yourself to save money?
Old 04-11-01, 07:31 AM
CDALTON
Driver

No Im not looking to save money. Before my cousin bacame a school teacher he did custom installations for about 6 years. So him and I are going to try to tackle it. Like THE IKON said you look at a lot of cars and they look like s#@t. I really dont know of any shops around me that I trust. There's a custom shop that I have taken a couple of my cars too, but never again. Im not going to take my car to a Best Buy, Circuit City to let some kid butcher it. It might take us a little more time but at least it will professional.
Old 04-11-01, 12:28 PM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no hack, jack

I agree, there was a time when I was interested in a touch screen and better head unit, but no longer. Unless I can get a very fluid install, the stock unit remains. Having determined the wiring for the factory amps, I am now in the process of bypassing them with a better amp and speakers. I will hack the cd unit soon after to provide a direct input for an MP3 unit.
Old 04-11-01, 02:00 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if you did pay, about how much were you looking to spend for a nice head unit mounting job?
Old 04-12-01, 11:59 AM
CDALTON
Driver

I found the Nakamichi 45z for $339. It lists for around $450, It has the 20-bit D/A converter with 8-times over sampling digital filter. There is a pre-output jack for a sub system. This ouput bypasses the units f/r fader circuit so that the subwoofer output level remains unaffected when the fader is adjusted. I am going to run the doors, tweeters and rears with the head unit and amp the sub. Im also bypassng the factory amps.
Nothing crazy, but it will do. I would be expecting to pay around $150 if I had a shop do the install. Thats me suppling hardware and wires. Can anyone recommend a 8 inch sub to fit in the factory spot? I dont know what the caviaty size is, which will make a differance on what kind of sub to purchase. Thanks