SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wald kit and requirements

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-04, 09:26 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wald kit and requirements

Hey guys, Need help here. i couldnt get a straight answer from wald USA.

Do you guys know if the 1997 SC300 wald lip kit requires you to have 1997 SC body style side skirts and rear bumper or can it just use the 1992-1996 sides and rear bumper? Basically, can the wald kit made for the 1997-2000 SC300/400 fit a 1992-1996 on the sides and rear.

sorry for being redundant
Old 07-19-04, 02:16 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

does anyone know anything? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-19-04, 02:52 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my guess is that they list years for a reason.... the 97 wald kit is just an add-on lip while the pre97 wald kit is an entire front bumper (i think)
Old 07-19-04, 03:13 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it looks like it was specifically made for the 97-00... i don't think it would look right on the 96.
Attached Thumbnails Wald kit and requirements-wald4.jpg  
Old 07-19-04, 03:31 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
it looks like it was specifically made for the 97-00... i don't think it would look right on the 96.

thanks! but i was inquiring more on the side skirts and rear bumper add on lip. Because if you look at the pictures of the kit on intellextual.net. The rear bumpers for the 92-96 are exactly the same car as for the 97-00.

this is where i was a bit confused, hoping someone would know.
Old 07-19-04, 06:54 PM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wald kit and requirements

Originally posted by kaotiq
Hey guys, Need help here. i couldnt get a straight answer from wald USA.

Do you guys know if the 1997 SC300 wald lip kit requires you to have 1997 SC body style side skirts and rear bumper or can it just use the 1992-1996 sides and rear bumper? Basically, can the wald kit made for the 1997-2000 SC300/400 fit a 1992-1996 on the sides and rear.

sorry for being redundant

Taken from Intellexual

Some makers have two or more varieties of their aero kit available for the SC. Some of these I have noted as "92-96" or "97-00". These are just remarks as to which style of front facade the kit mimics. You are still able to use a "97-00" body kit on a 92-96 model SC although some additional accessories may be required or optional (foglights, upper grille insert, etc).

Certain body kits are full bumper replacements, and certain other kits are clip on attachments (such as the JIC Magic rear and Aero Palace 92-96 front). As such, the kits that are clip on attachments will only work with specific year model rear bumpers. The JIC Magic, for example, only clips onto pre-'97 rear bumpers due to the lower perch on 97+ factory bumpers. Make sure your factory rear bumper is compatible with the kit you are considering before you buy it. It is also recommended that you buy the 97+ 'rocker body panels', which are sideskirt extensions that improve on the stylistic quality of a body kit. - (info provided by Manaray)
FYI:

On both Wald kits, the rear bumper is a full replacmenet
On the 92-96 - the front bumper is a full replacment
On the 97-00, the front attachment is in the form of a lip only
The side skirts on both kits are add on
Wald only sells complete kits
Old 07-19-04, 06:57 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

you need the 97 front for sure, sides should be fine. rear should be full replacement. get the kit, it looks nice
Old 07-20-04, 06:49 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Post Just installed a Wald Kit

Guys.

I just installed a 97-00 Wald kit on my 92 SC.

Like said before, the only difference in the kit is the front bumper. The sides and rear are the same for all years. 92-96 is full fiberglass front bumper. 97-00 is front lip for factory bumper. Rear bumper is full fiberglass for all years.

I was PMed about this by a member but I'll repost here as it's info that is appropriate.

Regarding Wald Kit fitment:

It doesn't fit too well for the price.

Shocked and disappointed. All the fackin money and time spent to get that kit and it wouldn't even mount up to the car. I was really let down.

The front is a 9/10 in fitment. The rear is a 7.5 and the sides are a 6. I had to hack them up and modify them. It seems they were designed for a car with a door 3/4" longer than mine. Overall length was okay. To fix this I had to cut off the rear corner where the door would meet and move it forward 3/4" of an inch to line up with the vertical door line. The top where they meet the fenders had to be cut as well, it was way off. The angle didn't match the car so I had to hack it off, and refinish my own edge so it would sit properly. I found this surprising for a kit of such "quality" (and freaking price) as this. I was able to make it all fit after some work. It's by no means bolt on, that's for sure. Other usuals were required, like sanding down the seams and prepping which included more sanding than I'll ever want to do again and priming. Then more sanding.

Also, the finished edges that didn't need modding didn't exactly mate up to the car. There are gaps everywhere. For example, the rear lip when bolted to the quarter panel leaves a nice gap from the rear bumper to the wheel arch that you could drop a pencil thru. To fix this I had to fiberglass a bolt at the midway point, and drill a hole into the car. With some washers I bolted the lip up into the car to pull it up and close the gap. It closed it a lot but not all the way and now it's uneven so it looks like crap. So I had to seal it up with back silicone to hide the now uneven gap and give the impression of a uniform gap. Other issues with the rear are rediculous... The tailights are now a mission to install, and you won't beleive this... The exhaust cut out on the left side is HIGHER than the other side. I had to modify my exhaust to raise it to look right in the bumper. It's about 3/4" higher than the other side. WTF MAN.

A $1,500 lip kit should not require this. The front lip fits okay but there are unsightly gaps ALL OVER it.

Small details like this make this job DEFINITELY something for the pro. No way the average person can install this kit by themselves. You need experience to mod it, and the know-how to get it all to fit okay when it doesn't want to work with you. (which it didn't).

Again, the Wald kit comes in two versions, pre 97 and 97+. The pre 97 to me is a waste of time. It looks like the older style bumpers with a lip tacked on (even tho it's a full front). Why? Being a full front, there's a lot more to go wrong and not fit (the area surrounding the high beams is one area that just freaks me out, that's very hard to get right and harder to fix if it's not okay). Plus you spend all this time and money to make the car look it's age. Why?? For the amount of work you are doing, you might as well make the car look as good and as new as possible. Go for the 97+.

The 97+ is a full rear but just a lip up front. Good part here is you get factory finish on the upper part of the bumper. Bad news is that if your car is 96 or older, you need to do the 97+ refresh up front which is pricey.

Expect to pay for parts alone over $2,000 with a 2-month wait. Add the labor to this. Most other full body kits can be had for less.
Old 07-20-04, 07:06 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

thank you very much for this informative info. Wow, out of all the companies, i never expected to see wald to have such problems with fitment. This is actually getting me to think twice about getting the kit.

the only reason i wanted this kit was because it looked simple and clean, not as aggressive as the JIC kit that i bought.

but now you have me thinking about keeping my JIC kit.
Old 07-20-04, 07:17 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Haha trust me the surprise was not pretty. I held this kit in such high regard until it came to installation time.

Wasn't cool at all. It's all sorted now, but it was a rough 4 weeks.
Old 07-20-04, 10:01 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by CleanSC
Haha trust me the surprise was not pretty. I held this kit in such high regard until it came to installation time.

Wasn't cool at all. It's all sorted now, but it was a rough 4 weeks.
so it was not just a simple cut and bondo fit was it.... hmmm..... Is the front lip polyurethane or fiberglass?

you wouldnt happen to have any pictures of the kit on your car would you? sorry for all the questions.
Old 07-20-04, 10:15 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally posted by kaotiq
so it was not just a simple cut and bondo fit was it.... hmmm..... Is the front lip polyurethane or fiberglass?

you wouldnt happen to have any pictures of the kit on your car would you? sorry for all the questions.
Well cut and bondo on top of a few mods to the car and some fiberglass work. Not too pleasant but not impossible.

Everything is fiberglass. I don't have any pics yet but I will when I reveal the car in a post soon to come.