SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Getting new cross drilled brakes for my SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-01, 11:04 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't written in awhile so I thought I'd share some stuff to recap for newer members.

After 2 years of finetuing, I've just about renewed or improved most of the parts of my car:

THE STUFF ON DA CAR
1993 Dark Green(for now)SC400.
(some of the members have seen my car at the first bay area meeting)
(for some of the older members..this is review..but for some of the new ones..here you go)
A full out Eclipset 7001 Reciever w 5.7" screen
Eclipse 400 watt amp. real nice MBquart highs, mids, and tweeters. 10"JLaudio sub w/it's own 200 watt ATI amp. Full DSP singaling. Full, rich, concert sound in 14 different environments and sound settings.
I have a sony TV tuner w/3 hidden antennas and a sony portable DVD player piping through as well(hearing the intros of DVD's on this system..is QUITE an experience).
In dash 6 disc eclipse changer. 12 disc eclipse speed trunk changer. 6 gigabyte creative labs portable mp3
player(over 1000 songs)

Custom Head Up display system showing odometer
Custom two-toned Connelly soft plush leather.
Custon HID Phillips projection headlamps.
Clear corner lights. All superwhite exterior and interior lights upgraded
Custom HID Phillips foglamps(looks like a frieight train).
Custom black center pieces and black leather shifter
Custom black lexus "motorsport" floormats
(the interior is seamless black/tan two tone).

Swift-racing torque converter(cuts my 0-60 by .5 seconds).(I hit about 6 seconds)
RMM air intake kit
SS Magnaflow mufflers w/SS Alcon exhaust tips.
Tein HA adjustable coilover springs(handles better than the CLK or Jag XK8).
Aluminum Finish Strusse SSR 18X8.5 front, 18X9,5 rear wheels wrapped in 35 series Z-rated Toyo tires.

COMMENTS
My goal was not to further the rice rocket phenomenon by my contemporaries in this area, but moreover, to carry on the existing timeless beauty of the SC400/300 series and add "subte" but bold upgrades w/out lessening the luxury coupe's essence.

After going to a couple driving schools and driving some well handling bimmers...I can safely tell you that w/the upgrades...my car can outhandle a 540sport w/ease.
Include the CLK430 on that list as well. The ride I have to admit is MUCH harsher w/this suspension, but it's a welcome sarcrifice for the performance gained.

I love the HID upgrades and encourage other SC owners to do so. You won't be sorry. The car looks like a sleek freight train at night. I never cease to get looks from gaulking admirers from this car at night.
The spinning of the shiny aluminum wheels against the dark paint w/the bluish white HID projections is quite a site. Listening to 1 of various media in a true concert sound environment really helps decompress a hard working day. (you all remember that SC commercial being called the "executive decompression chamber"?)

The torque converter provides well needed punch to a realtively docile car, and w/the handling, and the extra breathing power of the intake and exhuast...you catch a glipse of wut this engine can do..

NEW UPGRADE REPORT

THE LAST THING showing age are the paint(not by wear, but style) and my brakes w/rust on them.
To alleviate that....

NEWLY INSTALLED:
Front and back cross drilled brakes w/SS brake lines
and metalmaster pads.

ON the way:
OEM Aluminum replacements for the wood trim.
trying to win my money back so I can FINALLY get my supercharging project on. Muhammad's beeng waiting on me for over a year. Time to deliver.

I'll let you (those who are interested in mods)...know the results of the brake upgrade over stock.

More power to all you guys who are making big power and big TASTEFUL upgrades. I saw some sick cars in the bay area meeting and they just keep getting better. Keep it up!

Anthracite SC. a.k.a. Spirithome
Old 04-04-01, 03:41 AM
lxxxs
Driver

where are u getting the OEM aluminum for the wood trim? i have it for the ac, stereo and ashtray, but would love it for the wood trim.
Old 04-04-01, 08:58 AM
SC400james
Rookie

Default Great Upgrades

Anthracite sounds like a great car. I have a 94 SC400 and I'm ready to start on some upgrades. The only upgrade I have now is 17" wheels. I had the same problem with the rusty looking Calipers and inside of rear rotor. Yesterday I had them painted and they look Great. I am going to do the intake/exhaust upgrade. I am also considering the ECU. I didn't see it on your list. Is there a reason you didn't get it? Waiting for the supercharger ECU? Where did you find a supercharger for the car? I haven't been able to find a source for one yet. I'm waiting on a response from Swift.

Thanks
James
Old 04-04-01, 04:33 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default ECU? and Aluminum answers

Hey James,

Well..I'm just waiting for the swift-ecu. The only supercharging aspirations I have is the swift-supercharger. But it won't be available till the summer, and my stocks HOPEFULLY will recover by then. I lost all my potential supercharger money in there. Let's hope it all recovers.

lxxs.

There's this guy in florida who does aluminum finishes...I'm sending him some old pieces from another SC and he's going to put the finish on the wood. I dunno how it's going to turn out...but we'll see.

Swift-was working on an aluminum kit for me too, but it's not read yet. Maybe sometime in the future.

Old 04-04-01, 10:00 PM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Why dont you get Porsche brakes from wreckers?

Heya,

How much are you spending on brakes?? One of my mates managed to lift a set of porsche brakes off a wrecker for only AU$700, and fitted it to his Silvia. That might be a cheaper alternative than forking out $$$ for new Brembo's which run into the AU$4000 range and they work just as good (maybe better). let me tell you that the porsche brakes in a light car (Silvia) stops it like hitting a brick wall... Now... my turn to scour the local wreckers.... ... gotta wait for more porsches to go sideways into a pole...

Cheers,

Toan.

Old 04-04-01, 11:52 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default No brembros for me

Nah..I'm just getting stock looking cross drilled rotors and metal master breaks. Nowhere near 4000 bucks.
It's more like 800. Stainless steel lines too.

I won't get big rotors and brake kits until I have big power in the car to stop.

Good idea w/the porsche brakes though. Thanks for the idea.

Anthracite.
Old 04-07-01, 09:40 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Got the brakes and intake installed

Hi...I got the cross drilled rotors with stainless steel lines and metalmaster pads today.

AFter the intallation, I really liked the look of the
new cross drilled rotors. They are stock rotor size so about 12 inches or so. All of the rust on my car is gone.

Wuts left is a very positive brake response.
The metal master pads bite very well and I also feel a quicker firmer response due to the stainless steel lines.

I would say roughly that this new setup improved my braking distance and performance easily by 305. Also these metalmaster pads are designed to last 4-5 times longer than the lexus pads.

The Rod Millen intake is HUGE...it attached and replaced the stock airbox. The car breathes better on both ends now and along w/the punch of the torque converter....I get the most of the engine I have...minus an ECU upgrade.

It's fun stuff....

Anthracite SC
Old 04-08-01, 10:30 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Wut brakes are the rest of you using?

I wanted to know wut brake upgrades were the rest of you guys using? Thanks.

Anthracite