SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How many SC430s are out there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-01, 06:02 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

How many club members have the new SC430?

Haven't read much on the site about what it's like to own and drive one of these beauties.

What did it take to get one this early?
Old 04-03-01, 06:38 AM
SC400james
Rookie

I don't own one but I went by the local dealer the other day and they had a few to look at. They are getting 17 a month and have over 300 people on the wait list as of last friday. It would be nice to be able to score one now drive for the summer and sell for a profit.

Old 04-03-01, 04:50 PM
Paul Hawker

Talking new sc 430

New SC 430 is a refined ride, with unbelievable sound system, unique looks, and the best convertable top in the world. Compared to my previous SC400 (92) it is smaller inside, not as good handling, and not as spectacular looking. Engine is much improved. Pulls stronger, and even quieter. Back seat is for parcels and really small people (who you don't especially like)
Put my name on the list 4 months ago, and was #40 out of 200+. When because of the current stock market condition one person backed out I was moved up the list because of color selection. I got a pearl white (fantastic) with ecru. The car interior is flat our beautiful except for the sound system which sounds like a live concert, but looks like it was a K-Mart installed Kraco. Seats are magnificant, and car gets lots of thumbs up. Run flat tires are misfitted for this car. Thumps for 1st 100 yards, hunts terribly on freeway rain grooves, and squeel when pushed even moderatly hard. Believe these are a terrible mistake, caused by tiny trunk. Lexus really copped out here. Should have come with Michelin Pilot sports.
Old 04-03-01, 06:34 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Paul,

First, congratulations on your new toy. Enjoy it!

I'm surprised about your comment that the 430 doesn't handle as well as your 92 400. All the rags are marveling over the 430's ride. Where do you see the new one coming up short?

Not as spectacular looking? Maybe I've just grown used to the look of the SC400 after 10 years, but the pictures of the SC430s I've seen look really hot.

Damn shame about the run flats. Have Pilots myself and love them. But then I had to live with the OEM Bridgestones until they passed away. Wonder what the dealer might be willing to do for you to get a spare in the trunk. Then you could buy the Pilots (not cheap, but maybe better than living with non-performing run flats until they die of natural causes). Maybe they'd be willing to work with you so you wouldn't have to buy the extra wheel and four new tires? Worth asking.

Last edited by RealMarty; 04-03-01 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-03-01, 07:03 PM
exsilio

Default I think what paul meant was...

I could be wrong..but I think Paul just worded things wrong. I think he meant the 400 was not as attractive and had the weaker engine. I thought what you did at first...heh heh

Well I am on a list...don't know which list, I am using a leasing broker, so hopefully that will expedite the process. But I am not holding my breath.

And while I see his point about the stereo, I can't say I totally agree. I think the look is appropriate in comparison to the rest of the console. I have been trying to think of an alternative and I can't. The brushed metal was a good, neutral choice.

I have heard good things about the Pilots, but I will wait until I can fully drive the 430 before I judge the run-flats. I have heard they increase the road noise and bumpiness. But only by nominal levels. But I can't stand squealing tires when turning a corner...

And regarding the looks...can you say meow!!! wow! What a gorgeous looking car. Everything about this car is beautiful...except the lack of space...but a small price to pay for a hard top convertible.

Can't wait! Good luck to those in expectation.

- ex
Old 04-04-01, 01:13 PM
Paul Hawker

Cool

Clarifications to my previous post. My SC 430 rides great, but handles worse than my previous SC400. I believe major problem is that it pushes terribly, and the run flats have such hard sidwalls the tires cannot comform to allow tred to stay on road. Regarding it's looks, while the old coupe had the classical long hood, short deck of a pony car the new car has a long bustle (butt), and a greenhouse way too small for the lines of the car. Don't believe it will age as gracefully as the earlier SC. (That car will always be a classic). I am an auto enthusiast. I purchased the SC 430 after driving a Viper GTS for 4 years. Hope Lexus will come up with a "L" high performance package with better handling and acceleration. Kind of like a Porsche "S" package or Mercedes AMG. I believe the Lexus would enhance it's image with such a package, and expand it's market.
Old 04-04-01, 08:19 PM
PaulGS3
Driver

I hadn't seen any of the new SC's until today, then I saw three (all Silver) in less than an hour.

I still think that the original SC is the best-looking Lexus thus far.
Old 04-06-01, 10:10 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC 430?

Yes i love the SC 430. A guy today came to my work and was driving one.I ask questions about it and said that his daughter placed an order about 1 year to a half year ago,and told me it costs around $60,000 plus,the SC 430 was gold and the interior was awesome,chrome emblems on the back of the headrests and lots of stuff to look at, it was something i had never seen before,better looking than the LS 430 interior in my opinon, also the odometer was top at 180, but does the ecu allow it to go that fast?
Old 04-09-01, 07:07 PM
drgrey
Driver School Candidate

My SC430 is now two weeks new. Only 300 mi., but I've already observed some good and not-so-good characteristics. The worst was the ride with the run flats before I discovered that the tires were inflated to 37 lbs. When I lowered it to 33-the recommended pressure-the ride improved greatly, though not perfect. I agree with those who say that Lexus has to come up with a better solution to the trunk problem than just fitting the run-flats that are currently on the market. Next problem is the tendency for some body flex when the top is down. I'm coming out of an M-B SLK-the other hard-top convt. which is far less flexible. Third, there is more than a little wind noise at the windshield or A pillars than I'd like It may be less than other cars, but is noticeable because the car is otherwise so quiet. Last issue for me so far is the ecru upholstery which is so light it shows every scrap of dirt. Everything else is as good as I expected, or better. The exterior color is red. A cross between Ferrari and Porsche Guards red, and beautiful. It attracts a lot of attention.

On another -related-subject. I agree with the user who posted the suggestion for a separate SC 430 site. You may know that the convertible will be joined by two coupes in the not to distant future, and there may be performance versions or afermarket goodies for this/these car(s) specifically. The interests of the club will be better served, I believe, if the 430s are treated as distinct from the 300/400s, which they surely are.

drgrey
Old 04-11-01, 11:33 AM
Paul Hawker

Question

Did not know about two new coupes. Could you bring me up to date. Hope they have some preformance options such as AMG for Mercedes, and "M" power like BMW. Think Lexus is on a roll, and are hitting their stride.
I love my new SC 430, but share your concerns. In addition, do you have difficulty getting in and out .I keep skuffing my door sills? Especially when due to close cars I can't open the door all the way. They seem too tall and wide.
Old 04-11-01, 11:43 AM
exsilio

Question hmmm....

All the 430's are shipping with the run flats. I am waiting for mine to come in...do you think I should opt for different tires? Just go back to the non run flats Lexus offers? And if I do, I suppose Ill have to put the spare in the trunk?

What do you guys think?
Old 04-11-01, 02:49 PM
FastSC300

Paul,
A viper GTS??

I have tried to go down in performance myself and hate it. I have owned two supra TT 6-speeds, both at 400+rwhp. I sold them, bought a lexus sc300 5-speed and not one day goes by where I don't wish I had lots more power.

I had tried to get a Viper after I sold the last supra TT but things didn't work out

I hope to add a viper to my list with in the next few years.

Later
Scot Hail

Old 04-11-01, 03:31 PM
philbrennan
Driver School Candidate

Default just got mine

I just received my SC430 last Friday. I had my name at 3 Dealerships, none of which would take my deposit because they said the line was to long already. I thought I would be waiting a few more months, but then 2 of the 3 dealerships called me last week. One had my color (red/ecru). I must have moved up the list due to cancellations.

I now have 250 miles on it. I'm still in the infatuation stage, thus I can't find anything I don't like. Maybe this is because my commuter car is a 12 year old Honda Accord!

Phil
Old 04-11-01, 04:00 PM
exsilio

Default congrats phil

...you lucky bastard!

I'm on 11 list as of this week. So I'll see what happend. I just got a call on the phone for White Gold/Ecru. It was my second choice, but I really want Silver. So the waiting game continues.

Feel free to write a review on you 430, I would love to live vicariously.