Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

leak in car (help please!!)

Old 04-03-16, 05:40 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverRat
I needed a bump for post #18, I have water in my trunk and I think its ruining my amplifier, need to find out how to stop it. The sunroof drain hose is connected properly and is not clogged
I had a problem with water in my trunk and rear passenger parcel shelf area. Found the rear glass seal have dried out silicone/sealant and was allowing water to seek pass getting in the trunk and down to the passenger back seat. Had the glass removed and resealed problem solved.

This could be your problem to find it you have to remove the rear parcel shelf.
Old 09-19-16, 07:06 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn man... Hop in my car for a quick ride to the bank, and notice dripping on my right hand where the shifter is. Look up and rain is coming the roof light/sunroof buttons.

This has to be the clogged moonroof right? It's pouring outside right now, and I have nothing to cover it with.
Old 09-19-16, 02:30 PM
mnpoole
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wet carpet

If you find wet carpet and your vehicle has a sunroof, the most likely problem is the sunroof glass gasket. The drains are important and must be clear, you can check these with some trimmer line. However, these drains were not design to handle much water as they terminate in between the cabin & firewall sheet metal connections in what is called a flange-drain (used on RX models). When the sunroof gasket is faulty and not sealing properly, it will allow more water to enter than the drains can handle through the bottom flange-drains. Due to the location of these drains, the over-flow of water is allowed access to the cabin via holes used for wiring and fuse panels in the outside kick-panels. The leaking will soak the carpet from underneath and have all the padding wet before you notice water on top of the carpet.

If your water is running in at the kick-panels, your drains are clear and the sunroof gasket needs replacing. If your headliner is wet or top of the seats then your drains are clogged from leaf matter and/or pollen and dripping in from the top.

The sunroof drains are a poor design on the RX and should never have been terminated in the manner they are designed. The drain tubes should have ran completely outside the bottom of the vehicle in order to handled the amount of water generated by a faulty sunroof gasket.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Old 09-19-16, 11:04 PM
DA51
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be helpful if the SC car owners without sunroofs are having water coming into the floor areas?

Another problem with the door plastic film panels is the cable to the door lever that unlocks the door. The cable passes through the film. Put a dab of Silicone on the cables door side of the film so water cannot follow the cables. I taped every hole in the door panel not being used.

Last edited by DA51; 09-21-16 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 12:46 PM
ScottSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
Damn man... Hop in my car for a quick ride to the bank, and notice dripping on my right hand where the shifter is. Look up and rain is coming the roof light/sunroof buttons.

This has to be the clogged moonroof right? It's pouring outside right now, and I have nothing to cover it with.
I just had the same thing happen on my '95. Prior to this, I didn't even know it was leaking. Were you able to fix it?