RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX 350 Hesitation shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-10, 09:26 AM
danhinton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 2010 RX 350 Hesitation shifting gears

I have read several threads regarding hesitation and stalling, bun none address what I am experiencing. If I shift from reverse to drive, or drive to reverse, even after coming to a full stop, there is a 2-3 second delay before the vehicle will accelerate. If I have the gas pedal depressed during this delay, the vehicle will suddenly accelerate once the delay time has lapsed. This could be very dangerous in a parking lot, or if I lend the vehicle to someone who is unfamiliar with this characteristic. I have spoken to the dealer, they say it's "normal" and that I should wait the 2-3 seconds before attempting to accelerate. I have owned 15 vehicles in my lifetime, none have ever needed a pause before accelerating after switching gears. Is anyone else experiencing this? Can I impose on the forum readers to check their vehicle under the same conditions? I have driven several other Lexus models as a loaner while mine is in for service, this seems to be a problem only with the 2010 RX 350. I can't believe the dealer expects me to wait between switching gears in a $55,000 vehicle. Nowhere in the owners manual does it say to wait 2-3 seconds after switching gears or rapid acceleration could result. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 06-21-10, 10:25 AM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danhinton
I have read several threads regarding hesitation and stalling, bun none address what I am experiencing. If I shift from reverse to drive, or drive to reverse, even after coming to a full stop, there is a 2-3 second delay before the vehicle will accelerate. If I have the gas pedal depressed during this delay, the vehicle will suddenly accelerate once the delay time has lapsed. This could be very dangerous in a parking lot, or if I lend the vehicle to someone who is unfamiliar with this characteristic. I have spoken to the dealer, they say it's "normal" and that I should wait the 2-3 seconds before attempting to accelerate. I have owned 15 vehicles in my lifetime, none have ever needed a pause before accelerating after switching gears. Is anyone else experiencing this? Can I impose on the forum readers to check their vehicle under the same conditions? I have driven several other Lexus models as a loaner while mine is in for service, this seems to be a problem only with the 2010 RX 350. I can't believe the dealer expects me to wait between switching gears in a $55,000 vehicle. Nowhere in the owners manual does it say to wait 2-3 seconds after switching gears or rapid acceleration could result. Any feedback is appreciated.
sounds more like transmission on its "way out" or out of adjustment or incorrect fluid level, etc. I think you are the first to report "delay" for 10RX. take it to another dealer and have them test drive side-by-side with another 10RX and check the fluid level/leak/burn smell etc.
Old 06-21-10, 10:53 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

well on page 145:

Do not under any circumstances shift the shift lever to R while the vehicle is moving
forward.
Doing so can cause significant damage to the driveline and may result in a loss of
vehicle control.
and then on page 146

When shifting the shift lever
Be careful not to shift the shift lever with the accelerator pedal depressed.
This may lead to unexpected rapid acceleration of the vehicle that may cause an
accident and result in death or serious injury.
I agree that there should not be any hesitation when shifting. Maybe try shifting into neutral at the end of backing up and then engaging drive right when the vehicle stops rolling. But perhaps you do need to drive another RX. Tell the dealer to take out an RX loaner and see if its the same issue.
Old 06-21-10, 11:22 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try driving another rx350 from the lot like rxsf suggested. I find it hard to believe that this is normal behavior for your car. I can't comment from experience because I have a hybrid (no hesittation at all), but surely others would have reported similar experiences if this was "normal".
Old 06-21-10, 12:27 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My IS250 does this too, like it will delay when shifting. Has been like it since Day 1 though. I don't drive my mom's RX often enough to really notice it.
Old 06-21-10, 12:52 PM
BHart882
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota/Lexus transmissions are considered some of the smoothest and most reliable out there. I have owned two Lexuses and one Toyota and have never had problems with hesitation. Your problem is very atypical for a Lexus RX.

One of the main reasons I chose the Lexus RX over the Audi Q5 and Cadillac SRX was the reports on message boards for those models of transmission problems that could not be fixed, despite repeated dealer visits. The current BMW X3 automatic is the worst offender in this regard.
Old 06-21-10, 01:51 PM
danhinton
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice so far...I did take another RX vehicle for a test drive and found it did the same, hence the dealer saying this is "normal". There is no problem with fluid smell or burning. The vehicle has done this since new. My point is that this is not normal, regardless of how many vehicles do it. I worked for Toyota customer service for a year, no one ever called to complain of this issue. The dealer agrees there is a hesitation, they are just not willing to do anything about it. If I can get feedback from other owners, it will help me decide what my next step should be.
Old 06-21-10, 01:57 PM
danhinton
Driver School Candidate

The manual is correct, however, my foot is on the brake when shifting gears. Once the vehicle has stopped, if I hit the accelerator, it lags badly, then lunges. If I wait 2-3 seconds, there is no hesitation. It's like the computer needs time to figure out that it's OK to let me hit the gas. Considering I bought the "Sport Edition", this is unacceptable.
Old 06-21-10, 02:23 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I only have about a half of a second delay. I checked this out after reading your post. It does not immediately jump in gear but in no way is it 2-3 seconds. Seems like that could be corrected through programing since everything is computer controlled.
Old 06-21-10, 02:26 PM
danhinton
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info...
Old 06-21-10, 06:26 PM
makalan
Driver School Candidate

I havent really push my RX yet, but i notice when I use to drove my IS, if I dont wait .5 sec after I done switch gear, there is hesitation (1 sec ish) and follow a suddenly acceleration.

I believe there is not too much about the car completely stopped or not, it is the time (.5 sec) required after changing the gear box. (of course, reverse gear while forward motion = bad)

My explanation is even you brought a sport package, but it is still an automatic after all, there is no way it will operation like manual w/ clutch. (as far as I know, sport package has no change on ECU, and engine setup).

I'll definitely test your scenario on my sport package RX, and I'll give you some result.

Last edited by makalan; 06-21-10 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-21-10, 06:44 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danhinton
Thanks for the advice so far...I did take another RX vehicle for a test drive and found it did the same, hence the dealer saying this is "normal". There is no problem with fluid smell or burning. The vehicle has done this since new. My point is that this is not normal, regardless of how many vehicles do it. I worked for Toyota customer service for a year, no one ever called to complain of this issue. The dealer agrees there is a hesitation, they are just not willing to do anything about it. If I can get feedback from other owners, it will help me decide what my next step should be.
I have owned various Lexus models and I am those owners that shift into gear as soon as engine starts regardless how cold/hot vehicle may be but never experienced "delay" and it engages immediately without any hesitation. Since you drove other RX and found to be same as yours, your observation of "2-3" seconds may actually be 1/2 second? If dealer checked fluid level/condition and no other sign of problem, it should be ok, but if it is actual delay, transmission may be on its way out. There are always a defective parts regardless of manufacturer. Earlier this year, one of the owner noted here he needed transmission replacement with 2K on ODO.
Old 06-21-10, 07:06 PM
oscqc
Rookie

I don't know which dealer in Ontario you are using, but it sounds to me like he is just trying to calm you down without fixing the problem. My vehicle is a 450h, so it is not comparable to your unit. I am convinced that my dealer is a scoundrel and I am considering getting all my service work done at the nearest other dealer, even though it is 100 km away. I suggest that, since you are also in Ontario, that you call Lexus Canada and take it up with them as the dealer is not fixing the problem. Best of luck.
Old 06-21-10, 07:21 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Mine got 0.5 second delay. With all the stuff controlled by ECU or chips, maybe this is why Toyota/Lexus says it's "normal". I do agreed many of the cars I used to drive had the faster or much faster response time.

Btw, someone did address the similar issue 13 months ago and he even got "stall" when shifting quickly.

I have to play Devil's advocate here. No matter it's "delay", "lag", or "stall", they're all related to "safety". However, I don't believe the gas pedal should even be depressed during this transaction. In normal life, I don't think this trick is said by instructors or any books.

Maybe it's time to consider not to do it!?
Old 06-21-10, 08:36 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree that it might just be "perceived" that it is 2 seconds, but rather it is more like half a second. In a situation like that, it is easy to feel like the time is prolonged because you are frustrated with the tranny. Also, the sports package does not change the behavior of the tranny.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX 350 Hesitation shifting gears