RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

ABS, VSC, Brake, TPS lights on? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-06, 11:34 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS, VSC, Brake, TPS lights on? HELP!!

sup guys. i have a 2004 rx330. all the lights on the right side of the cluster : ABS, VSC, Brake, and tire pressure sensor lights are on and the tps is blinking.

took it to the dealership and they reset the sensor watever, and drove off and the lights came back on.
took it back and they said they have to diagnose the problem but it might be the ABS ACTUATOR and it'll cost $3200 to replace.

i recently had just the rear tires replaced. would that cause the lights to go on because the front tires are more worn out than the new rear ones and the tire pressure sensor would think theres no air in the front?
dont really want to pay $3200 for a stupid blinking tps light.

any input is appreciated.

thanks!
Yun
Old 11-21-06, 01:24 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Try getting the obdII code dump from place like Autozone. Search or post the codes here. Hopefully some one can explain them for you.

Salim
Old 11-21-06, 03:29 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had that happen to me once about 2 years ago. I called the dealer and they couldn't take me in until a week later. Drive around like that for a few days and it went off. Since it was off by the time I took it to the dealer they claimed they could not find any stored codes so they did nothing. It never happened again
Old 11-22-06, 11:49 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

yea this happened once 2 years ago as well and it never happened again until recently and now the lights always come on after 20miles.
Old 11-22-06, 04:53 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

ok so the dealership called me back and told me to pick up my car cuz it's ready.
i read the paper and they replaced the ABS ACTUATOR that he quoted me $3200 FOR FREE!
so on my way home, the lights come back on again......
Old 11-22-06, 07:54 PM
justfixit
Driver

Believe it or not this is caused by a intermittent defective brake light switch. There is a Special Service Campaign for 04 RX330 SSC 4LH.
There are a few cases where after replacement of switch your condition appears especially if the switch is not properly adjusted. In cases where the lights are on, if you can get to dealership and not turn vehicle off it will give a VSC trouble code for switch failure.
Have your local dealer check and see if SSC 4LH has been performed.
Good luck
Old 11-22-06, 10:04 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the info. i'll let the serviceguy know.
Old 11-23-06, 02:05 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Hmmm, very interesting. I've already had my brake lights switch replaced under the recall campaign after I had the problem, so maybe that is why I never had any trouble again.
Old 12-20-06, 08:31 PM
lwing28
Driver School Candidate

IS the SSC 4LH for the defective brake light switch free of charge from the dealer? I just started getting this problem on my 04 Rx with 66k miles. Thanks All for the info.
Old 12-20-06, 08:55 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lwing28
IS the SSC 4LH for the defective brake light switch free of charge from the dealer? I just started getting this problem on my 04 Rx with 66k miles. Thanks All for the info.
it should be. it was treated as a recall. just gotta make sure your VIN falls within the affected range and that it hasn't been performed in the past...
Old 12-21-06, 05:25 AM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The VIN range is in reply #12 in this thread:
http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144014

On the RX330, the tire pressure monitor is dependent on the ABS system. If the computer doesn't think the ABS is working, then the TPMS will also fail and make the light blink. Your tires probably have nothing to do with it.
Old 12-26-06, 08:32 PM
lwing28
Driver School Candidate

Called dealer to in Brooklyn Ny today regarding SSC 4LH , he told me the recall is good for only rx's up to 50K miles. Mine has 66k on it and I would have to pay for the defective switch, Is this true? Thanks for the advice..
Old 12-27-06, 05:09 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd say that the warranty period is irrelevant. This is a recall - an actual service campaign as filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Mileage shouldn't matter if your vehicle is affected and the work has not been done.

The dealer would be 100% correct for technical service bulletins, like squeaks, rattles, minor fixes, etc. Parts and labor must be covered by a warranty (bumper-to-bumper or powertrain), and the TSB says so on the first page.

The recall notice sent to dealers doesn't say anything about requiring warranty coverage. All it says is that the car must be in the affected VIN range and that the service record must be checked to ensure that the work has not already been done.

I'd call Lexus Customer Service immediately and clear this up.
Old 12-27-06, 06:28 PM
lwing28
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice, will call up Lexus Customer service tomorrow and see what they say. Will keep everyone posted.. Thanks Again!!
Old 12-30-06, 03:45 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lwing28
Called dealer to in Brooklyn Ny today regarding SSC 4LH , he told me the recall is good for only rx's up to 50K miles. Mine has 66k on it and I would have to pay for the defective switch, Is this true? Thanks for the advice..
The SSC is a Special Service Campaign, to the best of my knowledge it does not expire at 50K miles. I'll have to check today at work. If you want to shoot me your VIN I can check the National data base ad see if your vehicle qualifies for the campaign and if or not it's been done. I have had a few vehicle that had the campaign performed and still had to have the switch replaced again.

And I agree, if you do not get the answers you want do call the 800 number, I would like to say it shouldn't come to that but not all dealers are really Lexus worthy.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: ABS, VSC, Brake, TPS lights on? HELP!!