RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

seatbelt advice please

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 07:52 AM
reisjdmd
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default seatbelt advice please

my passenger spilled some barbeque sauce into the seatbelt snap assembly [the lower part of the 2 part assembly]. we immediately tried to wipe everything off. but, now, when you insert the belt int the locking asseembly, it does not hold onto the belt [and the belt warning light stays on]. any suggestions as to how to clean this mess up?? do i have to remove the entire lower assembly or can i dis-assemble it in place?? i just need to clean out the metal snapping spring controlled portion. i hope all of this maks sense.
Old 12-26-12, 09:13 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

We are talking about the receptacle right ,,, the one with the red plastic you press to release?

You can replace it for under $50.

Or remove the bolt, disconnect the wire and rinse it out. Then let it dry out completely and spray it with wd40 and shake it dry. Let it sit for a day or two and then do couple of buckle-unbuckle a few times. Connect the wire and check everything is working. If so bolt the piece in. Keep a towel and keep wiping the buckle as it may stain your clothes. Note : i am suggesting wd40, just because of water rinse. [rust prevention].

All in all I would say replace it as it is safety item.

Salim
Old 12-27-12, 06:28 AM
reisjdmd
Driver

yes salim, the recepticle.thank you. now i know the correct term. where is the "bolt" whereof you speak located?? do i have to remove the seat or somthing??
Old 12-27-12, 09:21 AM
salimshah

I have not taken it apart .. but follow the receptacle towards the seat tracks. Move the seat to create access. Lets us know what you find out.

My driver side is acting up. I have to hold down the red button to engage the buckle. I was about to order one from Sewell but their site does not allow internet order.

Salim
Old 12-28-12, 06:09 AM
reisjdmd
Driver

salim

yesterday i moved the passenger seat as far back as possible, but it is not close to giving access to anything involving servicing the recepticle. i will have to do a more research into gaining access to the recepticle. if i learn anything useful i will let you know, by PM if possible.
Old 12-28-12, 07:32 AM
salimshah

Pop the end cover on the rails and undo the four bolts holding the seat rails down. I would suggest that you get help as you move the seat around. They are large and bulky and one person will not be able to see around it and a slight miscalculation can cause a rip in the interior.

I always welcome PM, but a post will benefit all members.

Salim
Old 12-28-12, 12:49 PM
salimshah

I just thought of one more last ditch option for you ...

Wrap the bottom of the receptacle in towel and pour about half a cup of water in it. Repeat as necessary, till clear water runs out. Change the towel and let the thing dry. Spray a shot of wd40 and work the buckle in an out out. Keep cleaning the buckle till wd40 does not come on it.

Cross your fingers and power on the RX. I doubt the fuse would blow, but you may get false indication till the things dry-out or end up as permanently busted.

Salim
Old 12-31-12, 06:49 AM
reisjdmd
Driver

thanks salim. as soon as things warm up a bit, i'll try the hot water route. if i learn anything positive, i'll post it here.
Old 12-31-12, 08:07 AM
salimshah

Wisconsin winter can be long and brutal , but I would not delay it as the longer you allow the spill, the harder it will be to wash off .. you may need some scrubbing (which is impossible imho). At the same time, you need to do it in above freezing environment.

Salim
Old 01-01-13, 04:48 AM
reisjdmd
Driver

salim
as long as the key is not in the ignition, do u think there is any chance of causing a short circuit by pouring water into the recepticle?? should i disconect the battery? of course i would let it dry out thoroughly b4 reconnecting the battery; perhaps using a harir dryer.
Old 01-01-13, 07:50 AM
salimshah

Safest is to disconnect the battery and reconnect when the thing does not have standing fluid.

Be careful with the dryer as it can melt plastic and the can ruin the seats. If you have access to compressed air, that would be the best for insitu cleanup.

For pouring in warm water, it would be nice if you have a plastic bottle with a nozzle or even a turkey baster to direct the flow. I am concerned about the seat getting wet or damaged.

Salim
Old 01-02-13, 07:45 AM
reisjdmd
Driver

all excellent suggestions. thank you. i will post a follow-up if and when i get this thing done.
Old 01-24-13, 10:22 PM
salimshah

I placed an order for my driver side seat buckle. The red 'press' release button is not coming out to the top when I release the belt. Lock (secure position) seems to be working, but something is wrong inside.

Salim
Old 02-04-13, 08:55 PM
salimshah

Replaced my buckle (receptacle) today. Here is the step by step.

1. Move the seat back till the plastic cover of the bolts is exposed.
2. Pry away the plastic covers.
3, Undo the bolts
4. Move the seat ahead till the plastic cover over the hold down bolts are exposed.
5. Raise the seat a bit.
6. Pry away the covers.
7. Undo the bolts.
8. Disconnect the power.
9. Tip the seat back and undo the two connectors.
10. Cut away the tape on the wire hold down. Note the position and direction.
11. Carefully pull out the seat.
12. Open the cover hiding the bolt that secures the buckle.
13. Undo the bolt and keep track of the position of the washers and the wave washer.
14. Note how the wire is being routed.
15. Release the wire hold down by squeezing the expanding clip in the rear.
16. Squeeze the blue tab and pull out the connector.
17. Now release the hold-down (step 10) from the seat.
18. Tape the hold down to the wire harness at the same position and direction (step 10)

Assembly is reverse of the disassembly. For step 10 in reverse snap in the hold down on the seat bottom.

Torques:
Seat to floor 4 bolts (27 ft-lbs)
Buckle to seat (32 ft-lbs). Make sure the wave washer is centered .. this will allow you to swivel the the buckle.

Hint: use a large cardboard or moving rug to cushion the seat once you have it out.

Warning: The side air bags are built in to the seat side.
Old 02-05-13, 02:41 AM
reisjdmd
Driver

thanks salim; great instructions. still bitter winter in wisconsin. as soon as it is warm enough, i will try the hot water cleanout method before trying replacement.

Quick Reply: seatbelt advice please