RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

P0770 Code

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 11:31 AM
astro5169
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0770 Code

I have done some research on this and I know it is the transaxle selonoid e that is bad. I have read where people are rebuilding transmissions.

The transmission is running find.

I am taking it to the shop tomorrow any suggestions on what to ask?/

What do I tell the shop?

How much is reasonable?

Also noticed the steering wheel was off. This freaking car...

I have an 01 rx-300 by the way. It has 110k miles
Old 08-03-08, 04:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

I am not sure as to exactly which of the solenoids this would be (as in pointing it out in a picture). However, all that needs to be done to get at it is remove the transmission pan and then remove the valve body which is thing you see here. The shift solenoids are behind this area shown here.

I don't have firsthand experience dealing with this particular code, but he service manual lists 3 possibilities:

The shift solenoid being stuck open or closed. What they have to do is blow a bit of compressed air into the valve to see that it doesn't leak air and in addition also check that the shift solenoid does indeed open when electricity is applied.

However, two other possibilities are that the valve body could be clogged, in which case it would need replacement. The other one, which could require much more work, and I do have firsthand experience going into that area is replacement of the torque converter clutch, which is akin but not quite to having to remove the transmission to get at the torque converter.

I think in the past, people that have had this issue have wound up just replacing the solenoid. However, taking off the tranny pan should reveal any chunks of metal on the magnets, which you don't want.

Just replacing the solenoid valve might cost a few hundred, but under $500 USD with a shop involved, perhaps $300 USD.

Describe for me more about how the steering is off.

That could be a symptom of any of a number of things, bad shock, bad bolt holding the steering rack and in a minor case a loose bolt on the top of the steering column.
Attached Thumbnails P0770 Code-img_0681.jpg  
Old 08-03-08, 06:25 PM
astro5169
Driver School Candidate

Default reply

The steering wheel is slightly to the left. It doesnt pull or anything.

I just had work on it and they replaced the rear main seal and the oil pan seal. I had the front o2 sensor changed as well. This code came up as soon as I drove it off the parking area. I am hoping they are nicer witht he price. They dropped the tranny to do all this work so maybe they will take credit for not doing it right. It was leaking oil everywhere underneath. Cost was $1800 for everything.

I was also looking at the bill and they said the front hydraulic was leaking? Not sure what this was. But, will ask about as well.

The car drives fine and I am not sure that the work is necessary but it is the wives and I dont want to get her stranded and we might keep the car 3 more years....
Old 08-03-08, 06:41 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by astro5169
The steering wheel is slightly to the left. It doesnt pull or anything.

I just had work on it and they replaced the rear main seal and the oil pan seal. I had the front o2 sensor changed as well. This code came up as soon as I drove it off the parking area. I am hoping they are nicer witht he price. They dropped the tranny to do all this work so maybe they will take credit for not doing it right. It was leaking oil everywhere underneath. Cost was $1800 for everything.

I was also looking at the bill and they said the front hydraulic was leaking? Not sure what this was. But, will ask about as well.

The car drives fine and I am not sure that the work is necessary but it is the wives and I dont want to get her stranded and we might keep the car 3 more years....
Other possibilities with the steering wheel could be a suspension arm bushing or just an alignment.

I wonder if by front hydraulic they were referring to the front engine mount.
Old 08-03-08, 07:04 PM
astro5169
Driver School Candidate

Default /?

I am going to ask first thing in the morning. The $1800 included a new exhaust manifold. The old one had the front o2 sensor seized up. I got that cod fixed and a new one came up. Also I have a dent on my front dash from a knee. It is slightly below the air bag square. Iwas able to reach it a bit and push it out some but it is still noticebale. any suggestions on fixing? I was thinking of a paint and bosy shop...
Old 08-03-08, 07:11 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I am going to ask first thing in the morning. The $1800 included a new exhaust manifold. The old one had the front o2 sensor seized up. I got that cod fixed and a new one came up. Also I have a dent on my front dash from a knee. It is slightly below the air bag square. Iwas able to reach it a bit and push it out some but it is still noticebale. any suggestions on fixing? I was thinking of a paint and bosy shop...
I can't quite picture where you are talking about on the dash, but it is possible to use a bit of body filler or paste and then repaint the section. I have done that twice several years ago to get rid of some scuffing.
Old 08-04-08, 04:51 PM
astro5169
Driver School Candidate

They fixed the tow on the car and reset the code. They belive it happened when they turned the transmission upside down when dropping it to replace the seals. 40 miles and no problem. Will it relight? Also it was the motor mount...$300 installed... do I need it?
Old 08-04-08, 04:57 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

We have no idea if the code will come up again, we'll just have to see. It's not a common code though.

The motor mount you do need or you will have the motor banging itself up and down on every bump. Below is a picture of the motor mount.
Attached Thumbnails P0770 Code-img_1099.jpg  
Old 08-04-08, 04:58 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

And here is the motor mount from the top.
Attached Thumbnails P0770 Code-img_0738.jpg  
Old 08-04-08, 06:37 PM
astro5169
Driver School Candidate

what about the dash? Its the vinl/leather like area directly below the air bag in the passenger front? Can it be banged back in shape? Body shop or just ignore it?
Old 08-05-08, 06:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

what about the dash? Its the vinl/leather like area directly below the air bag in the passenger front? Can it be banged back in shape? Body shop or just ignore it?
Might want to take a picture if you can to show me.

However, if I understand what I think you are referring to, if you can't get to just behind that location to bang it back, you can use some body filler and try to paint to the right tone. I have done that once around the center console area.
Old 08-08-08, 11:50 AM
astro5169
Driver School Candidate

Default Back to the p0770 code

Ok..... I am in $2300 so far. How much is this Lexus worth?????

The freaking code came back on. It was p0770. Shift Solenoid Valve E. I took it to Lexus of Tulsa and they diagnosed it as the same as Orielys... For $90.

They said I would need to put in a new remanufactured transmission to fix the problem.... The transmission I mind you is running fine. It needs the solenoids changed I believe. In fact that is what I have been telling the shop in Owasso.

I called a few places and no one knows what a Lexus is in Tulsa.

Do I really need a remanufatured transmission to get my lights turned off. Becuase really this is what I am having trouble with. Not the transmission...
Old 08-08-08, 11:56 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I am betting on the solenoids myself. Unless you find in there a lot of metal bits in the pan or some blockage up in the valve body, Lexus should be competent enough to at least examine the solenoids. Sounds like they just want to make $$$.
Old 08-08-08, 01:24 PM
astro5169
Driver School Candidate

Default plus

The car runs great we owe $9k on it still and we could sell it but not with the lights on. I guess we can run it til the tranny freezes, but the way it runs now I am going to bet on that not being for a while. It really runs well.

$4500 - wow.Thats crazy for a used part.