RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Questions on RX 350 F Sport Performance 2 & 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 11:02 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Questions on RX 350 F Sport Performance 2 & 3

Can anyone help explain the F Sport Performance packages. I've seen some you tube videos of a 2020 RX 350 F Sport Performance and they call it 3. So it appears there are Performance Pkgs 2 and a Performance Pkg 3.
I noticed with the Performance Pkg 3 that it comes with a wireless charging spot behind the heated and ventilated heats and the Performance 3 comes with electric button for the rear seats instead of manual lever. Do you have to special order a Pkg 3?

When I go to Lexus build it now they don't ask if you want the Performance Pkg 2 or the 3.
What are all the options that come with Performance 2 vs the 3?
Since I'm doing a lot of looking online now with the pandemic how can I spot a RX 350 F Sport Performance pkg 2 vs a 3 on Lexus dealers website inventory most of them are just listing them as Performance not a 2 or 3.

Also why does the backup cam look like low resolution. Do they look like that on all Lexus models with a back up cam? From the you tube videos of the RX the backup cam looks like a low resolution vs other car manufactures.
Old 08-13-20, 11:48 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Probably a Lexus sales person would be more help on this than forum users. For me, it's the sporty wheels, the paddle shifters, the seats (which some people hate) and the adaptive suspension, and I like the F-Sport dash display layout better than the standard. One thing you could do is download the user manual and review the sections on instruments and driving -- there are quite a few pictures that show the differences on things like the speedometer/tach displays. Also, if you can grab the sales brochure and go to the section on colors, the choices of exterior/interior color combinations are different, between the standard and the F-Sports.

The backup camera is great -- the resolution is perfectly adequate, and I'm near-sighted and have to wear glasses.

Bear in mind, my point of reference is a 2018 -- it's a Gen 4 but there were some "refresh" changes for 2020 and I'm not familiar with those.

Last edited by dibl; 08-13-20 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-13-20, 06:37 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 44 Posts

f sport 2 is just the looks

f sport 3 has a cold air intake for the engine and also a true adaptive suspension, not the bs adaptive suspension in the 2016-2019's that just make the steering lighter so it seems the suspension is changed

Just the get f sport 2 if they want more than 2k more for the f sport 3, its a waste of money imo, its a heavily under-powered suv regardless of the 2 or 3, its not fast by no means. The f sport 3 is basically is identical to the base model rx350 in terms of being fast, its all basically looks. The base model fwd rx350 probably beats a awd f sport in a 1/4 mile just because the base is fwd which is lighter and doesnt need to send power to all four wheels which hinders the top end. Now if the f sport 3 came with a v8 or turbo, id be all over it for whatever extra they charge.
Old 08-14-20, 04:29 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by dannnn
... not the bs adaptive suspension in the 2016-2019's that just make the steering lighter so it seems the suspension is changed ...
Actually, quoting from page 379 of my 2018 user manual:

"Adaptive Variable Suspension System (if equipped)
Controls the damping force of the shock absorber of each wheel according to the road and driving conditions, helping achieve a comfortable ride, excellent driveabiity and a high level of stability."

Old 08-14-20, 07:54 AM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

The pre-refresh RX had an AVS that was capable of adjusting the level of damping force through 30 levels, while the refresh upgraded the system so it would be capable of 650 different levels.

Certainly, the newer system is probably more adept at providing a softer ride over rough roads, but I couldn't tell the difference when I test drove the 2020 F-Sport.
The following users liked this post:
dibl (08-14-20)
Old 08-14-20, 08:13 PM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I test drove both the FSport and regular 2020s quite a bit and I honestly couldn't tell much difference with the AVS. A couple sales people suggested it's truly negligible and those who think it feels "sportier" are imagining it in their heads.

Here in Canada both the FSport 2 and 3 get the AVS - the latter gets the 360 camera, HUD, ML audio, etc.
Old 08-14-20, 09:27 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by blayze1983
I test drove both the FSport and regular 2020s quite a bit and I honestly couldn't tell much difference with the AVS. A couple sales people suggested it's truly negligible and those who think it feels "sportier" are imagining it in their heads.

Here in Canada both the FSport 2 and 3 get the AVS - the latter gets the 360 camera, HUD, ML audio, etc.
The biggest difference for me was the RX F-Sports didn't dive or bob as much in moderate to heavy braking situations. That said, it's a bit of a tradeoff considering you get a stiffer suspension with the F-Sports.

I also have driven F-Sports with Bridgestone Ecopia tires and makes you wonder why Lexus couldn't at least make it a rule that all F-Sports had to leave the factory with Michelins... the Ecopias are better suited for the 450h and putting them on the F-Sports is just
Old 08-15-20, 06:53 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Thanks everyone that helps answer my questions. I was hoping the F sport would make the vehicle drive much more sporty than the base model.

I’ve had a 3 series for the past 10 yrs and an IS 350 before that. Both sporty and fast. I thought about waiting for the new IS in Dec but leaning toward wanting a higher sport utility.

The NX is too underpowered and I don’t care for the interior console layout. I like the RX interior but afraid it won’t be sporty enough for me since the F sport 3 won’t change the driving dynamics that much.

I may look at the 2020/2021 X3 M40, It might be more of what I’m use to as far as driving feel but I’m concerned it will be a rough riding SUV for a daily driver hence why I’ve been looking at the RX f sport. It’s like I want the sporty engaging driving feel but also the luxury feel of the RX.

Thanks for responding.
Old 08-15-20, 09:50 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 401 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
The NX is too underpowered and I don’t care for the interior console layout. I like the RX interior but afraid it won’t be sporty enough for me since the F sport 3 won’t change the driving dynamics that much.
You might take a look at the Acura RDX. By all accounts the 3rd gen is a very sporty driver, both in terms of handling and power. The knock on it has been its infotainment system. It appears that a lot of the early bugs have been fixed. Honda/Acura do some weird packaging, though. The highest luxury Advance trim line is required to get adaptive dampers. The appearance-only A-Spec trim (Acura's F-Sport equivalent) does not include them.
Old 08-15-20, 01:48 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Thanks everyone that helps answer my questions. I was hoping the F sport would make the vehicle drive much more sporty than the base model.

I’ve had a 3 series for the past 10 yrs and an IS 350 before that. Both sporty and fast. I thought about waiting for the new IS in Dec but leaning toward wanting a higher sport utility.

I may look at the 2020/2021 X3 M40, It might be more of what I’m use to as far as driving feel but I’m concerned it will be a rough riding SUV for a daily driver hence why I’ve been looking at the RX f sport. It’s like I want the sporty engaging driving feel but also the luxury feel of the RX.

Thanks for responding.
If you want a sporty suv lexus is def not the way to go. Bmw is but it comes with a price tag, people always talk about reliability but and its true lexus has it but currently I get a new car before the factory warranty runs out so I never keep it to the point where it breaks? If it breaks?

A couple of friends of mine have just got some new cars, and new old cars, they got the 2017 GLE 43 coupe amg (v6 twin turbo, not the 63 5.5L v8 lol), the newer x6 m's, and x7m. Out of those three id probably take the Mercedes, way down on power as the other two bmw's have ~600hp and the benz only has ~350-400hp but for me its enough and that design is going to look good in 10 years, the bmw's not so much. But right now the x7m does have stance and presence just due to its shear size, its HUGE, more room than a mini van as it has a third row. Parking next to it in the rx is like a lexus ux parking next to the rx. Makes the rx seem like a little toy car.

My friends gle coupe is wrapped flat black and it looks great, probably on different rims that fill out the wheel well a bit better. He paid about 55-60k out the door for a 2017 amg which is roughly the price of a new rx f sport. I find it amazing how lexus owners rave about their lexus's sportiness and speed when you have to floor it to even merge safely. Not to mention their outdated interior that is probably decades in the past. I had a nx for a loaner for a while and to me that had so much more power or rather more tq than the rx. You floor the rx and it kicks down hard but then goes no where all the way to red line, at least in the nx it kicks down and has some sort of pull from its little bittie turbo. My rx is still brand new so probably in a year or two ill be tempted to get a gle coup thats ~2 years old cause they lose a lot through depreciation the first couple years. Doesnt pull nearly as hard as the bmw's but its definitely enough to cut someone off if needed. My butt dyno says the gle does 0-60 in the 5 second rage with the launch control while in the rx its embarrassing, 8 seconds? like common the f badge is pathetic compared to the competition.
Old 08-15-20, 02:14 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

I wouldn’t buy a NX the design is old and I don’t want to wait for the redesign. Looking for something in the next 6 mos.

I was looking at the new 2021 Mercedes GLA redesigned into a proper SUV size, the mbux augmented reality navi is pretty cool nice layout inside with 2 super large screens for speedo and entertainment. However the size is way too small, it sits a little higher but it’s an illusion when you open the back door look down and see the floor sits about 3 inches down, weird. The exterior design is boring.

I like the 2020 GLC I’ve not driven one but looks like it’s a nice SUV more on the luxury side. I wonder if the GLC ride is more engaging than the RX? The Mercedes and BMW seem to have more updated tech.

I don’t want a truck but a nice SUV that combines luxury and sport engaging to drive with updated tech inside. Since I haven’t bought a car in 10 yrs I want all the newest tech and prefer to stay with one of the major luxury brands.
Old 08-15-20, 03:47 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

I wouldn’t buy a NX the design is old and I don’t want to wait for the redesign. Looking for something in the next 6 mos.

I was looking at the new 2021 Mercedes GLA redesigned into a proper SUV size, the mbux augmented reality navi is pretty cool nice layout inside with 2 super large screens for speedo and entertainment. However the size is way too small, it sits a little higher but it’s an illusion when you open the back door look down and see the floor sits about 3 inches down, weird. The exterior design is boring.

I like the 2020 GLC I’ve not driven one but looks like it’s a nice SUV more on the luxury side. I wonder if the GLC ride is more engaging than the RX? The Mercedes and BMW seem to have more updated tech.

I don’t want a truck but a nice SUV that combines luxury and sport engaging to drive with updated tech inside. Since I haven’t bought a car in 10 yrs I want all the newest tech and prefer to stay with one of the major luxury brands.
Its kinda hard to explain, the drive on a gle is like a nibble g wagon if that makes sense? Like when you drive a g wagon its quite boxy and you feel the foot print of the car, so you want to cruise more than drive sporty, a type of car to pull up slowly to lights and take off fast. Not so much for corners but totally able, the sensation where you feel the weight of the car and know you shouldnt take a corner this fast but you do anyways and it drives a clean line without any fuss. The couple of times I tried to corner fast in the rx, it was pitiful, but then again I'm used to actual "sports" cars without trash tires, the oem bridgestone ecopia's belong on the hybrids such as the 450. Not on a fully gas model f sport.. Cant even take a right lane merge on a city street to freeway going 40 mph in the rx without the tires screeching, crying there at their limit. For reference Ive taken that same turn in s2000's, sti's, bmw's, evo's, frs's/brz's, going 70 without a issue lol. I would just test drive whatever your interested in and see if you like it, the gle definitely has the tech but is more of a "boss" car, not really a car to throw around in corners.

Edit: But Ive never drove a GLC just my friends GLE which to me looks like the same car but just a bit bigger so the GLC should be a bit more nibble.

Last edited by dannnn; 08-15-20 at 04:00 PM.