RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Someone keyed our car this morning :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-19, 11:47 AM
RX18dv
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Someone keyed our car this morning :(

We found out this morning someone keyed our RX this morning and it is heart wrenching...

Anyone on here has any suggestions on fixing this or making this better? The scratch is deep through the clear coat. I will add a better close up pic later. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by RX18dv; 07-07-19 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 12:23 PM
RX18dv
Driver School Candidate

Here is the better picture

Old 07-07-19, 12:49 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

It doesn't look too bad in the picture. I'd take it to a body shop and see what they can do.
As far as the ladies at your door, is it possible they walked close to your car and a purse or pocketbook inadvertently scratched it?
Old 07-07-19, 01:09 PM
RX18dv
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by ravenuer
It doesn't look too bad in the picture. I'd take it to a body shop and see what they can do.
As far as the ladies at your door, is it possible they walked close to your car and a purse or pocketbook inadvertently scratched it?
It through the clear coat and in the Z shape. Certainly done with purpose. It is hard to believe that regular walk-by scratch can do this deep of a scratch... The main concern is that we plan to keep the car for long time. Idk if missing the clear coat on the scratch would affect the paint of the car as a whole in the long term. Perhaps have the body shop apply a thin coat to the scratched surface? or can us possibly done this by ourselves?
Old 07-07-19, 06:05 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

I'm pretty sure a body shop will know just what to do to fix this.
Old 07-07-19, 06:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

That doesnt look like a deliberate key mark to me...

Just for grins, hit it with some Meguiars Scratch X and see what that does....it almost looks like paint transfer
Old 07-07-19, 08:17 PM
RX18dv
Driver School Candidate

Here are better pictures after cleaned it up a bit.

Old 07-07-19, 08:45 PM
58Gemni
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That doesnt look like a deliberate key mark to me...
I agree, way to perfect lines for a key. Similar to a door scrape I had on a previous car, it was from a truck no less.
Old 07-07-19, 09:47 PM
Sephichi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone "keyed" your car they didn't do a very good job. My cousin's car was keyed and you KNEW IT. This looks like a metal buckle or latch smacked it. Not a bad scratch honestly. Wont cost much and if you have comprehensive insurance which i'm guessing you do, it might not cost you anything at all. (50$ deductible?)
Old 07-07-19, 10:05 PM
RX18dv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sephichi
If someone "keyed" your car they didn't do a very good job. My cousin's car was keyed and you KNEW IT. This looks like a metal buckle or latch smacked it. Not a bad scratch honestly. Wont cost much and if you have comprehensive insurance which i'm guessing you do, it might not cost you anything at all. (50$ deductible?)
While it is suck to have this, I'd still rather have this small deep scratch than a long one across the door panel. Currently reaching out to a body-shop to see what they can do. We do have comprehensive insurance but it was $250 deductible. Think this won't cost that much so we'd rather pay out of pocket. Honestly, it is a mystery what caused this mark but I'm still certain it is done by purpose.
Old 07-07-19, 10:33 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

where on the car is the scratch exactly? looks like parking lot damage. like a door being opened into it.
The following users liked this post:
SoCalRX (07-08-19)
Old 07-07-19, 11:22 PM
RX18dv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mspearl95
where on the car is the scratch exactly? looks like parking lot damage. like a door being opened into it.
Passenger side rear door panel. Yesterday, Saturday, when I washed the car, I did not see that there. Which I concluded 1) either I didnt noticed (which is unlikely) and this could happened at anytime before 2) someone who did this this very morning right before we heading to Costco, which is likely because there was 2 ladies (most likely religious solicitation) came by our home but we didnt noticed after checking back the security camera. Oh well, all up in the air so I don't even know anymore.
Old 07-08-19, 05:26 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

I had the same thing and just rubbed it out with rubbing compound. Rubbing compound is very powerful. Body shops use it all the time on scratches.
Old 07-08-19, 09:02 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 201 Likes on 133 Posts

I agree I don’t think was a deliberate key job. Body shops can fill that in pretty easily, it’s a small scratch. Back when I was a kid I had financed a brand new 2007 Camry SE with the OEM body kit, beautiful rich metallic dark blue paint second SE that the dealer had gotten (first the in-house detailed bought). Second day that i drove it after a full hand glaze job. I go to bestbuy to pickup a cd park all the way in the back some ******* keyed my car from headlight to taillight in a big swoopy curve up and down the entire side. Luckily probably becauce of the wax the key glided over taking out just the clear coat and leaving the base paint intact. I was able to compound it myself by hand it was only visible at a certain angle in direct sunlight. If I used a power buffer it would of probably been good as new. But the point is when ppl are being jerks u get a walk and drag like they did to me or a big quick slash not a tiny 1/2” quick z mark.
Old 07-08-19, 09:06 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

That looks to be someone who opened their door onto your RX (first leg of the "Z") and then entered their vehicle, hence the downward leg of the "Z" shape from their vehicle settling owed to their weight as they enter their seat, and then pulled their door away from your vehicle to close it the final leg of the "Z".
The following 2 users liked this post by SoCalRX:
mossytrees (08-01-19), mspearl95 (07-08-19)

Quick Reply: Someone keyed our car this morning :(