RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

What makes the RX feel like its floating?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 08:53 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts
Default What makes the RX feel like its floating?

You know the usual Lexus feel that the old school LS has, like your riding on a cloud. I feel it a lot in the RX. It isolates you from the road. You don’t feel the wheels moving or the ground, almost feels like your floating, unless I’m on a bumpy road (I have the f sport). I’m just curious, does anyone know what about Lexus (mechanically) gives it that floating feel? I only notice this with Lexus, not german cars, even 7 series bmw doesn’t feel like your floating. It’s more planted to the road but still smooth. Some people hate the floating feeling and say they feel disconnected from the road, but I actually enjoy it.
Old 06-20-19, 02:27 PM
kmare
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Try a 3rd gen -- literally would arrive at destination feeling like you just landed in a plane. 4th gen is a lot firmer and connected
Old 06-20-19, 02:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
You know the usual Lexus feel that the old school LS has, like your riding on a cloud. I feel it a lot in the RX. It isolates you from the road. You don’t feel the wheels moving or the ground, almost feels like your floating, unless I’m on a bumpy road (I have the f sport). I’m just curious, does anyone know what about Lexus (mechanically) gives it that floating feel? I only notice this with Lexus, not german cars, even 7 series bmw doesn’t feel like your floating. It’s more planted to the road but still smooth. Some people hate the floating feeling and say they feel disconnected from the road, but I actually enjoy it.
1) Unibody
2) Choice of wheels and tire combo
3) The chassis is based on the now deprecated old K platform. This is the single by far biggest contributor. I wont list the details but compare say an X5 and then this. You`ll see what I mean. The 5th gen will ride differently, and if you want a preview, sit in a 2020 highlander when they are available.
Old 06-20-19, 02:43 PM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tuned springs and tuned dampers. softer springs give a more floating ride.
Old 06-21-19, 06:38 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by coolsaber
1) Unibody
2) Choice of wheels and tire combo
3) The chassis is based on the now deprecated old K platform. This is the single by far biggest contributor. I wont list the details but compare say an X5 and then this. You`ll see what I mean. The 5th gen will ride differently, and if you want a preview, sit in a 2020 highlander when they are available.
how does the chassis affect the floating feel that isolates you from the road? Also, the tires and wheels definitely aren’t the factor because I have the f sport. Only 55 profile tires, Mercedes GLC has similar tire sizes but you feel the road in that car. Hmm 5th gen RX, can’t wait to see how it looks and drives. That’s gonna kill the resale value of the 4th gen. Is the 5th gen 2021?

Originally Posted by bionictony
tuned springs and tuned dampers. softer springs give a more floating ride.
But what about if it’s an f sport? Definitely can’t be the softer springs, this car has a stiff ride but at the same time you don’t feel the road on smooth roads
Old 06-21-19, 01:59 PM
JetFighter
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

A thicker rear sway bar (stablizer bar) will make your car more connected to the road (reduce the float).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-roll_bar

Stiffening the chassis will also improve the drive:

http://ultraracing.my/ecatalog/index...350-al20-2016/
Old 06-21-19, 08:15 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

It's a massively complex combination of chassis, suspension, dampers, weight distribution, wheels, tires - Lexus tune their vehicles to be more on the softer side, the Germans tend to go the firmer route. Even simple things like tires pressures can have quite a difference to the ride/handling compromise. And remember that's all it is, a compromise between firm good handling with less float or softer ride and more body roll, poorer handling. Yes the LS was great, a big car helps with a wheelbase that's large, a lot of weight can tend to smooth out the ride, remember the LS was a billion dollar car, years of research with stacks of dollars thrown at it.
Old 06-24-19, 02:27 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I've got a 2007 LS460L and a 2016 RX450h. There is a noticeable difference in their performance and drive. The LS control arms employ that complex geometry in the suspension that is suppose to find a balance between luxury/performance. When I jump in my wife's RX, I do get the "floating" experience you're talking of until I encounter a road impediment, and then it feels rough to me. My LS was developing a vibration and more road "feel", when I realized the control arms were worn and needed to be replaced. A problem that plagues LS owners and who have indicated is the blemish of the product line, seeing how they need to be changed about 25K to 50K depending on who you're talking to.

My wife loves to be driven in my LS, but would rather drive her RX. She says the LS is too much power to control and her RX feels zippy. I know these are technical terms that may confuse the average bachelor, but you 35+ year married guys out there will understand the jargon.
Old 06-28-19, 06:26 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tlutrick
I've got a 2007 LS460L and a 2016 RX450h. There is a noticeable difference in their performance and drive. The LS control arms employ that complex geometry in the suspension that is suppose to find a balance between luxury/performance. When I jump in my wife's RX, I do get the "floating" experience you're talking of until I encounter a road impediment, and then it feels rough to me. My LS was developing a vibration and more road "feel", when I realized the control arms were worn and needed to be replaced. A problem that plagues LS owners and who have indicated is the blemish of the product line, seeing how they need to be changed about 25K to 50K depending on who you're talking to.

My wife loves to be driven in my LS, but would rather drive her RX. She says the LS is too much power to control and her RX feels zippy. I know these are technical terms that may confuse the average bachelor, but you 35+ year married guys out there will understand the jargon.
Lol you can’t compare the LS, the suspension is 100 times better. The car is almost double the price. Does yours have air suspension? The 5th gen RX will have the new TGNA chassis and that will be the game changer. That chassis soaks up bumps like it’s nothing