RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Who's Upgrading to the new 2020 RX (& who isn't)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-19, 06:59 AM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Strongly considering upgrading over here. Still waiting for detailed specs though…

The main thing for me would be the updated safety systems, especially the LTA and the follow mode as well.
Also, the updated navigation is a big thing - faster, smarter (don't care about CarPlay whole lot, and not even sure if it'll be available in Japan… again).
In addition, I wanted to try a new color. The "noble brown" interior is fine, but I really gravitate to lighter interior colors (which my 3rd gen was…)

Sure, 5gen is going to be a blast, but new tech is really something I not only want, but also need, as I travel long distances, at night often, and LTA should be a HUGE help there…

My dealer should have detailed specs probably in next couple of weeks… looking forward to getting more info on the available configs and options.
Old 06-11-19, 11:30 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Last one of the line to receive Apple CarPlay.

BUT the first to get Android Auto!
Old 06-11-19, 11:31 AM
jstagn
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any idea when 2020 will be available?
Old 06-11-19, 11:32 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jstagn
Any idea when 2020 will be available?
End of the year, but my guess is November.
Old 06-12-19, 07:15 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

I would have to see it in person.
Although CarPlay and Android Auto is nice and definitely something to look for when buying a new car, I'm not going to get raped on trade in just for that.
Old 06-12-19, 01:51 PM
ViMat
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

In one of the videos on the Youtube some manager from Canadian plant said that "mass production of 2020 will begin late summer". I am guessing ordering will be available in August, first delivery some time in September.
Old 06-14-19, 12:31 AM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My dealer told me they'll have new RX on display starting August 29… Not really sure where such a specific date is coming from, but they were pretty sure of it.
So orders will definitely start in August…

Deliveries are actually expected in October, at least in Japan. This is related to the increase of the consumption tax effective Oct 1st (so I guess Lexus wants everyone to pay the same amount of money?… rather than 8% tax for folks getting deliveries in September, and 10% for folks with deliveries in October…)

Since US/Canada are not really affected by this kind of stuff, you guys can actually get deliveries sooner than Japan this time
Old 06-14-19, 06:37 PM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are WAY over-hyped. I won't even pay the $500 to get it aftermarket. Certainly wouldn't take the hit on trade-in to get it. $200 is about the limit I would pay for it, from the factory or aftermarket.

And unfortunately, the new model comes with the touch pad. I've used it this week on a 2019 ES rental, and it's a step backwards from the joystick. But I really did like the ES overall.
Old 06-15-19, 12:37 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are WAY over-hyped. I won't even pay the $500 to get it aftermarket. Certainly wouldn't take the hit on trade-in to get it. $200 is about the limit I would pay for it, from the factory or aftermarket.

And unfortunately, the new model comes with the touch pad. I've used it this week on a 2019 ES rental, and it's a step backwards from the joystick. But I really did like the ES overall.
I have both an RX and the new ES. Surpirsed you feel the pad is a step backwards. To me, its light years ahead of the joystick.
Old 06-15-19, 12:55 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I have both an RX and the new ES. Surpirsed you feel the pad is a step backwards. To me, its light years ahead of the joystick.
I agree. The earlier versions of the touchpad seemed very problematic to me, but I was impressed by how well the one in the 19 ES worked.
Old 06-15-19, 12:59 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Not us, the only thing I want to know is if the new grill can be swapped to the pre refreshed 4RX. Also, is dynamic taillights now standard? I need to mod ours.
Old 06-17-19, 09:42 AM
eldragun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the Carplay be Wireless?
Old 06-17-19, 10:55 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Anything groundbreaking in safety? I haven't seen anything that I remember. The rest of the updates are just fluff.
It can't be long until most automakers will offer a mainstream electric vehicle. That's what I'm holding out for. I don't drive much, so I don't even care about the gas savings. I just want the handling and safety improvents. With the battery packs placed across the bottom of the floor, you get a heavy, solid car that also handles superbly. And without an engine, the entire front end can be built for safety. Why do u think Volvo claims they will have no deaths or severe injuries In their cars by 2020?... Because they will be switching to electric vehicles only at that time. Forget about the gas savings, I feel like the advantages of an electric platform are tremendous in terms of handling and safety, so I'm saving my money for that.
Old 06-17-19, 12:13 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

After Lexus has refused to do anything about the prior roof damage on my CPO RX I'd never give them (Toyota/Lexus) another cent of my money. That said, the RX is hands down the best fuel economy and reliability SUV I've ever owned and I would have updated if not for their chasing away their own customers.
Old 06-17-19, 12:47 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowmite
After Lexus has refused to do anything about the prior roof damage on my CPO RX I'd never give them (Toyota/Lexus) another cent of my money. That said, the RX is hands down the best fuel economy and reliability SUV I've ever owned and I would have updated if not for their chasing away their own customers.
What happened to your roof?

Quick Reply: Who's Upgrading to the new 2020 RX (& who isn't)