RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

screeching parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 09:07 AM
Daniel2311
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default screeching parking brake

I have a 2017 RX350, 26k miles on it, makes a horrible noise when the parking brake is engaged either manually or via the auto park brake setting.
Austin dealership is claiming it is normal, and there is nothing they can do??

I opened a case with Lexus USA, claim they can not over ride the dealers diagnoses, what?
I've attached a video clip, any suggestions are appreciated.

Dan
Attached Files
File Type: mov
RX_350.mov (4.38 MB, 1018 views)
Old 05-29-19, 11:59 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Not normal at all! Go to another dealer, the one you are using is either lazy or incompetent or both.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cocal:
coolbrazz (07-27-20), mspearl95 (05-29-19)
Old 05-30-19, 06:15 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Whenever you have an obvious problem that the dealer says is normal, just ask to test drive another similar car and see if that car does it. If it doesn't, then they owe you an explanation.
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (07-27-20)
Old 05-30-19, 06:56 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Mine's started doing that a few weeks ago, not as loud and just at the end of the operation - sounds like it's running dry somewhere. Getting serviced in a couple of weeks, will ask then.

Push your dealer though, I can't believe they fob you off like that, Lexus praise themselves on their customer service but seems that is sadly lacking in many dealerships.
Old 06-09-19, 07:03 AM
Daniel2311
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Final verdict: after escalating to Lexus USA, I took it back to the dealer. There was a regional Lexus service tech that was scheduled to look at it (and a few other cars at the dealership).
Initially I received a call stating that there was nothing that could be done. However the next morning I speak to my service advisor who stated they ordered parts for it.

The fix was to replace the left rear caliper and parking brake actuator assembly. The paperwork states " excessive force from the caliper piston has caused parking brake actuator to
over work resulting in excessive noise"
eddie420 (06-09-19)
Old 06-09-19, 07:24 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

So I guess it wasn't normal after all!
Thanks for the update.
Old 07-25-20, 10:59 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the fix (was it the same as what OP had to do)?
Old 07-26-20, 08:10 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, what was the fix (was it the same as what OP had to do)?
Mine does it but not as loud as it appears on the video. From inside the car it's a small screech that's audible but not troublesome. My dealer said it's normal and if you keep your foot on the brake pedal when the electric brakes come on you don't get the noise. It's due to the actuator needing to move further to apply the brakes when you HAVEN'T got your foot on the brake pedal. They said the NX is the same. But like I said my noise wasn't that bad, the one in the video may well have had another problem as might yours if it's bothering you.
Old 07-27-20, 08:59 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Those of us that grew up (or did Not grow up, depending on your point of view!)
used to use the hand brake to commit various automotive choreographic maneuvers.
Hand brake turns, Bootleg direction reversals, drifting FWD cars all are now history
with the advent of the #$%^ electrically actuated "Parking Brake". RIP emergency brake...
bamalam (08-12-20)
Old 07-27-20, 09:37 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
...... all are now history with the advent of the #$%^ electrically actuated "Parking Brake". RIP emergency brake...
Yeah, I'm one of those. However, the old school foot-operated parking brake on my 2015 RX wouldn't even hold the car securely, so I'd much rather have this new electric/automatic system than one that doesn't work for it's intended purpose.
Old 08-12-20, 09:29 AM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Is this a safety issue at all, or an issue that can lead to further damage to the braking system, if left to persist?

Car is out of warranty now and this issue just starting appearing for my 2016 Rx.

If it's simply a nuisance (and not a safety issue and not at risk of further damage to other brake components), I'll forego the cost of fixing this...
Old 08-12-20, 10:13 AM
dibl
Instructor

@arrowroot, try pushing down the brake pedal very firmly, and while it holding it down firmly, put the car in Park. It sounds from @GSFRX350 that the problem is most annoying when there is light or no brake pedal pressure while putting it in Park (i.e. turning on the electric brake).
GSFRX350 (08-12-20)
Old 08-20-20, 09:35 AM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dibl
@arrowroot, try pushing down the brake pedal very firmly, and while it holding it down firmly, put the car in Park. It sounds from @GSFRX350 that the problem is most annoying when there is light or no brake pedal pressure while putting it in Park (i.e. turning on the electric brake).

I tried pushing the brake pedal down (but will have try it again more firmly) - but the screeching sound is still heard.

Do you happen to know if this a safety issue at all, or an issue that can lead to further damage to the braking system, if left to persist? (Or is it simply an annoyance)

I also wonder if this issue is more common when the brake pads start to wear down. I think that my brake pads are at about 30-50% now.
Old 08-20-20, 11:18 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by arrowroot
Do you happen to know if this a safety issue at all, or an issue that can lead to further damage to the braking system, if left to persist? (Or is it simply an annoyance)
It is hard to determine, from what has been posted so far. In post #5, you see on the dealer service report the words "over work" -- that implies to me a deteriorating situation. But of course, automobile rotor and brake pad systems are inherently a deteriorating system over time -- that's why they need serviced and sometimes replaced if you drive the car long and far enough. It looks like at least one dealer was convinced, apparently by Lexus, that at some point the condition needs remediation.
Old 08-20-20, 09:13 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Daniel2311
Final verdict: after escalating to Lexus USA, I took it back to the dealer. There was a regional Lexus service tech that was scheduled to look at it (and a few other cars at the dealership).
Initially I received a call stating that there was nothing that could be done. However the next morning I speak to my service advisor who stated they ordered parts for it.

The fix was to replace the left rear caliper and parking brake actuator assembly. The paperwork states " excessive force from the caliper piston has caused parking brake actuator to
over work resulting in excessive noise"
Would you be willing to post a copy of your work order?

Quick Reply: screeching parking brake