RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

AWD in RX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 08:22 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

If one looks at the power distribution in the square in front of the steering wheel, one sees that power is ALWAYS sent to the rear wheels when starting or accelerating. When no longer accelerating it stops sending power to the rear. The button with the 4WD symbol is there to lock the differential when needed, So far I've never had to use it.
The following users liked this post:
jay90011 (05-12-19)
Old 05-13-19, 06:38 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
Based on other cars explanations and some real world use, in a few situations you want all 4 wheels spinning, just to keep going, rather than have them sense slippage and shift between front and rear. Deep snow and mud are two where you just want to plow through as best you can with all the wheels trying. While not the same, the lock switch gives you the effect of a true manual 4WD, where there is no control of slippage.
Every snow storm we had, I was monitoring the wheel torque graph when moving on deep snow, and the four wheels kept working equally while in the summer the torque moves quickly to the front wheels. So the traction control is doing its work and it does it very well!
The following 3 users liked this post by PeeVee:
Cocal (05-13-19), Primolexus (11-25-21), xxx350L (05-13-19)
Old 05-13-19, 01:29 PM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

My comparison right now is a 2018 Honda Pilot AWD and I will say the Honda AWD is superior. I can floor it and I get tons of grip with no wheel spin. The active torque vectoring is also noticeable in the curves.

With RX it seems like the front wheels easily lose grip even during partial acceleration from a stop...the traction control is constantly flashing even on dry pavement. The display says 50% of the torque is going to the rear tires instantly but it doesn’t stop the front wheels from slipping during initial acceleration.
Old 05-13-19, 01:43 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
My comparison right now is a 2018 Honda Pilot AWD and I will say the Honda AWD is superior. I can floor it and I get tons of grip with no wheel spin. The active torque vectoring is also noticeable in the curves.

With RX it seems like the front wheels easily lose grip even during partial acceleration from a stop...the traction control is constantly flashing even on dry pavement. The display says 50% of the torque is going to the rear tires instantly but it doesn’t stop the front wheels from slipping during initial acceleration.
Maybe it’s the tires or that it’s just a lighter car. Although Lexus is not known for their AWD so I’m not shocked. I definitely don’t lose grip though what RX are you testing and what pavement ?
Old 05-13-19, 03:29 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I have to agree with PWMDMD, the Honda AWD system, with Sand mode, Snow mode etc., is superior to the Lexus. Just go to TFL truck and watch a Ridgeline climb offroad; it works very well despite the junk tires. The Pilot has the same AWD system as the Ridgeline. The Subaru beats them all though, so if you’re in a Subie, no worries because that symmetrical AWD is awesome. I owned a 2005 Forester XT while living in the Lake Tahoe area, and it would go places my F150 4x4 couldn’t go.

Old 05-13-19, 03:59 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by xxx350L
I have to agree with PWMDMD, the Honda AWD system, with Sand mode, Snow mode etc., is superior to the Lexus. Just go to TFL truck and watch a Ridgeline climb offroad; it works very well despite the junk tires. The Pilot has the same AWD system as the Ridgeline. The Subaru beats them all though, so if you’re in a Subie, no worries because that symmetrical AWD is awesome. I owned a 2005 Forester XT while living in the Lake Tahoe area, and it would go places my F150 4x4 couldn’t go.

https://youtu.be/gcqATDtSRi0

Whats up with this why doesn’t everyone just make their AWD system like Subaru. Is it patented or something
Old 05-13-19, 04:07 PM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Maybe it’s the tires or that it’s just a lighter car. Although Lexus is not known for their AWD so I’m not shocked. I definitely don’t lose grip though what RX are you testing and what pavement ?
New 2019 RX350 with 2500 miles on it. I can break the front tires loose 100% of the time on many different paved roads by simply smashing the gas down. If I do a small rollout it’s fine. If I lock the differential it’s fine. The AWD system is just not fast enough to engage the rear tires before they lose grip.

If I do the same thing in the pilot no detectable wheel spin and certainly no traction control intervention.
Old 05-13-19, 04:28 PM
sderman
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

New 2019 RX350 with 2500 miles on it. I can break the front tires loose 100% of the time on many different paved roads by simply smashing the gas down. If I do a small rollout it’s fine. If I lock the differential it’s fine. The AWD system is just not fast enough to engage the rear tires before they lose grip.

If I do the same thing in the pilot no detectable wheel spin and certainly no traction control intervention.
So don't smash the gas down (and problem is solved).
The following 2 users liked this post by sderman:
GSFRX350 (05-13-19), ravenuer (05-13-19)
Old 05-13-19, 04:38 PM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Originally Posted by sderman
So don't smash the gas down (and problem is solved).
I drive it like I stole it! Also, smashing it down means loss of grip 100%. Just 75% throttle means loss of traction 50% of the time.
Old 05-13-19, 05:18 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Default Subie AWD

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Whats up with this why doesn’t everyone just make their AWD system like Subaru. Is it patented or something
A Subaru drives with road gripping authority, it doesn’t wait for slippage in order to apply traction to front or rear.

https://www.subaru-global.com/techno...train_awd.html
Old 05-13-19, 05:36 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

I drive it like I stole it! Also, smashing it down means loss of grip 100%. Just 75% throttle means loss of traction 50% of the time.
Wow, I've never been like - have to much respect for my machinery. Ever heard of "mechanical sympathy", tyres, brakes, gas plus all the moving parts in a car are stressed more when driven hard - costly and detrimental to the longevity of the vehicle. But that's me.
Old 05-13-19, 06:00 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

You and I drive alike, so, just for the fun of it, go test drive a 2019 BMW X3 M40i. It will put a smile on your face, and beg for full throttle in the sport plus mode. This Bimmer is very quick. I owned an ‘18 X3 M40i, and it was an absolute blast to drive. Bought the Lexus to make the wife happy, but, if the stars align right, I’ll be in another X3 M40i.
Old 05-14-19, 07:00 AM
Cocal
Racer

Your problem is TIRES not the AWD system.
Old 05-14-19, 07:06 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by xxx350L
A Subaru drives with road gripping authority, it doesn’t wait for slippage in order to apply traction to front or rear.
That's the problem with Honda, but not with Lexus, it doesn't wait for slippage to turn on AWD. It will wait for slippage though, to cut-off or give power to a given wheel.
Old 05-14-19, 08:13 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Wow, I've never been like - have to much respect for my machinery. Ever heard of "mechanical sympathy", tyres, brakes, gas plus all the moving parts in a car are stressed more when driven hard - costly and detrimental to the longevity of the vehicle. But that's me.
It’s a freaking car and a terrible depreciating asset by nature. Drive it whichever way you’d like but I never keep a car long enough to care. I’m on car #8 in the past 12 years - can you guess how many have succumbed to my disrespectful driving habits before selling them in the green? Zero!

At 35K miles and 3 or 4 years no one will be able tell if this car was babied or driven hard so my attitude is have fun while you own it!

Last edited by PWMDMD; 05-14-19 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: AWD in RX?