RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Roof Splitting/Cracking at the antenna??!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 10:29 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Roof Splitting/Cracking at the antenna??!!

Anyone else seen anything like this? I have no idea what could have caused this. I'm really hoping Lexus will consider this warranty work as I'm pretty sure I couldn't have caused a split like this. It's literally splitting open and looks to be bulging up around the antenna a little. Anyone have input?
Old 04-27-19, 10:35 AM
heffnerlex
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks to be an impact point on the antenna. Guessing someone ran into the garage door while it was opening/closing? I can't see a Lexus roof just cracking like that without some sort of physical impact. Have you taken it to the dealership yet?
Old 04-27-19, 10:49 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by heffnerlex
Looks to be an impact point on the antenna. Guessing someone ran into the garage door while it was opening/closing? I can't see a Lexus roof just cracking like that without some sort of physical impact. Have you taken it to the dealership yet?
I'd agree with you. Can't see the top of the antenna, but I wonder if there's any scratches etc at the top of it? Can't see it in the pic.
Old 04-27-19, 11:11 AM
heffnerlex
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
I'd agree with you. Can't see the top of the antenna, but I wonder if there's any scratches etc at the top of it? Can't see it in the pic.
At the very base of the antenna it appears to be scratched, although not sure if it is just reflection of lighting or something else.
Old 04-27-19, 02:42 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

That’s odd I mean the roof is sheet metal, metals not supposed to crack like that. Even if it’s just the paint cracking on top of the metal that’s not very common either with no other visible damage. If he would of hit the garage door hard enough I’m suspecting the plastic antenna would of been severely damaged and the roof would show a dent where the antenna pushed down on it. This thing cracked clean almost like body filler would of cracked. If your antenna is damaged you might want to address that before you take it to the dealer, just saying.
Old 04-27-19, 02:58 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Friend of mine had his garage door come down while backing out. The impact ripped the antenna completely off his Mercedes, and dented the roof. No split metal, but expensive repair. 5K.
Old 04-27-19, 03:55 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Thats exactly the carnage i would expect from a garage door impact. Sheet metal doesn’t split and I’ve seen on crappy auto repair where the bondo separates
lifts up from the metal and the paint splits but you can usually see the paint and filler bubbled up before the paint splits and I’m talking about very crappy bodywork not factory paintwork over never molested metal.

Originally Posted by xxx350L
Friend of mine had his garage door come down while backing out. The impact ripped the antenna completely off his Mercedes, and dented the roof. No split metal, but expensive repair. 5K.
Old 04-27-19, 09:50 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you sure it's not just the paint cracks for whatever reason? The sheet metal should still intact.
Old 04-28-19, 05:50 AM
Tmymck
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I seem to remember someone on NX forum hit his garage door and damaged the roof like this. Sucks for sure
Old 04-28-19, 06:29 AM
RCjets
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Could be damage from shipping on the lower level of a transport trailer. Your RX may have been loaded on the lower deck hitting an upper deck cross beam driving onto it or may have bounced itself against the upper deck during transport. I've seen roof damage on other cars from idiots loading them on double deck trailers. Dealer should have caught it on delivery inspection, but that's only if the person doing the inspection actually put forth the effort to climb up and check the roof. Your other concern now is how much water has got into the headliner material that may result in a mold situation later.
Old 04-29-19, 09:20 AM
shadowmite
Driver

I haven't taken it in yet, I plan to make an appointment later this week or early next week. It certainly seems to be a crack/split in the roof material. No damage to the antenna top and I've certainly never hit anything with it. One horrible possibility someone mentioned is that the dealer covered up hail damage and this is the bondo cracking. Regardless they sold it to me as a CPO so I should be under warranty. Imagine the ****show from Lexus if they did that and cpo'd it! The carfax was clean. Bought last year, it's a 2016.
Old 05-06-19, 09:49 AM
shadowmite
Driver

I have an appointment next week to take it in and find out if they'll warranty it.
Old 05-06-19, 12:12 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

Carfax shows accidents that involved insurance payments and/or Police reports. When my wife raced and lost
to the closing garage door and pranged her sharkfin antenna it also rumpled the roof a bit. Paid a body shop
cash to drop the headliner and straighten the sheet metal. Bought a new antenna and they wired it up. Never
was a report, didn't trigger a Carfax alert. That crack looks more like a skim coat or body filler, painted sheet
metal would not normally separate that way. The CPO inspection does not included waving a magnet over
all the body surfaces. I would be pleased but surprised if the dealer takes on any responsibility for this one.
Old 05-06-19, 06:14 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

They deffinetly used a paint thickness gauge, if they choose to disclose there findings now that’s a different story.

Originally Posted by mcomer
The CPO inspection does not included waving a magnet over
all the body surfaces. I would be pleased but surprised if the dealer takes on any responsibility for this one.
Old 05-07-19, 09:24 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
That crack looks more like a skim coat or body filler, painted sheet
metal would not normally separate that way.
That's what it is and the paint of the roof panel is not factory as it's too dull and has tighter orange peel. Most likely the person reinstalling the antenna tightened it too much and during a temperature fluctuation the panel and filler gave way from the compression of the antenna fasteners. It might not have given way when he purchased the vehicle, but could have done so afterwards.

CARFAX only records what it can access or what has been fed into it. Dealers, collision shops, and others in the automotive field are notorious for skirting around it.

Quick Reply: Roof Splitting/Cracking at the antenna??!!