RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Roof Splitting/Cracking at the antenna??!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 09:26 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea, and the corp guys I talked to seemed apologetic but kept re-iterating to me that CPO is not a corporate level thing and that the dealership gets final say on if something is covered by it. So the whole "like new" condition is crap and not honored (at least in my case). If I took them to court I'm sure I could win. But my out of pocket is a bit over $1k as-is and the lawyers would make a lot more than that. Just really turns me away from buying from them again.Certainly teaches me not to trust a CPO to mean anything!
Old 06-19-19, 11:27 AM
Oldernu
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Please Do Us A Favor

Please name the dealership who sold you the car without disclosing the hail damage to the roof. If the dealer repaired the damage but did not disclose it in the CPO repair records,, they committed fraud. If they didn't discover it, they're just negligent in performing their 163 point inspection, upon which you reasonably relied. Either way, your fellow forum posters would like to avoid doing business with that dealer.
The following 4 users liked this post by Oldernu:
gregjhonda (06-20-19), jsb16 (06-19-19), mspearl95 (06-19-19), shadowmite (06-20-19)
Old 06-19-19, 12:48 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If the damage really was hail, I would consider examining the rest of the car, specifically the hood. You can buy a paint thickness gauge off Amazon for about $50. Or take it back to the place you had it repaired at and have them take a look. I just wonder if there might be more?
The following users liked this post:
shadowmite (06-20-19)
Old 06-19-19, 05:21 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldernu
Please name the dealership who sold you the car without disclosing the hail damage to the roof. If the dealer repaired the damage but did not disclose it in the CPO repair records,, they committed fraud. If they didn't discover it, they're just negligent in performing their 163 point inspection, upon which you reasonably relied. Either way, your fellow forum posters would like to avoid doing business with that dealer.
yes please let everyone know what dealer it is! Definitely important to warn people from shopping there.
Old 06-20-19, 07:00 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Stevenson Lexus of Lakewood (Denver, CO area) is who sold me the car. They tell me it first was "CPO" inspected at the Stevenson Lexus of Frederick location (sister store) and then was moved to Lakewood where it again was inspected and certified. At least that's the story they gave me and corporate.

And yea, I've certainly realized there is likely more repaired damage that simply hasn't yet become an issue. Everytime I look at the car and see a slightly different level of reflectivity etc I fear the worst. I have hope the damage I found here will be it and it's now properly repaired. But I certainly do also debate trading it away before the next surprise comes to haunt me. At the same time I'd hate to give this mess to some other unsuspecting person.

-----
Edit:

Just to add, based on your reasoning to call them out, I realized a Google review might be a good extra way to disclose this. It *appears* the owner actively responds to and fix's issues. Perhaps that will help get this resolved a little better for me and/or future customers.

Last edited by shadowmite; 06-20-19 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 07:39 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Do you have a copy of the carfax the dealer provided at point of sale showing no repairs or damage? Might have better luck following that path where the dealer provided you with documentation that there had been no damage/repairs.

Have you gone to the Lexus owner's site and looked at the detailed service history yourself?
Old 06-20-19, 07:49 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Yes, Carfax's guarantee is that no damage was *reported*; if they missed something *reported* then it would apply. But otherwise it means less than the CPO I'd think. But yea, generally speaking a clean Carfax + CPO made me pretty comfortable about it when the reality was otherwise. Service history is nicely reported for the most part, no indications of issues like this.
Old 06-20-19, 10:01 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry, didn't mean to make u feel worse. I just brought up checking the rest of the car because I was thinking about their 3 panel max repaint rule... If you found four...? I don't know if they'd honor that anyways though.
It's upsetting that it seems Lexus hides behind their dealers every chance they get. That's exactly what I got when I called about a problem I had. The girl on the phone kept saying, "ohh I'm so sorry, but our dealers are independent, we don't have anything to do with them."
Old 06-20-19, 02:40 PM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my cheap way of checking for bondo would be those paper thin refrigerator magnets. check your rx with refrigerator magnets. if the magnet does not stick then there's bondo.
Old 06-20-19, 03:42 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow, Lexus sinking to new lows! How high up did you push with corporate? I once emailed an issue to Lexus corporate and got a canned response that, while they sympathize with me, nothing could be done. I responded to that email saying that wasn't a satisfactory response. Got a call the next day, again with the same outcome, and kept asking for someone higher up. I ended up speaking to five different people across a variety of offices. The final person I spoke with was in an executive role, and while the outcome still remained the same for me, I was happy that Lexus took the time to listen and document my concern.
The following users liked this post:
gregjhonda (06-20-19)