RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Roof Splitting/Cracking at the antenna??!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 11:46 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sadly I cannot say for sure when it happened; while I'm pretty good and knowing every scratch and blemish on my cars, the roof is pretty hard to examine on a routine basis. I'll hope for positive outcome dealing with my dealer. It's been under a year since I bought it and while the bumper to bumper factory warranty ended in December I believe the CPO added 2 years to that. Of course they may or may not have known the roof had issues. All I can do is hope they are honorable and keep me as a Lexus customer.
Old 05-07-19, 11:49 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Slightly different view... Sorry it's dirty, I don't want to wash it and get more water down in the damage until I know it's not making things worse.
Old 05-07-19, 12:47 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree with SoCalRX; that crack is typical of body filler. I’ve restored 60’s muscle cars, and I just shopped for a 68/69 Roadrunner this past weekend at a car show,. The only Roadrunner there had the same crack on top of the rear quarter panel; without a doubt, plastic filler. The owner was nearby, so I didn’t want to run my magnet over the panel, but it obviously had past body damage. If your dealer has a digital paint depth gauge, I would bet that the thickness in that area is about 3 mil or more. Factory paint is not that thick. It also appears that the edges of the crack are curling up just slightly. I hope they treat you right.
Old 05-15-19, 08:14 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Just as an update; they said exactly what you all indicated here. Essentially declaring I must have caused the issue and refused to have anything to do with it. The salesguy took it a little further and acknowledged the damage might have happened before they sold it to me but that the CPO paint tests only care that no more than 3 panels have repair work and don't cover faults in that repair work.

So here I am with a CPO Lexus I've owned under a year with a literal hole in the roof through no fault of my own which Lexus doesn't care about.

I'll deal with it out of pocket and simply remember this in the future about the brand. Ironically I had been trying to talk my wife into a new RX also but no more!
Old 05-15-19, 10:36 AM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

MONDAY–FRIDAY, 8 AM–8 PM, ET
SATURDAY, 9 AM–6 PM, ET
1-800-255-3987
I suggest you call and discuss with Lexus Customer Service at above #

FRIDThe certification process includes but is not limited to the following parameters:
-Lexus vehicle is less than six (6) year of age

-Lexus vehicle has less than 70,000 miles

-Lexus vehicle passes the 161-Point Inspection

-Lexus vehicle has a upstanding CARFAX® history report

-Lexus vehicle must be in "like-new" condition
AY, 8 AM–8 PM, ET
Old 05-15-19, 02:42 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

^^ THIS

Call and be friendly, but firm.
Old 06-17-19, 12:59 PM
shadowmite
Driver

I've spent quite a while working with them. Corp claims the dealer gets the final say and that their decision to do nothing for me is final.

Fixed it out of pocket, I've considered trading it in in to be rid of the brand. But sadly I like the car. Really sucks. I'll give myself a month or two to think it over before acting. Just for good measure I dropped the story over to Fox Problem Solvers hoping maybe they'll want to make this more public to force Lexus's hand.

Last edited by shadowmite; 06-17-19 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-17-19, 02:07 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Post your issues on Official Lexus Forums-Facebook, etc., whatever they have. May help in the long run. Just can't see the dealership denies the repair.
Old 06-18-19, 08:31 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry to read of your outcome. At the Lexus dealership where we purchased our RX I happened to be there very early one morning when they were going over their lease returns and used automobiles. An individual was taking a marker and highlighting all the exterior flaws right down to the most minute detail. I struck-up a conversation with the person and ask what they were doing and was told it was means of deciding which vehicles to keep and which to send off to auction. Did the salesperson whom sold you the vehicle know of the preexisting damage? Maybe not, but someone did before your RX was placed on the lot for sale.

I would contact Toyota/Lexus, in Japan—directly. Most Japanese in corporate environments understand and write English. You might be encountering the runaround here in the States, but the reality is that any Toyota/Lexus position in the States is always under the authority of the Japan headquarters and they truly have the final say in all matters. The Japanese are very detailed oriented and once you contact them, it will be placed in the system and reviewed by someone.
Old 06-18-19, 09:17 AM
shadowmite
Driver

The sales guy claims they did not know, but that even if they did it wouldn't have mattered as the CPO rule is no more than 3 body panels can be repaired. No issues with an entire roof. The only way to catch this would have been a paint depth meter which I'll invest in if I ever decide to buy used again. The yellow here is the "pre-existing" body filler at a CRAZY depth (1/4 to 1/2" in some places). As you can see even after expanding the damage repair area to almost the entire panel the bondo still stretches out in all directions! The "crack" extended all the way to the sheet metal which was rusting due to previous improper repairs! Oh, and bondo over paint! CPO! Go Lexus...
Old 06-18-19, 09:48 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

To me, the orange peel looked incorrect and sprayed differently than factory Lexus paint (I worked in auto collision during high school and beginning of college summer breaks as I had an affinity for cars). Unbelievable that they would mud over existing paint. And yes, the body filler depths are far beyond acceptable standards. I'm glad you found it when you did as future damage would have proven to be much more.
Old 06-18-19, 05:42 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 201 Likes on 133 Posts

I find it hard to believe the dealer didn’t notice this. I was trading in my 2007 ES and they used that little paint thickness meter literally about every 6” they used it under the doors on the jams on the hood everywhere. And this was on a car they offered me $4000 for that no doubt they would of sent right to the auction.
The following users liked this post:
mspearl95 (06-18-19)
Old 06-18-19, 11:04 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

That's not a proper repair. Rust underneath, etc... Contact Lexus corporate again, send them the photos, and explain what you found. That's not right, and it's obvious now that you didn't just do that damage.
Old 06-19-19, 07:43 AM
lexusfan05
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others said, contact corporate with the pics and just tell them that you will post the pics on lexus social media pages along with the dealer's name and dealer's and corporate responses to this fiasco. If they still ignore, just do it. Believe me, lexus will not want this on their social media page. If nothing works, give it to a local news channel - their investigative reporter should look into this. A lexus dealer should never behave like this.
Old 06-19-19, 08:48 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Wow that’s super shabby- I could see this happening at a greasy car lot, but a a Lexus dealer? As someone else posted somewhere, Lexus really needs to weed out all these shady Lexus dealers.

Quick Reply: Roof Splitting/Cracking at the antenna??!!