RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX30L - Driver Seat leather quality issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-19, 10:01 AM
sejijohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RX30L - Driver Seat leather quality issue

Hello Experts,

I am facing this issue within 7 months of ownership of RX350L premium model. The leather seat from driver seat is peeling off. Right now its small but I think this will increase as my vehicle will age. I have shared my concerns to dealerships and even escalated to Lexus. They are saying normal wear and tear. Is this normal in Lexus?
I have never faced these kind of issues in other vehicles.

Last edited by sejijohn; 04-18-19 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-18-19, 11:29 AM
garylbarr
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Contrary to popular belief the leather in RX 350 and other Lexus models is really not that good, I know from my previous ownership experiences, I have owned 3 different models over the years.
The following users liked this post:
sejijohn (04-19-19)
Old 04-18-19, 12:43 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Sejijohn, I had similar issue with driver seat but Lexus replaced the cover for me, see https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-tearing.html post pictures.
sejijohn (04-19-19)
Old 04-18-19, 12:51 PM
sejijohn
Rookie

Thanks rx300mm for the update. I followed with delarship and Lexus and they are saying its normal wear and tear. I will follow up with them again as I dont think its a normar wear and tear issue as it just happened within 7 months of ownership.
Old 04-18-19, 03:17 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The doomed normal wear/tear excuse. Technically they can say a lot of things are normal wear/tear. Really depends on the service writer or even sales person that you're working with. Hoping that we get decent service for when we start needing them on our car.
sejijohn (04-19-19)
Old 04-19-19, 07:06 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Not normal wear and tear by any means. I also drive 2007 ES350 and leather seat are in really shape. Agreed Lexus has cut corners in leather quality to be price competitive but your seat wear is not normal leather wear.
Old 04-19-19, 07:46 AM
sejijohn
Rookie

I tried in every way to convince dealership and even sent mutiple emails to Lexus Guest experience regarding this issue. This issue was first noticed on November 2018 (roughly 7 months after purchase) and I staright away went to Woodland Hills Lexus dealership. They took images and asked me to get back on my second service. During my second service (Jan 2019) I again brought up this issue and they told me they will look into it. After mutiple follow ups when I did not hear from them, I had to send an email to Lexus guest experience informing them about my ordeal. They again asked me to visit the dealership to which I agreed (April 2019). But this time the dealership bluntly told me that its normal wear and tear and this issue will not be covered under warranty. The Lexus guest experience also closed this issue saying whatever dealership is deciding is the final and there is no other way to escalate.
I am just wondering if this was a normal wear and tear issue then they could have mentioned in first day itself. Why I had to find time and make 3 visits in order to get to this conclusion? I just lost faith in the brand. They will never listen or act upon on what a customer want to say. For them it's the decision from someone in the dealership is final.

This is my first venture into a luxury brand as I thought my aftersales service will be great. But unfortunately thats not my case. One thing I learnt, whatever be the brand, they just want your money
I thought of keeping this vehicle for a long time but right now I am having second thoughts...

Just one question, is there any other way to escalate futher apart from sending emails to Lexus Guest or calling customer service?

Thanks again for all your response...
Old 04-19-19, 07:49 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I wonder if you're able to @lexus on twitter and call them out there? maybe their rep there will help escalate the issue for you. Include a pic too.
sejijohn (04-19-19)
Old 04-19-19, 08:09 AM
sejijohn
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2ndName
I wonder if you're able to @lexus on twitter and call them out there? maybe their rep there will help escalate the issue for you. Include a pic too.
I am not active on twitter but I will try that option too.. thanks
Old 04-19-19, 08:24 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

One of the reasons I've become a fan of Nuluxe and have it in our ES FSport although that peeling is unacceptable. Our RX is two years old and the leather looks nothing like that.
Old 04-19-19, 10:49 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I would say that is definitely not normal wear and tear. Check out others on the used lot with same mileage- if it's normal they should all be like that. Mine are 5 & 15 years old and don't have that type of wear- the '14 has the perforated leather with no issues to date.
Old 04-19-19, 11:11 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

So this is the base leather? (not NuLuxe or Semi-Aniline)
It looks like the defects are de-laminating at the perforations. The perforations don't look very cleanly cut to me (as if the tool that made them was dull).
Old 04-19-19, 12:36 PM
sejijohn
Rookie

I also believe that this is a quality issue. I am addressing this issue in multiple forums. Hopefully they will address my concern. I really appreciate my fellow members for all your support and feedback!
Old 04-19-19, 12:38 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

A Twitter, IG and/or FB account specifically calling attention to this issue by sharing experiences and pictures by others experiencing the same issue including posting links to said experiences in their social media advertisements will surely get their attention.

The squeaky wheel always gets oiled.

It is generally understood that one bad shared experiences costs a manufacturer of any product the equivalent of 100 good experiences.

I once prepared to have 5 day laborers from Home Depot picket outside Lexus Valencia but they quickly retracted their position and honored warranty work issues on my parent's Lexus.
Old 04-19-19, 07:36 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Bring it up on their Facebook page, don't know what Lexus is like but some companies are very keen to help once it's on Facebook.

Quick Reply: RX30L - Driver Seat leather quality issue