RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX30L - Driver Seat leather quality issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-19, 08:07 PM
sejijohn
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello experts, I am trying my best to raise my concern in twitter and facebook.
This is the message I received.

thanks for taking the time to message us. I understand where you're coming from and know how much your RX means to you. After taking a closer look, I can see your seat leather concern was thoroughly reviewed by a Case Manager, Lexus of Woodland Hills, and a factory representative. Because of this, we have decided to stand by your Case Manager's decision. I know this wasn't the response you were hoping for, but this does represent our final position. I appreciate you taking the time to reach out. - Rockie R., Community Manager

They are simply not acknowledging the issue from their end. Also they are not letting me escalate further. Please let me know if there are any ways to send an email with details. I already tried Lexus Guest Experience but its of no help...
Old 04-19-19, 08:25 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Post your experience on Lexus and dealer FB, Twitter and IG pages and link as many family and friends to your posts for them to share, like, comment, etc.

If you’re able to get family and friends to make enough noise, you will get a response.

Also contact the BBB for both Lexus and the dealer. Yelp as well.

Originally Posted by sejijohn
Hello experts, I am trying my best to raise my concern in twitter and facebook.
This is the message I received.

thanks for taking the time to message us. I understand where you're coming from and know how much your RX means to you. After taking a closer look, I can see your seat leather concern was thoroughly reviewed by a Case Manager, Lexus of Woodland Hills, and a factory representative. Because of this, we have decided to stand by your Case Manager's decision. I know this wasn't the response you were hoping for, but this does represent our final position. I appreciate you taking the time to reach out. - Rockie R., Community Manager

They are simply not acknowledging the issue from their end. Also they are not letting me escalate further. Please let me know if there are any ways to send an email with details. I already tried Lexus Guest Experience but its of no help...
Old 04-25-19, 01:43 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Angry

That's BS for 7 month old leather. file complaints with BBB and any other public social media and don't give up. You should also try other dealership. Every dealership is different and even every technical advisor is different in the same dealership.
Old 05-29-19, 11:52 AM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a similar issue on my ‘18 RX F Sport with Rioja interior.

First noticed little bits missing between the perforations in the driver seat with < 2000km on the car. My dealer is replacing the seat cover after I made a bit of a stink about it. Keep in mind, I had major factory paint issues as well, and this dealer wants to keep my business because I’m Lexus for life.
Old 05-30-19, 12:31 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

I would definitely post pictures, etc. on every Lexus media site you can find. I had a 2000 RX that was showing some wear on the drivers seat 2 years after purchase- dealership replaced the leather. I also had a small issue with the leather/pleather on the driver's door of our 2004 RX about 3 years in- they also fixed/replaced that. My '14 RX has the ventilated seats and after 5 years is not showing near the wear yours is so to me that is definitely an issue- NOT normal wear and tear. I would ask them how long they would expect the seat to last if that is normal for less than a year. *** Maybe also let everyone on this website know what dealer that is- California seems to have some quite competitive dealers and if everyone here knew, and to avoid that dealership, then you might see some progress on getting your issue resolved.
Old 06-01-19, 08:38 PM
mirkee
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So which is the leather to have? Or even vinyl instead of leather. base leather? (not NuLuxe or Semi-Aniline) ???
Old 06-01-19, 10:02 PM
fantasy521
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I will be honest.
I’ve owned many Toyota products myself
and my relatives had Lexus since they debuted in 1989. Lexus has the most reliable mech out of all the brands but their leather and interior durability is far
shy of the German competitors.
My dad had a 05 MB E350 that he drove for 11 years
the seats looks decent with no care. Now he has a 16 S-class and the leather on that car due to my time to time care looks practically brand new.
Old 06-03-19, 05:49 AM
sejijohn
Rookie

Originally Posted by mirkee
So which is the leather to have? Or even vinyl instead of leather. base leather? (not NuLuxe or Semi-Aniline) ???
I have RX 350L premium and I think they are leather. Its not the base variant.
Old 06-03-19, 06:16 AM
sejijohn
Rookie

Originally Posted by jer
I would definitely post pictures, etc. on every Lexus media site you can find. I had a 2000 RX that was showing some wear on the drivers seat 2 years after purchase- dealership replaced the leather. I also had a small issue with the leather/pleather on the driver's door of our 2004 RX about 3 years in- they also fixed/replaced that. My '14 RX has the ventilated seats and after 5 years is not showing near the wear yours is so to me that is definitely an issue- NOT normal wear and tear. I would ask them how long they would expect the seat to last if that is normal for less than a year. *** Maybe also let everyone on this website know what dealer that is- California seems to have some quite competitive dealers and if everyone here knew, and to avoid that dealership, then you might see some progress on getting your issue resolved.
I tried posting pictures in their twitter and FB and all Lexus is saying whatever dealer decides it is the final decision. What makes me sad, as a customer Lexus did not even care to point me to a second opinion. I can understand that dealers are selling vehicles for them but it is the people who are spending their hard earned money.
Right now I had made peace with myself. From dealership point, whether its Toyota or Lexus its all same for me. Frankly speaking I did not select Lexus to see their swanky dealership, I selected Lexus hoping their customer service will go an extra mile to sort out issues that their customers are facing. Unfortunately it did not happen in my case.

My 15000 miles service will be coming in a couple of months. Planning to take the vehicle to a new dealership and will try there. I am not putting any false hopes.

All these comments are for Lexus of Woodland Hills, CA. This place is near to my home and thats why I went there. I really had a bad buying experience. Thought the service will be good but its all the same.
My yelp review on buing experience:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/lexus-of-wo...woodland+hills
Old 06-03-19, 06:19 AM
sejijohn
Rookie

Originally Posted by fantasy521
I will be honest.
I’ve owned many Toyota products myself
and my relatives had Lexus since they debuted in 1989. Lexus has the most reliable mech out of all the brands but their leather and interior durability is far
shy of the German competitors.
My dad had a 05 MB E350 that he drove for 11 years
the seats looks decent with no care. Now he has a 16 S-class and the leather on that car due to my time to time care looks practically brand new.
Yes I too believe thats why I selected RXL even though my heart wanted X5. RXL is a great car and there is no doubt about it, but its the dealership and Lexus customer service that pissed me off.
Old 06-04-19, 08:23 AM
fantasy521
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I see you are at Woodland Hills lol.
I'm in Westlake so about 15 min drive from where you are.
Try another dealership maybe?
I bought my car from Lexus of Oxnard and their service department has been exceptional the car had some scratches
on the gear **** and the sport button and they replaced it with no questions asked. (It was within the 1000 miles that I took delivery from though)
Also I took my RX to Lexus of Thousand Oaks for the 2nd service and their service team has been good too.
Quoting my parents, as a money waster in cars, I've owned and own a lot of car brands including: VW, Audi, BMW, MB, Hyundai, Toyota.

I would rate the service as

Top: MB and Lexus <- MB replaced a door trim that I scratched accidentally without asking questions... however I ding them a little bit because of their rediculous prices on oil changes (avg of $600 per visit). Lexus has been matching Mercedes in service without costing the same.

Mid: BMW <- They replaced their notorious button peelings but wouldn't stay behind their leather stuff with my Dakota leather in my 5 series cracked after
3 years of well taken care of use. However, otherwise they were decent and not as expensive as MB.

Low: Audi and VW <- Worst service period. I have so many stories to tell. My first car I bought was a Passat and I love the car but not the service. I leased an Audi A5 Sportback thinking Audi's service would be a bit better but not different then VW.

Toyota and Hyundai I didn't rate because they are not really a premium brand. (Not saying VW is a premium brand but back then they were like halfway between normal cars and luxury cars.) Toyota, however, had better service then VW and Audi. Hyundai's service sucks but only good thing is they charge prices more like a local Jiffy Lube then a dealership especially the $30 oil changes in Hyundai Genesis.
Old 06-07-19, 07:05 AM
sejijohn
Rookie

Originally Posted by fantasy521
I see you are at Woodland Hills lol.
I'm in Westlake so about 15 min drive from where you are.
Try another dealership maybe?
I bought my car from Lexus of Oxnard and their service department has been exceptional the car had some scratches
on the gear **** and the sport button and they replaced it with no questions asked. (It was within the 1000 miles that I took delivery from though)
Also I took my RX to Lexus of Thousand Oaks for the 2nd service and their service team has been good too.
Quoting my parents, as a money waster in cars, I've owned and own a lot of car brands including: VW, Audi, BMW, MB, Hyundai, Toyota.

I would rate the service as

Top: MB and Lexus <- MB replaced a door trim that I scratched accidentally without asking questions... however I ding them a little bit because of their rediculous prices on oil changes (avg of $600 per visit). Lexus has been matching Mercedes in service without costing the same.

Mid: BMW <- They replaced their notorious button peelings but wouldn't stay behind their leather stuff with my Dakota leather in my 5 series cracked after
3 years of well taken care of use. However, otherwise they were decent and not as expensive as MB.

Low: Audi and VW <- Worst service period. I have so many stories to tell. My first car I bought was a Passat and I love the car but not the service. I leased an Audi A5 Sportback thinking Audi's service would be a bit better but not different then VW.

Toyota and Hyundai I didn't rate because they are not really a premium brand. (Not saying VW is a premium brand but back then they were like halfway between normal cars and luxury cars.) Toyota, however, had better service then VW and Audi. Hyundai's service sucks but only good thing is they charge prices more like a local Jiffy Lube then a dealership especially the $30 oil changes in Hyundai Genesis.

Thank you fantasy521 for sharing all your experiences with different brands. Lexus is my first entry into premium segment and I hoped for a better service. Lexus of woodland hills was near to me and that was the reason I went there with my problems. Now I really lost faith in them for both sales and service. I brought my RXL from Keys Van Nuys and this time I am planning to take it there for 15K service. Although not expecting any miracles...