RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Torn by 2019 RX350L without Tow Prep Package!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-19, 06:30 PM
ftatiger
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
etrailer is a pretty wonderful company. I've bought receiver hitches, draw bars, electrical harnesses, two hitch bike racks and a variety of towing related gadgets from them.

As I said earlier the "build" feature of the Lexus website is clear about the Tow Prep Package not being available with the bench seat on the RX-L. If I were to speculate about the reason for this, it would be to compensate for the RX-L weighting 242 pounds more than the standard length RX and to keep the combined maximum weight of the vehicle with passengers and luggage and a 3,500 pound trailer under the 9,360 pound maximum shown in the RX owners manual. If this is the case, it would not be the first time that Toyota has reduced the potential number of passengers to reduce the total vehicle + trailer weight.

This begs the question: Do you really need the long version of the RX? If you are going to leave the 3rd row stowed most of the time like you said and since the 3rd row isn't suitable for adults larger than dwarfs (no offense meant to dwarfs), then maybe the regular RX (with the Tow Prep Package) would be a better fit for you.
Thanks again. L with 3 row folded down, visually cargo space appears to be bigger to the extent I would think it is worth getting L. I tested drive L and non-L, I actually found L feels more stable to drive (sales says that is because the prolonged frame) and I didn't feel performance decrease on acceleration with extra weight. I was about to get RX350, then I felt I needed to get L instead, plus I was able to find deal similar in price for L.
But with everything said in this thread, I think maybe I should go back to regular RX350 as you suggested. Thank you.
Old 04-13-19, 07:06 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ftatiger
Thanks again. L with 3 row folded down, visually cargo space appears to be bigger to the extent I would think it is worth getting L. I tested drive L and non-L, I actually found L feels more stable to drive (sales says that is because the prolonged frame) and I didn't feel performance decrease on acceleration with extra weight. I was about to get RX350, then I felt I needed to get L instead, plus I was able to find deal similar in price for L.
But with everything said in this thread, I think maybe I should go back to regular RX350 as you suggested. Thank you.
The L is going to feel more stable because of the 20” wheels, not the frame (there is no frame, but unibody) and the wheelbase is the same. The 20’s have less sidewall than the standard 18”; adds some firmness to the handling in and out of corners. If towing is important to you, more important than 4.3” of length, then go regular RX. Now if we were talking trucks, and the choice was between 5.5 ft vs 6.5 ft, I’d say go 6.5 ft. Happy car shopping ��.
Old 04-23-19, 03:13 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by xxx350L
The L is going to feel more stable because of the 20” wheels, not the frame (there is no frame, but unibody) and the wheelbase is the same. The 20’s have less sidewall than the standard 18”; adds some firmness to the handling in and out of corners. If towing is important to you, more important than 4.3” of length, then go regular RX. Now if we were talking trucks, and the choice was between 5.5 ft vs 6.5 ft, I’d say go 6.5 ft. Happy car shopping ��.
Many regular length RX have the 20" wheels, and the L is available with 18's. So I don't think your assertion is correct, at best it could be seen as an assumption...
Old 04-23-19, 11:26 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Default No assumptions here

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
Many regular length RX have the 20" wheels, and the L is available with 18's. So I don't think your assertion is correct, at best it could be seen as an assumption...
We will just have to agree to disagree here. FYI: https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires-1...e/aspect-ratio
Old 04-23-19, 11:56 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

We will just have to agree to disagree here. FYI: https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires-1...e/aspect-ratio
Uhh ok, except I didn't disagree that less sidewall would mean more firmness. You simply implied that the L only has 20s and the regular length model only has 18s. Which is not true. I did not see any mention of tire sizes until your post. Both lengths come with both sizes and so it can't be assumed that the tires caused the difference in stability.
Old 04-23-19, 12:20 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
Uhh ok, except I didn't disagree that less sidewall would mean more firmness. You simply implied that the L only has 20s and the regular length model only has 18s. Which is not true. I did not see any mention of tire sizes until your post. Both lengths come with both sizes and so it can't be assumed that the tires caused the difference in stability.
You are correct, both models have a 20 in wheel option. I just came out of a BMW, and I prefer the 19’s over the 20’s or 21’s. Lighter wheel, lighter tire and a softer ride even with RFT’s. 👍
Old 04-23-19, 03:40 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm wondering if the fact that the Spare Tire/Wheel on the RX350L is located under the rear area affects the addition of a trailer hitch??? Whereas the Spare is located inside the back hatch floor on the RX350.
Old 04-23-19, 07:47 PM
ftatiger
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
etrailer is a pretty wonderful company. I've bought receiver hitches, draw bars, electrical harnesses, two hitch bike racks and a variety of towing related gadgets from them.

As I said earlier the "build" feature of the Lexus website is clear about the Tow Prep Package not being available with the bench seat on the RX-L. If I were to speculate about the reason for this, it would be to compensate for the RX-L weighting 242 pounds more than the standard length RX and to keep the combined maximum weight of the vehicle with passengers and luggage and a 3,500 pound trailer under the 9,360 pound maximum shown in the RX owners manual. If this is the case, it would not be the first time that Toyota has reduced the potential number of passengers to reduce the total vehicle + trailer weight.

This begs the question: Do you really need the long version of the RX? If you are going to leave the 3rd row stowed most of the time like you said and since the 3rd row isn't suitable for adults larger than dwarfs (no offense meant to dwarfs), then maybe the regular RX (with the Tow Prep Package) would be a better fit for you.
There is a new hitch by Curt Hitch that will work with the RX350L, and the spare remains in factory position. The part number is C13394 and can be found at E-Trailer.com. Cost is: $231.
Waiting for someone to report how well it works for RX350L before purchase.
Old 11-25-19, 01:44 PM
jennya
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you install the hitch for your bike rack? are you satisfied with it?
I'm looking at 2020 RX350 and very disappointed to not be able to find one with tow package.
thanks
Old 11-25-19, 03:59 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Jennya: Check your pm mail, I responded to your pm regarding the hitch question.
Old 11-25-19, 10:24 PM
Mrdave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the dealer install the tow package and i'm only using it for my bikes. I live in HOT Phoenix and the tow pkg came with a higher output alternator and a transmission cooler. I felt that alone made it worth it.