RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Things you wished you've done sooner on your RX 4th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 01:57 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Things you wished you've done sooner on your RX 4th Gen

Hello all,

Picking up our new to us 2016 RX350 AWD in Eminent White Pearl in a week or so. Looking to get some feedback from veteran owners of this generation RX350. What upgrades/changes/mods have you done to the car that you wished you had done sooner?

I got all weather mats with it, cargo net and those random accessories. The wheels that are included with the Luxury package is good enough. We are having the dealer fix up all the minor chips on said wheels so it'll look presentable when we pick it up. The other models had those side moldings that goes for around $150, are those worth it? What about the side rails on the side of the car?

On the repair side of thing, we're having them check for the timing cover leak. They spotted minor leaking going on so we're having them perform that fix before we pick it up.

Just looking for ideas on what you all purchased that you see good value. We have about 3 years to catch up, haha.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-19, 02:44 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Paint protection film for partial hood, front bumper, mirrors and headlights. Replace lights in trunk and side doors with LED. Front door I got the Lexus ghost lights. Many different types of logos but make sure you get 5 watt and not 2.5 or 3 watt, not bright enough. Tinted front windows and moonroof. Not fan of body side molding. Think it distracts from the lines of the RX. I park so far away from people do not need.
The following users liked this post:
2ndName (04-10-19)
Old 04-10-19, 02:47 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Freds430
Paint protection film for partial hood, front bumper, mirrors and headlights. Replace lights in trunk and side doors with LED. Front door I got the Lexus ghost lights. Many different types of logos but make sure you get 5 watt and not 2.5 or 3 watt, not bright enough. Tinted front windows and moonroof. Not fan of body side molding. Think it distracts from the lines of the RX. I park so far away from people do not need.
This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you for sharing. I was actually browsing other forums section here and was going to ask about the paint protection. I have to check on the cost for the entire front. Not sure if you know, since the car is white pearl, with the film, will it yellow quicker?

The RX will come with the pano roof, can those be tinted too? Not familiar with tinting moonroof but I was thinking of wrapping the roof gloss black since there's only about 1/3 more of the ceiling that is white.
Old 04-10-19, 02:52 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Apply PPF ASAP! Our new car is sitting in the garage until my PPF guy can get here on Saturday. Didn’t do this on my ‘08 RX400h and regretted it. That car was a rock magnet. Congrats on your new car!
Old 04-10-19, 02:54 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by xxx350L
Apply PPF ASAP! Our new car is sitting in the garage until my PPF guy can get here on Saturday. Didn’t do this on my ‘08 RX400h and regretted it. That car was a rock magnet. Congrats on your new car!
Ah, yeah, we travel down to LA often from the Bay and the thought of it...haha.

Question, any specific PPF that you recommend?
Old 04-10-19, 05:02 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 2ndName
Ah, yeah, we travel down to LA often from the Bay and the thought of it...haha.

Question, any specific PPF that you recommend?
The company that I use feature Xpel. I was down there today (without the Lexus), and they had just finished an Acura NSX. The entire car was wrapped. Cost: 10K. He does beautiful work, but I’m only going to have the front bumper wrapped. Cost: $450.
Old 04-10-19, 05:11 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

The company that I use feature Xpel. I was down there today (without the Lexus), and they had just finished an Acura NSX. The entire car was wrapped. Cost: 10K. He does beautiful work, but I’m only going to have the front bumper wrapped. Cost: $450.
are you also doing the entire hood?
Old 04-10-19, 06:09 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Default No hood

are you also doing the entire hood?
I will be talking to him tomorrow about including the hood. If the price is right, I’ll probably do it, but I use a great product called “Langka Blob Eliminator” to touch up rock chips.
https://www.amazon.com/LAN3-Blob-Eliminator-4oz/dp/B008RBYKYG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3UNYVMEYF7WTR&keywords=lanka+blob+eliminator&qid=1554944595&s=gateway&sprefix=Lanka+%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-5 https://www.amazon.com/LAN3-Blob-Eliminator-4oz/dp/B008RBYKYG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3UNYVMEYF7WTR&keywords=lanka+blob+eliminator&qid=1554944595&s=gateway&sprefix=Lanka+%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-5
Old 04-10-19, 06:09 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Not sure if you know, since the car is white pearl, with the film, will it yellow quicker?

The RX will come with the pano roof, can those be tinted too? Not familiar with tinting moonroof but I was thinking of wrapping the roof gloss black since there's only about 1/3 more of the ceiling that is white.
Had the paint protection on numerous white Lexus's with no yellowing. You do have to keep a good coat of wax on it. I got the front windows tinted. I read on this forum about someone getting their moonroof tinted. I never used my moonroof because it was always to bright or/and to hot with the shade open. A great $75 investment. I now leave the shade open except on the hottest days and around noon. The film needs to be reflective so it does not build up heat in the area if the shade is pulled closed. I got 3M FX HP 20%.
Old 04-10-19, 07:36 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

I will be talking to him tomorrow about including the hood. If the price is right, I’ll probably do it, but I use a great product called “Langka Blob Eliminator” to touch up rock chips. https://www.amazon.com/LAN3-Blob-Eli...s%2C206&sr=8-5
Oh yah, I am aware of this product. Used it back in the day, talking about 2004...aging me out, haha.

Originally Posted by Freds430
Had the paint protection on numerous white Lexus's with no yellowing. You do have to keep a good coat of wax on it. I got the front windows tinted. I read on this forum about someone getting their moonroof tinted. I never used my moonroof because it was always to bright or/and to hot with the shade open. A great $75 investment. I now leave the shade open except on the hottest days and around noon. The film needs to be reflective so it does not build up heat in the area if the shade is pulled closed. I got 3M FX HP 20%.
Good point. Any recommendation of a good wax? I'm thinking about getting quotes for Scotchgard Pro. Thanks on the tip for the moonroof, will definitely look into that.
Old 04-11-19, 04:45 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Oh yah, I am aware of this product. Used it back in the day, talking about 2004...aging me out, haha.

Good point. Any recommendation of a good wax? I'm thinking about getting quotes for Scotchgard Pro. Thanks on the tip for the moonroof, will definitely look into that.
There are some good threads in the Automotive care and detailing section. One's I have used that give great protection, last,easy to apply and remove and are relatively inexpensive are Zaino Z2, Collinite 845, and Pinnacle Natural Brilliance PIN-315 Liquid Souveran Car Wax. Zaino is my first coat for long protection and the other two I will add a second or third coat for that wet glossy look. Since you are buying used the most important thing before any wax is applied is to clay bar the paint. Any will work. Won't believe the dirt you will remove even after washing the RX with the clay. It gets all the old wax, contaminants and dirt off so the wax will adhere much better. After clay bar, you will say wow so smooth and shiny I don't need to wax. You do.

Last edited by Freds430; 04-11-19 at 04:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Freds430:
2ndName (04-11-19), xxx350L (04-11-19)
Old 04-11-19, 06:30 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Thanks! I'll check them out.
Old 04-11-19, 06:47 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Freds430: Ever tried Blackfire Wet Diamond? It’s a paint sealant that really gives a deep gloss and lasts; I’ve used it for years.
https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-w...d-sealant.html
Old 04-11-19, 08:52 AM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a great thread. I have a couple questions.

Q on wax: I remember people used to say to never wax a new car. Is that still true? Can I look at the manufacture date somewhere (on the inner door-sill) and tell if the paint has cured enough?

Q on tint: I've always had cars tinted and the legal tint grade has always been a different shade than the factory tint, so the rear windows are tinted more gray, and the front is slightly toward bronze. Can anyone comment on a tint that matches the factory tint? Including the factory % darkness of the rears?

Thank you.
Old 04-11-19, 09:37 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Getty
This is a great thread. I have a couple questions.

Q on wax: I remember people used to say to never wax a new car. Is that still true? Can I look at the manufacture date somewhere (on the inner door-sill) and tell if the paint has cured enough?

Q on tint: I've always had cars tinted and the legal tint grade has always been a different shade than the factory tint, so the rear windows are tinted more gray, and the front is slightly toward bronze. Can anyone comment on a tint that matches the factory tint? Including the factory % darkness of the rears?

Thank you.
I was actually reviewing this and found this thread regarding the factory tint, supposedly glass and folks are just tinting over it. Will wait for vets to jump in and tell us otherwise as I'm trying to figure it out too, haha.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ercentage.html
The following users liked this post:
Getty (04-11-19)

Quick Reply: Things you wished you've done sooner on your RX 4th Gen