RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

If only the third row of RX350L is as good as Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 09:54 PM
hitmantb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If only the third row of RX350L is as good as Highlander

My wife would pick up RX350L right away!

193x76 gives more than 4 inches of legroom than 196.9 x 74.6, it is just embarrasing.

Any chance for 2020 RXL legroom improvement? We don't need it to be XC90, we just need it to be slightly below average in the segment instead of 4 inches less leg room than everyone else! The third row goes from cramped to unusable.
Old 04-08-19, 10:07 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

thats an interesting first post
The following users liked this post:
Getty (04-11-19)
Old 04-09-19, 06:26 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmantb
My wife would pick up RX350L right away!

193x76 gives more than 4 inches of legroom than 196.9 x 74.6, it is just embarrasing.

Any chance for 2020 RXL legroom improvement? We don't need it to be XC90, we just need it to be slightly below average in the segment instead of 4 inches less leg room than everyone else! The third row goes from cramped to unusable.
The Highlander is a pretty nice car, why not go for it?
Old 04-09-19, 06:30 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 201 Likes on 133 Posts

Third row is basically a gimmick on non full sized suvs. These things are only good for small kids. They are a selling point meant to convince you that you don’t need no stinking minivan! if you ever need more seats pull a strap and boom they are there for you. I leased an explorer instead of the F150 I really wanted few years back because I let my wife convince me we needed the third row. I used them maybe 5 times in the 3 year span. If you need a third row every day just suck it up and get a loaded Sienna. I had adults in the back of the explorer and they complained but whatever the drivers seat was always comfortable! Can you move your drivers seat up a bit? Nope!

Last edited by ellocovg; 04-09-19 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-09-19, 07:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

We waited and waited for a 3 row RX to come, but it didn't come in time, so we went with the Highlander. We use the third row with some regularity and it's been great. If the next gen RX has a more usable 3rd row, we'll probably switch to that in a few years.
Old 04-09-19, 08:01 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

The highlanders nice when the new design came out I tried to get a limited but they weren’t budging on price I ended up going with the ford for the price.

Originally Posted by JDR76
We waited and waited for a 3 row RX to come, but it didn't come in time, so we went with the Highlander. We use the third row with some regularity and it's been great. If the next gen RX has a more usable 3rd row, we'll probably switch to that in a few years.
Old 04-09-19, 08:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
The highlanders nice when the new design came out I tried to get a limited but they weren’t budging on price I ended up going with the ford for the price.
Truth! They sell like crazy so dealers are not at all inclined to offer big discounts. Our Highlander deal took 3 days of negotiations and was one of the hardest fought of my life.
Old 04-09-19, 09:14 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Our 2015 Highlander has been great and have used it with 6 adults a number of times. It isn't comfortable for those in the back, but folks put up with it to avoid driving 200 miles with their own car. LOL
The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (04-09-19)
Old 04-09-19, 12:49 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Back in 2013 when they had just came out I wanted either a XLT or a Limited white or dark blue one. Every single dealer by me The XLT/Limited versions were gone within a day of hitting the lot. They each had a few platinum and base versions that sat on the lot for a bit but for the desirables they were all asking over sticker because Toyota wasn’t making enough of them to meet the demand.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Truth! They sell like crazy so dealers are not at all inclined to offer big discounts. Our Highlander deal took 3 days of negotiations and was one of the hardest fought of my life.
Old 04-09-19, 01:34 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

The OP is correct. I'm 5'9" and I got stuck trying to get into the 3rd row at the NY Auto show last year. I had to, embarrassingly, crawl and tumble out from the trunk of the RXL. I didnt fit that well into the 3rd row of the Highlander either, but at least my dignity was in tack.
Old 04-09-19, 02:11 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
If you need a third row every day just suck it up and get a loaded Sienna.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Five years living with the highest specification Sienna has been quite enjoyable except for it having enough room for my sister and her husband to ride with our parents, my wife and me. OK, I'll admit that it's a little like driving a tour bus - it certainly isn't a "mini" van.

The buzz from employees at Toyota's Princeton, Indiana manufacturing plant is that production of the redesigned Highlander and Sienna on the TNGA platform starts around the end of this year. I hope Toyota doesn't screw these models up. The RX will eventually get its day in the TNGA barrel. I would think that would happen several years from now due to the gen 4 being introduced in 2016 but maybe it will be sooner since the RX makes up such a huge percentage of sales.
Old 04-09-19, 03:47 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The OP is correct. I'm 5'9" and I got stuck trying to get into the 3rd row at the NY Auto show last year. I had to, embarrassingly, crawl and tumble out from the trunk of the RXL. I didnt fit that well into the 3rd row of the Highlander either, but at least my dignity was in tack.
Try the third row of the new Kia Telluride...definitely more room. Almost bought one after seeing and driving one. Wife wanted an RX though, so we now have a 2019 RX 350L. Third row doesn’t matter much to us, so those seats will remain in the down position for a long time. Happy wife, happy life. 😊
Old 04-09-19, 05:13 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by xxx350L
Try the third row of the new Kia Telluride...definitely more room. Almost bought one after seeing and driving one. Wife wanted an RX though, so we now have a 2019 RX 350L. Third row doesn’t matter much to us, so those seats will remain in the down position for a long time. Happy wife, happy life. 😊
Or sister product Hyundai Palisade coming in stock this summer.
Old 04-09-19, 06:52 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Three row suvs are the new vans like vans were the new station wagons back in the 90s. Stations weren’t cool and then vans weren’t cool. Vans are very practical I just wouldn’t drive one. I drive a work van so siennas drive like a car it’s not that. If anything I think they’d make a new bigger suv or just separate the RXL they won’t mess with the money maker by making it to big.

Originally Posted by Kansas
You say that like it's a bad thing. Five years living with the highest specification Sienna has been quite enjoyable except for it having enough room for my sister and her husband to ride with our parents, my wife and me. OK, I'll admit that it's a little like driving a tour bus - it certainly isn't a "mini" van.

The buzz from employees at Toyota's Princeton, Indiana manufacturing plant is that production of the redesigned Highlander and Sienna on the TNGA platform starts around the end of this year. I hope Toyota doesn't screw these models up. The RX will eventually get its day in the TNGA barrel. I would think that would happen several years from now due to the gen 4 being introduced in 2016 but maybe it will be sooner since the RX makes up such a huge percentage of sales.
Old 04-10-19, 09:31 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by xxx350L
Nah the 3rd row in my GX460 is quite comfortable believe it or not.

Quick Reply: If only the third row of RX350L is as good as Highlander