RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Considering '19 RX - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-19, 07:29 PM
jnelson
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering '19 RX - Questions

Hi all -

My wife and I are considering a 2019 RX and had a few questions:
  • I sat in one briefly a few days ago and noticed that my knee rests very close to the start/stop button (for reference I'm 6'1, 32" inseam). I'll have to give it a test drive and actually find the proper seating position to find out if it would be an issue. Has anyone found this to be a problem?
  • For at least the next 6 months or so, I'll be commuting to work (30 mile round trip, mostly NYC stop-and-go traffic). Can anyone speak to the city MPG they're getting? Would the better mileage of the 450h be worth the extra cost?
  • Also regarding a commute in NYC, what size wheels is everyone running? I've previously had stiffer German suspension setups/low profile tires but would like something a bit softer this time around, and am fine sticking to the smaller wheels/more sidewall if that would help.
  • Is there any definitive answer on Apple Carplay/Android Auto availability in the RX, either directly from the factory or as an available upgrade in the near future?
Any thoughts on this would be great - thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-19, 03:47 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Everyone's case is different but for me the hybrid made more sense. I drive 15,000 miles per year. Since owning my 2017 RX450h have averaged 29 mpg versus 22 mpg in the RX350. Gas at $2.50 a gallon my break even point is 3 1/2 years. Our RX 450h was $1,500 more than the RX 350's on the Lexus lot and our ES 300h was the same price as the gas and both were used. At 150,000 miles will save on two break jobs at $300 each at 50,000 and 100,000 miles. With the hybrid I avoided any transmission drone issues. Find it humorous how others will post the CVT transmission is not as smooth as the eight speed. So shifting through eight speeds is smoother than not shifting at all. Straight highway, I will get around 32 mpg. Also own an 2017 ES300h. Wife and I would never own anything except a hybrid. Looking forward to Lexus coming out with an electric vehicle. Will be the first to buy one.

Last edited by Freds430; 04-05-19 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-05-19, 01:19 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm on my 5th Rx350, a 2018. I'm same height & inseam as you. Put the seat all the way down and all the way back and you will be fine. If you raise the seat, it goes closer to the dash....
If you like the "h", it's only about $1000 more than the AWD.
Old 04-05-19, 03:39 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 201 Likes on 133 Posts

I’m 6’2” 250lbs 36x32 and I have no issues at all fitting in the RX. I came from a 2016 Explorer and I have allot more leg room in this truck. In the ford I had to angle my foot to brake or my size 12 boot would get caught on the hvac duct. After a week it was second nature and I didn’t even think about it. I did sit in a NX type F and it was surprisingly spacious but the back support hugged me a bit too snug for me.
Old 04-05-19, 05:08 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Hi - My comments in green below.

Originally Posted by jnelson
Hi all -

• I sat in one briefly a few days ago and noticed that my knee rests very close to the start/stop button (for reference I'm 6'1, 32" inseam). I'll have to give it a test drive and actually find the proper seating position to find out if it would be an issue. Has anyone found this to be a problem? I'm 5'11 and this was one of my biggest gripes with my 2017 RX350. The driver seat has LESS leg room that my GS350 no matter how far back and down I push the seat. I find that totally absurd. My leg is always at a slight uncomfortable angle because I can't straighten my left leg. In the ES and GS, I can straighten my leg with a lot more room to spare. It seems the RX seat is not designed to go as far back.
  • For at least the next 6 months or so, I'll be commuting to work (30 mile round trip, mostly NYC stop-and-go traffic). Can anyone speak to the city MPG they're getting? Would the better mileage of the 450h be worth the extra cost? Your mileage on the RX350 is going to be trash. I am in NJ and if I get stuck in traffic, the mileage tanks horribly. And I've worked in NYC and know the traffic, you're going to hate your mileage. On highway driving with minimal traffic, I'll hit around 26MPG. With mixed driving, I get 19-21. With city driving, 14-16. Definitely go with the hybrid since the car will run off battery. The only reason I did not get the hybrid is because to me, it's not a real "AWD". It is really a FWD that uses an independent 67hp in the rear to make it "AWD". In our horrible northern winters, I want real AWD, not a small electric motor.
  • Also regarding a commute in NYC, what size wheels is everyone running? I've previously had stiffer German suspension setups/low profile tires but would like something a bit softer this time around, and am fine sticking to the smaller wheels/more sidewall if that would help. I have the RX350 F Sport so I'm using the standard 20" F SPORT Aluminum Alloy Wheels. They are comfortable and enough meat on the tires that going over those potholes will still be a comfortable ride.
  • Is there any definitive answer on Apple Carplay/Android Auto availability in the RX, either directly from the factory or as an available upgrade in the near future? Probably not but I'm sure it can be retrofitted (most Toyota/Lexus stuff is; trust me). But you can always get the BeatSonicUSA kit. You can find a few threads on these forums. I bought the same thing for my 2015 GS350 FSport and it worked great.
Any thoughts on this would be great - thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-19, 06:00 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jnelson
Hi all -

• I sat in one briefly a few days ago and noticed that my knee rests very close to the start/stop button (for reference I'm 6'1, 32" inseam). I'll have to give it a test drive and actually find the proper seating position to find out if it would be an issue. Has anyone found this to be a problem?
I'm 6', not a problem at all with space. Seats/steering wheel move in all directions and a "happy place" can easily be found.
Old 04-06-19, 07:06 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Everyone's case is different but for me the hybrid made more sense. I drive 15,000 miles per year. Since owning my 2017 RX450h have averaged 29 mpg versus 22 mpg in the RX350. Gas at $2.50 a gallon my break even point is 3 1/2 years. Our RX 450h was $1,500 more than the RX 350's on the Lexus lot and our ES 300h was the same price as the gas and both were used. At 150,000 miles will save on two break jobs at $300 each at 50,000 and 100,000 miles. With the hybrid I avoided any transmission drone issues. Find it humorous how others will post the CVT transmission is not as smooth as the eight speed. So shifting through eight speeds is smoother than not shifting at all. Straight highway, I will get around 32 mpg. Also own an 2017 ES300h. Wife and I would never own anything except a hybrid. Looking forward to Lexus coming out with an electric vehicle. Will be the first to buy one.
I totally agree with these comments regarding owning hybrids. However, I did not buy the hybrids for MPG, but rather for the lower maintenance and reliability they provide. I do not track the MPG, so I cannot give you any specifics.

We have a 2016 RAVH and a 2018 RX450HL and we really like the smooth operation of the CVT. It’s an unfortunate name for the transmission, because it has no belts or pulleys and is not anything like other CVTs. I think there are less than 20 moving parts, so it is almost maintenance free and trouble free. The Toyota hybrid Synergy Drive gearbox is marvelous in its simplicity, it does not have reverse gears thus eliminating a whole set of planetary gears. The reverse is simply done by reversing one of the MGs.

As mentioned, you will not need a brake job for at least 125-150000 miles, because the vehicle uses motors to slow down, unless you jump on the brakes. The conventional hydraulic brakes are powered by an electrically driven hydraulic pressure pump and accumulator instead of by vacuum and a diaphragm. The lack of outside air entry into the hydraulic booster eliminates the deterioration of synthetic rubber diaphragms or steel parts from rusting. It does, however, have a 12 volt hydraulic pump which can, eventually, wear out - but it hasn't been a problem on even the 300,000+ mile Prius cabs. Good design makes things last longer, apparently. There is only the water pump that is part of the belt drive. All other components, like the air conditioning compressor, brake vacuum booster, power steering pump, etc., are all run of off little electric motors. There is no alternator to worry about.

As for Apple and Android, I will not buy another Toyota product until they are included. Playing music via a USB memory stick is a joke. There a many threads on this forum and other ones regarding Entune/Enform music. I gave up trying to make either vehicle work with USB memory sticks and went with IPOD Classics. The IPODs are accessed via the vehicles normal audio controls or voice commands and work like they are part of the vehicle. The IPOD in the RX fits in the little compartment in front of the console, and in the RAV it lives in the console. I never look at the IPODs unless I want to update them. When Android Play is available we will be able to get away from the Toyota navigation system too. Google Maps is by far a better product. I hope that the Apple an Android Play are via Bluetooth rather than a USB cable, but that would be asking for too much.

Old 04-06-19, 08:27 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by golferjack
as for apple and android, i will not buy another toyota product until they are included
^^^ditto^^^
Old 04-06-19, 11:56 AM
teriq
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased the 2019 gas version lux package, cold weather, tow package with hitch. I decided not to purchase the hybrid because I just retired and will be driving a lot less in the city. I did have a 2005 Prius hybrid and the battery failed after 105,000 miles in 2012. Toyota gave me a price of $4,800.00 to replace the hybrid including labor. Since I was just out of warranty, the cover the cost of the battery and charged me labor of $500.00. This has left me wary of electric / hybrid autos. I was told that batteries would be cheaper as technology improved. This haven't been the case. There are aftermarket alternatives which is about 40% lower in cost. Even though there are less maintenance parts, I do not have faith in batteries due to the fact they as time goes by, charging capacity diminishes with each recharge and depending on the climate hot desert or cold, this also has a effect on battery life. If the main battery goes out, your auto is rendered stranded since even though it has a gas engine, it will not operate. If gas prices approaches over $4.50 a gallon again, I would considered a all electric.
Old 04-06-19, 01:59 PM
golferjack
Intermediate

Originally Posted by teriq
I purchased the 2019 gas version lux package, cold weather, tow package with hitch. I decided not to purchase the hybrid because I just retired and will be driving a lot less in the city. I did have a 2005 Prius hybrid and the battery failed after 105,000 miles in 2012. Toyota gave me a price of $4,800.00 to replace the hybrid including labor. Since I was just out of warranty, the cover the cost of the battery and charged me labor of $500.00. This has left me wary of electric / hybrid autos. I was told that batteries would be cheaper as technology improved. This haven't been the case. There are aftermarket alternatives which is about 40% lower in cost. Even though there are less maintenance parts, I do not have faith in batteries due to the fact they as time goes by, charging capacity diminishes with each recharge and depending on the climate hot desert or cold, this also has a effect on battery life. If the main battery goes out, your auto is rendered stranded since even though it has a gas engine, it will not operate. If gas prices approaches over $4.50 a gallon again, I would considered a all electric.
All things can break, and I would think your experience is in the minority.
Old 04-06-19, 02:21 PM
teriq
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also the 450H takes premium gas while the 350 takes regular. Price difference is about .20-.26 cents per gal difference. Gas savings is minimal with hybrid getting about 8-10 mpg more. I would hesitate to purchase a used hybrid with 80,000 to 100,000 miles since the warranty would run out and unless the hybrid battery can be fully tested and verified. Unlike Tesla batteries which will cost about $35,000.00 to replace, it has a better warranty and 80% guaranteed effectiveness after 100,000.00 miles.
Batteries as a whole have limited full recharge cycles and capacity diminishes after each full recharge. Granted technology is advancing on batteries I would only lease any hybrids or EV in the future to replace the cars every 3 years so I have a fresh battery without worry.

Last edited by teriq; 04-06-19 at 02:24 PM. Reason: I meant money spent on gas not gas savings. Hybrid vs non.
Old 04-06-19, 05:30 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

For the past two and half years, I have used the cheapest regular gas on my RX540h. It has consistently averaged about 30-33MPG with a mix of highway and city driving. For long trips at 75MPH, it averages about 27-29MPG. In my case, with the average cost of gas for the past two years at about $2.50 and the extra $2,000 for the equivalently packaged hybrid, it already paid for itself. Now hybrid cost are much lower. For example a Rav4 Hybrid is $800 more than the gas version.

We have a Camry Hybrid that is 12 years old. So far the battery is OK and has never been serviced. We get 36-40MPG on that car. When new, it was 38-42MPG, so we only lost a couple of MPG.
I know many people with Prius that have over 100,000 miles and their batteries are doing well. I know of a couple close to 200,000 mile with the original batteries.

There are places that recondition the hybrid batteries. Basically, they check each individual cell (there are about 28 on a hybrid car) and replace those that are no longer working well. They also replace the bus bars between batteries, and deep cycle discharge and charge the system. Toyota also recycles and offers these battery centers money for recycling the batteries. Typical new battery pack is $3,000, but the recondition costs are about $750.

Car batteries are also not fully discharged and the charge on all those cells is balanced to extend life. So not all cells are being used all the time.
Old 04-07-19, 05:44 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

. If the main battery goes out, your auto is rendered stranded since even though it has a gas engine, it will not operate. If gas prices approaches over $4.50 a gallon again, I would considered a all electric.[/QUOTE]

The main battery does not just "go out", but rather just starts to diminish some power from bad cells. MPG and driving power drops, and then over time the owner will notice it and get the battery fixed. It is not going to be some sudden event where you will be stranded on the side of the road.
Old 04-07-19, 05:48 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Batteries as a whole have limited full recharge cycles and capacity diminishes after each full recharge. Granted technology is advancing on batteries I would only lease any hybrids or EV in the future to replace the cars every 3 years so I have a fresh battery without worry.[/QUOTE]

Don't know why you would only lease, when the battery is guaranteed for 8 years and 100,000 miles.
Old 04-07-19, 10:56 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 442 Likes on 310 Posts

The hybrid is a no brainer for me. Everything else being equal, it will always be worth more.
And I like being green.
I just got one for my sister and her family.
$6,000 discount + $2,000 Lexus $$.

I do struggle with no Android Auto / Car Play.
Does not make sense for modern luxury vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Getty (04-11-19)

Quick Reply: Considering '19 RX - Questions