RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Reliability VS GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 02:05 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with the triple LED love. The moment I saw it on this new to us RX, I fell in love.
Old 05-10-19, 03:43 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
Had no idea triple LEDS were an option on the GS. When I was looking for one I never noticed. 2016 + only right ?
Yes, 2016+.

Here’s mine.

The following users liked this post:
signdetres (05-10-19)
Old 05-10-19, 03:57 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndName
I agree with the triple LED love. The moment I saw it on this new to us RX, I fell in love.
Love at first site!

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes, 2016+.

Here’s mine.

dam that’s sexy bro. F sport too wow. I really wanted the GS more but I needed a bigger car. I feel like the GS is just a better quality car overall and obviously more fun to drive. Especially considering they have roughly the same MSRP base meanwhile the RX is a bigger car so you know they had to cut corners somewhere. Besides that the GS is still made in Japan and most RX are Canadian built. There’s just something about being made in Japan that warms my heart. I know how Japanese people are and their attention to detail and work ethic are just next level.
Old 05-10-19, 04:26 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Lol yea my wife saying the same thing but she loves it. It’s the f sport with the triple beam LEDS and running boards which add to the looks I think. I told myself only way I’m getting an RX is if it’s a 2017 (for safety suite standard) f sport and with the triple LEDs, I think it makes the whole car. I see a few f sports around my way without them and it’s a big difference. Funny because at first I was a bit disappointed with the RX, coming from my V8 430. The hesitation and slow tranny were noticeable. I read somewhere that someone tried premium gas and it helped and it made me realize something. Years ago this same engine Lexus was recommending 93 gas but I feel like they started recommending regular gas to make the car appeal more to the family type who usually buys an RX and would otherwise be turned off by the premium requirement. Yes the car can run on 87 but it’s horrible without premium gas. Feels like a new car with 93 in it. Now I’m truly in love
We have close to the same setup, but mine is a 16 (but it has the safety suite). I'm adding running boards this summer. Found out I had a tow prep package too, so I may add the full package also just to have that option. The headlights are everything. Also with you on premium. Mine is a 450h and I still notice a difference. The Lexus dealer was trying to sell me on only "needing" 87, but the car just runs so much better on 93 IMO. In my case I get better mpg.

This site was mentioned in another thread - put in your VIN and you can see everything that was put on at the factory, the port, and what the dealer did when it was new. This is where I learned I had the tow prep package. Mine was a CPO from a Lexus dealer and they never listed it as one of the options on the car. Worth seeing if you have any hidden surprises.

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive.../vehicle-specs
Old 05-10-19, 08:53 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1Louder
We have close to the same setup, but mine is a 16 (but it has the safety suite). I'm adding running boards this summer. Found out I had a tow prep package too, so I may add the full package also just to have that option. The headlights are everything. Also with you on premium. Mine is a 450h and I still notice a difference. The Lexus dealer was trying to sell me on only "needing" 87, but the car just runs so much better on 93 IMO. In my case I get better mpg.

This site was mentioned in another thread - put in your VIN and you can see everything that was put on at the factory, the port, and what the dealer did when it was new. This is where I learned I had the tow prep package. Mine was a CPO from a Lexus dealer and they never listed it as one of the options on the car. Worth seeing if you have any hidden surprises.

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive.../vehicle-specs
Nice yea mine has that tow package too. I guess it’s a good idea to have that heavy duty alternator and tranny cooler. Not like I’m going to be towing anything. The running boards make the car look a lot better tho lespecially with the f sport look. Deff worth getting for looks alone. They are some of the highest quality running boards I’ve seen and that’s compared to Mercedes and BMW. I’m still in utter disbelief Lexus would recommend regular gas when the same engine is in the GS and I believe that always required 93.

No hidden surprises for me but that site is cool. Wish my car had the panoramic view, only option it seems to be missing besides the HUD.
Old 05-10-19, 09:45 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Speaking of running boards, is it best to go back to the dealer and buy from there or can it be had elsewhere for less? We tested an RX with one and liked it but was missing all the other options we wanted.
Old 05-10-19, 09:46 PM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Speaking of running boards, is it best to go back to the dealer and buy from there or can it be had elsewhere for less? We tested an RX with one and liked it but was missing all the other options we wanted.
I would deff order them from a Lexus dealer on eBay and have an outside mechanic install them. Dealer definitely isn’t necessary for something like this and is just going to over charge
Old 05-11-19, 09:09 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I would deff order them from a Lexus dealer on eBay and have an outside mechanic install them. Dealer definitely isn’t necessary for something like this and is just going to over charge
At my dealer they were about $500 for the part and almost $350 to install. I've put them on other cars so I watched a video on how to install them - I understand why the high labor cost now. First is the available videos aren't that great, and the one that actually shows it end to end has some sketchy parts (i.e. was not performed by a guy who appeared to be a mechanic). The guy cut away part of the protective plastic under the car and guys in the comments were saying that was wrong. But it wasn't obvious what was right either. But the overall message was unless you are really handy, have some good instructions and can get under the car easily it's worth having someone else install. Might also want to make sure the mechanic knows what they are in for and can do it correctly.

FWIW, having the dealer do it warranties the work (at least at my dealership, that's what they were claiming).