RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 vs 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 02:23 PM
JNI
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
The newer models use 4G for their communication systems (SOS and Lexus Enform), where the old models use 3G. I forget when this switch happened, but a member on here from Alaska had a major issue because his neck of the woods didn't have 4G, so none of that stuff worked for him. I believe 4G started in 2018, but am not 100% sure

The newer models also come with 10 years of remote start and connected app usage for free, where the old models were only 1 year I think. Believe this started in 2018.
The RX got 4G LTE in 2019. The remote app is still only a year, but safety connect (SOS) button is free for 10 years starting with the 18s. If you buy a new car the key fob remote start will work as long as the safety connect is active.
Old 04-03-19, 03:30 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in the same boat and have been going back/forth for a few months. To the OP< have you weight out the pros/cons, if so, what's your decision?
Old 04-03-19, 07:45 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndName
I'm in the same boat and have been going back/forth for a few months. To the OP< have you weight out the pros/cons, if so, what's your decision?
Probably gonna wait for 2020. Used models too expensive. Rather pay the small premium and get a brand new one. Not in a rush so will probably just wait for the 2020 updates.
Old 04-03-19, 08:02 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Probably gonna wait for 2020. Used models too expensive. Rather pay the small premium and get a brand new one. Not in a rush so will probably just wait for the 2020 updates.
Ah okay. Yeah, glad it's not just me. The good thing is that the resale value is great on these RX but the bad news is the difference between a used LCertified versus a new RX is negligible. I'm just going after a base model with Blind Spot and Backup camera, two must haves. Looking for these from the pool of 2016 is going to cost about 38K - 39K OTD here in the Bay Area and that's if I am lucky enough to find the right color combo. I'm seeing deals for similar config to be had for around $47K OTD for a new model.
Old 04-04-19, 10:15 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2ndName
Ah okay. Yeah, glad it's not just me. The good thing is that the resale value is great on these RX but the bad news is the difference between a used LCertified versus a new RX is negligible. I'm just going after a base model with Blind Spot and Backup camera, two must haves. Looking for these from the pool of 2016 is going to cost about 38K - 39K OTD here in the Bay Area and that's if I am lucky enough to find the right color combo. I'm seeing deals for similar config to be had for around $47K OTD for a new model.
Yeah, that's really base because aren't both of those "options" standard? Car sales seem to be slowing so who knows, new ones might stagnate on showrooms for a while and better deals can be had. I'm still shocked there are new 2018s in stock. I'd suggest lurking around the lots of your local dealers towards the end of the month and seeing if any of them will throw a vehicle at you at a price you can't refuse in order to help them meet their "quota" for the month. That's what I'mma do, I think.
Old 04-08-19, 07:56 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Yeah, that's really base because aren't both of those "options" standard? Car sales seem to be slowing so who knows, new ones might stagnate on showrooms for a while and better deals can be had. I'm still shocked there are new 2018s in stock. I'd suggest lurking around the lots of your local dealers towards the end of the month and seeing if any of them will throw a vehicle at you at a price you can't refuse in order to help them meet their "quota" for the month. That's what I'mma do, I think.
Visited a local dealership after checking out the online inventory. They had a few nice L certified cars. Decided to bite the bullet and bought a 2016 model. For the price we picked it up for and the options that are in the car, I don't think we'll mind if there are huge changes come 2020.
Old 04-08-19, 08:46 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Just finished our 3 year lease and bought it of a 2016. It is flawless and mint (35K Km, ~ 22K miles). We plan to keep it for another 2 to 5 years. They tried to get me into another lease with some incentives, because they know how much they can get for it due to its low mileage. But we don't know if the next one will be the same... I preferred to keep ours.
Old 04-08-19, 08:53 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Just finished our 3 year lease and bought it of a 2016. It is flawless and mint (35K Km, ~ 22K miles). We plan to keep it for another 2 to 5 years. They tried to get me into another lease with some incentives, because they know how much they can get for it due to its low mileage. But we don't know if the next one will be the same... I preferred to keep ours.
Congrats! Also helps that you know the history, versus buying a CPO in hopes that it was not abused. The prices for CPO is crazy for what it is. By the time you tack in nonpromotional finance rates and whatever other adders you want, it can go up to close if not the same as a new base model RX. It gets hairy than when you start having to decide 2-3 year warranty versus the 4 that comes with a new car. Then you start doing backward math on the options that hopefully you can get in the CPO. Had to go through that this weekend, about 5 hours worth of back/forth in the dealership. It actually didn't even feel that long...that's the worst part.
Old 04-10-19, 04:15 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

One thing that I just thought of that will influence whether to get a 2016 or 2019, or another vehicle entire besides the RX, is whether or not any of the 4th gen RX models have well working pilot-type feature. Similar to the XC90 which allows steering of the vehicle, I'm confused if the RX lane centering serves this function well and whether or not it has the "lane tracing assist" that was introduced in the corolla. The manuals of the 2016 and 2019 RX are of little help on this. The information provided on this by toyota/lexus seems scant, but I'm hoping someone knows the details of all this and can enlighten me/us. As of right now, it seems that even the 2019 rx lack the sort of semi autonomous driving feature that volvo and others have at present.
Old 04-10-19, 06:52 PM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was looking at service-loaners and if they had done the deal I originally wanted on a low-miles 2018, I'd have a WORSE deal than new... so I'm glad they didn't accept. To the left of the wheel you'll see a bank of buttons, two rows. In MOST RXs... some of those buttons are blanks that don't do anything. I'd check that carefully as it seems many options can be hidden/missing, and you'll only realize it later. On the '18 I wanted, I asked about "bird's eye view" and the 360 cam... and was told "no, you won't have that"... and I just accepted it as I was simultaneously working a deal for a new one (for more) if they wouldn't come down enough on the '18.

Well... funny enough. I got the new one for $3K more than the 1 year older, 11K mile car. Seems amazing that they wouldn't come down more on the CPO, but well... whatever. So... I was STILL thinking I didn't have the bird's eye, etc. on the new one... and then I notice the cams, and yep... even had that. I had to go back and check to see if I was missing something, and on that double row of buttons (on my new RX) there's one that says "view" and on that '18... that button was blank!

A couple other options that I was upset with myself in not realizing were nice (and cheap) and so I should have demanded them... well... looked at my original sticker and had those too. So... it was funny... the CPO was actually a MUCH worse deal than new(?!?) Yeah... I didn't know what I was looking at... and got a bit of luck. Things that you'd never think about, but are a bargain at the option price... are "tow prep package"... $350. Someone will say, "who cares about THAT?"... Well... it gains you a heavy-duty alternator, larger radiator, oil cooler, and transmission oil cooler... so even if you never tow anything, there are a bunch of things working to keep the vehicle fluids cool (overkill features that should keep the car healthy longer, or otherwise better tolerate more aggressive driving)... and the rear touchless hatch? $200... does it work perfectly? No... but it works well enough... that it's another no-brainer for $200.

You can really start to gloss-over as you look at so many models... that a better or worse deal gets hidden in the fog of options... some of which sound like nothing, then you look into it and that extra few hundo would be crazy NOT to spend. Just something to keep in mind to maintain apples to gently-used-apples shopping.

I saw another poster comment on the panoramic sunroof... can you believe I NEVER even NOTICED these in the garage? Yeah... $500 difference (if it were available)... standard sun/moon roof... $1350... pano? $1850... total no-brainer.

Frankly... IMO... the F-Sport is quite worth it... if you're shopping everything... and find an F that's a couple $K over the same mileage year non-F... I'd go F.

Last edited by Getty; 04-10-19 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-10-19, 07:20 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Getty
I was looking at service-loaners and if they had done the deal I originally wanted on a low-miles 2018, I'd have a WORSE deal than new... so I'm glad they didn't accept. To the left of the wheel you'll see a bank of buttons, two rows. In MOST RXs... some of those buttons are blanks that don't do anything. I'd check that carefully as it seems many options can be hidden/missing, and you'll only realize it later. On the '18 I wanted, I asked about "bird's eye view" and the 360 cam... and was told "no, you won't have that"... and I just accepted it as I was simultaneously working a deal for a new one (for more) if they wouldn't come down enough on the '18.

Well... funny enough. I got the new one for $3K more than the 1 year older, 11K mile car. Seems amazing that they wouldn't come down more on the CPO, but well... whatever. So... I was STILL thinking I didn't have the bird's eye, etc. on the new one... and then I notice the cams, and yep... even had that. I had to go back and check to see if I was missing something, and on that double row of buttons (on my new RX) there's one that says "view" and on that '18... that button was blank!

A couple other options that I was upset with myself in not realizing were nice (and cheap) and so I should have demanded them... well... looked at my original sticker and had those too. So... it was funny... the CPO was actually a MUCH worse deal than new(?!?) Yeah... I didn't know what I was looking at... and got a bit of luck. Things that you'd never think about, but are a bargain at the option price... are "tow prep package"... $350. Someone will say, "who cares about THAT?"... Well... it gains you a heavy-duty alternator, larger radiator, oil cooler, and transmission oil cooler... so even if you never tow anything, there are a bunch of things working to keep the vehicle fluids cool (overkill features that should keep the car healthy longer, or otherwise better tolerate more aggressive driving)... and the rear touchless hatch? $200... does it work perfectly? No... but it works well enough... that it's another no-brainer for $200.

You can really start to gloss-over as you look at so many models... that a better or worse deal gets hidden in the fog of options... some of which sound like nothing, then you look into it and that extra few hundo would be crazy NOT to spend. Just something to keep in mind to maintain apples to gently-used-apples shopping.

I saw another poster comment on the panoramic sunroof... can you believe I NEVER even NOTICED these in the garage? Yeah... $500 difference (if it were available)... standard sun/moon roof... $1350... pano? $1850... total no-brainer.

Frankly... IMO... the F-Sport is quite worth it... if you're shopping everything... and find an F that's a couple $K over the same mileage year non-F... I'd go F.
You brought up some great points. As we were shopping for our RX, this came up multiple times. Some of the math just doesn't add up and yes, including initial depreciation, the dealership doubles up on profit as CPO are "not discountable" and you won't get the promotional APR that you have access to when buying new.

In the end we opted to buy a highly optioned CPO that was about $20K below MSRP for when it's new. This makes it feel like a more bang for your buck type of a purchase. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
The following users liked this post:
Getty (04-15-19)
Old 04-10-19, 07:37 PM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope you enjoy your new Lexus. In negotiations I reached a point where I just pleaded for an honest explanation that made sense... I couldn't fathom the idea that they'd rather sell a brand new '19 with more options for $3K more than an '18 with fewer options. I was told that it's "how we own them" and the CPO was directly BOUGHT by the dealer (through trade-in or whatever) and so the amount owed was cut and dried... i.e. "we bought this for X so we must sell for a minimum of X"... MEANWHILE... the new inventory is financed stock, with sales incentives... etc. So... each month that ticks by... the dealer owes interest on every new car sitting there (and moving closer to having to buy them outright as the clock runs down)... so they have extra incentive to lower the potential burden, while getting the sales incentive as well as "hold-back" which is a payment they'll get for selling a unit.

SHRUG... whatever... that made enough sense to me... and in the end... I'm satisfied with the deal I got. The next time around I'll be smarter about options, etc... in previous shopping with "normal cars"... it seems like a lot of the extras are kind of trivial... but with Lexus... every little "option" you see listed... when you look into it... is a big deal. Had I seen through my shopping haze... I'd probably have an F for the extra $5K... still very pleased... but just saying, you really need to step aside for a minute and compare stickers.

Bottom line though... hopefully you're like me, in that... I am blown away. I absolutely love the car... in fact... I'm gonna' go sit out in it again now before bed. I haven't loved a car in years... and never like this. The Lexus has been everything I hoped it would be (and a lot more)... pure, joy. I hope you enjoy yours too!
The following 2 users liked this post by Getty:
2ndName (04-10-19), xxx350L (04-16-19)
Old 04-10-19, 07:47 PM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Yes, definitely a lot of learning this time around. I normally either pay in cash for a used car (Private) or cash out on the best deal possible from a dealer. First time financing just to have my money work harder elsewhere. Trying to be more responsible with it, haha.

We are still waiting to pick up the car actually. We had them check and fix for the timing cover leak (preventative) and repaint the rear bumper plus fix up all 4 rims from the Luxury package. I couldn't get them to go down on the CPO but in return got them to do a bunch of stuff prior to giving us the car. It's a fair trade, lol.

On a good note, I had redone the garage the week before so we're ready to drive our baby in. It's like setting up a new nursery and waiting for the baby!
Old 04-15-19, 06:45 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I have a 2019 RX350 loaner until my 2016 RX450h F Sport is done with warranty repairs. If you are considering old vs. new, feel free to ask me specifics about what changed. I am happy to share my experience.

This car is fully loaded and has all the features I have in my car except:
-Triple beam LED
-F Sport (no AVS, enhanced EPS, VDIM)

Performance:
-The 350 appears more peppy from 0-30mph, but slower from 30-60mph. Very similar to the last generation RX, but with a lot more shifting.
-I had to make a hard stop and the brakes felt noticeably weaker than the 450h. Gave me quite the scare. Not sure if it's due to new brakes or different application of brake force.
-2019 has 20" Ecopias with 2400 miles on them. 2016 has new 20" Advantage T/A Sport LT tires. Both cars at 35PSI cold.
-The Ecopias feel softer, and the 2019 has slightly more give than an F Sport. Body roll around corners is more noticeable.
-The hesitation issue is much more improved than my previous 350 loaners (2016-2018).

Safety System +:
-No difference in lane centering assist, basically still a novelty.

Annoyances:
-2019 gas cap makes loud popping noise when you lock or unlock car
-2019 infotainment system restarts when you move from accessory mode to ignition mode

Last edited by ericsan13; 04-20-19 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-15-19, 07:18 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I have a 2019 RX350 loaner until my 2016 RX450h F Sport is done with warranty repairs.
what is being repaired?

Quick Reply: 2016 vs 2019