RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX 350 8-speed manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-19, 02:41 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RX 350 8-speed manual mode

I’ve owned cars from Audi, Volvo, Acura, Honda, and Mazda that all allowed manual control of the automatic transmission. In every one of these cars in manual mode you could select a gear and either bury the accelerator to the floor and it would maintain that gear or there was a clear “kick down point” in the pedal travel where the transmission would down shift only if you went beyond this point.

As best I can tell in the RX 350 as soon as I touch the accelerator the transmission downshifts automatically ....even in manual mode. What’s the point? New owner and this is just such a head scratcher to me that I can’t believe Lexus spent anytime developing this feature because it doesn’t do anything different than drive.

DId I miss something here?
Old 03-14-19, 05:11 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
I’ve owned cars from Audi, Volvo, Acura, Honda, and Mazda that all allowed manual control of the automatic transmission. In every one of these cars in manual mode you could select a gear and either bury the accelerator to the floor and it would maintain that gear or there was a clear “kick down point” in the pedal travel where the transmission would down shift only if you went beyond this point.

As best I can tell in the RX 350 as soon as I touch the accelerator the transmission downshifts automatically ....even in manual mode. What’s the point? New owner and this is just such a head scratcher to me that I can’t believe Lexus spent anytime developing this feature because it doesn’t do anything different than drive.

DId I miss something here?
2017 f-sport - when i switch to the manual mode.. other than M1 switching to M2 automatically at a "kick out point" it stays in the gear that i leave it in.. at least for the scenarios i have used it in. it hasnt downshifted on me by it self before.
Old 03-14-19, 05:33 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Apparently the F-Sport and non-F-Sport behave differently in manual mode. It still leaves me asking why?! This isn’t a sporty vs non-sporty option thing...it’s a proper vs improper way to setup manual mode thing. My $22K 2014 Mazda3 is setup the right way but my $50k 2019 RX 350 isn’t?

I want a job working for car manufactures where all I’d ask is “why”? Why make the F-Sport and non-F-Sport different in this respect when only one way is the right way? Then when I got a stupid answer I’d berate the person before firing them.

The end result would be far fewer stupid decisions like this one....
Old 03-14-19, 09:06 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Regular RX's "manual control" is actually just like the "L", with the ability to limit the highest gear it can shift to. I was disappointed when I realized that as well. But Lexus is not the only manufacturer who does that.
Old 03-14-19, 09:56 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Originally Posted by guxu
Regular RX's "manual control" is actually just like the "L", with the ability to limit the highest gear it can shift to. I was disappointed when I realized that as well. But Lexus is not the only manufacturer who does that.
Yeah there is only one way to do this right. The fact that they wasted time/money developing two different sets of code - one good and one bad is mind boggling.
Old 03-14-19, 03:26 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

My Avalanche was programmed the same way and that totally suits my preferences and driving style. For local driving in the city and in hilly areas, I can limit the transmission to lower gears and still have it shift normally through the lower gears, otherwise never going into the higher gears. My Jeep will go into the gear you select in manual mode then downshift to 1st gear and never leave it after you stop unless you reach the rpm redline or manually shift up. after taking off again. Totally annoying and useless IMHO.
Old 03-14-19, 08:43 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
My Avalanche was programmed the same way and that totally suits my preferences and driving style. For local driving in the city and in hilly areas, I can limit the transmission to lower gears and still have it shift normally through the lower gears, otherwise never going into the higher gears. My Jeep will go into the gear you select in manual mode then downshift to 1st gear and never leave it after you stop unless you reach the rpm redline or manually shift up. after taking off again. Totally annoying and useless IMHO.
In the f-sport when in M2 and you decelerate to below 8 mph the transmission will automatically drop into M1 and will remain there until the speed goes above 8 mph and allows you to shift into M2. Evidently Lexus didn't think it was a good idea to take off or drive at very slow speed in M2.