Notices
RX - 4th Gen (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RX 350 8-speed manual mode

 
Old 03-14-19, 02:41 AM
  #1  
PWMDMD
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: MA
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX 350 8-speed manual mode

Iíve owned cars from Audi, Volvo, Acura, Honda, and Mazda that all allowed manual control of the automatic transmission. In every one of these cars in manual mode you could select a gear and either bury the accelerator to the floor and it would maintain that gear or there was a clear ďkick down pointĒ in the pedal travel where the transmission would down shift only if you went beyond this point.

As best I can tell in the RX 350 as soon as I touch the accelerator the transmission downshifts automatically ....even in manual mode. Whatís the point? New owner and this is just such a head scratcher to me that I canít believe Lexus spent anytime developing this feature because it doesnít do anything different than drive.

DId I miss something here?
PWMDMD is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 05:11 AM
  #2  
chunktwo
Pole Position
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: md
Posts: 211
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PWMDMD View Post
Iíve owned cars from Audi, Volvo, Acura, Honda, and Mazda that all allowed manual control of the automatic transmission. In every one of these cars in manual mode you could select a gear and either bury the accelerator to the floor and it would maintain that gear or there was a clear ďkick down pointĒ in the pedal travel where the transmission would down shift only if you went beyond this point.

As best I can tell in the RX 350 as soon as I touch the accelerator the transmission downshifts automatically ....even in manual mode. Whatís the point? New owner and this is just such a head scratcher to me that I canít believe Lexus spent anytime developing this feature because it doesnít do anything different than drive.

DId I miss something here?
2017 f-sport - when i switch to the manual mode.. other than M1 switching to M2 automatically at a "kick out point" it stays in the gear that i leave it in.. at least for the scenarios i have used it in. it hasnt downshifted on me by it self before.
chunktwo is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 05:33 AM
  #3  
PWMDMD
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: MA
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Apparently the F-Sport and non-F-Sport behave differently in manual mode. It still leaves me asking why?! This isnít a sporty vs non-sporty option thing...itís a proper vs improper way to setup manual mode thing. My $22K 2014 Mazda3 is setup the right way but my $50k 2019 RX 350 isnít?

I want a job working for car manufactures where all Iíd ask is ďwhyĒ? Why make the F-Sport and non-F-Sport different in this respect when only one way is the right way? Then when I got a stupid answer Iíd berate the person before firing them.

The end result would be far fewer stupid decisions like this one....
PWMDMD is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 09:06 AM
  #4  
guxu
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: AL
Posts: 293
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

Regular RX's "manual control" is actually just like the "L", with the ability to limit the highest gear it can shift to. I was disappointed when I realized that as well. But Lexus is not the only manufacturer who does that.
guxu is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 09:56 AM
  #5  
PWMDMD
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: MA
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by guxu View Post
Regular RX's "manual control" is actually just like the "L", with the ability to limit the highest gear it can shift to. I was disappointed when I realized that as well. But Lexus is not the only manufacturer who does that.
Yeah there is only one way to do this right. The fact that they wasted time/money developing two different sets of code - one good and one bad is mind boggling.
PWMDMD is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 03:26 PM
  #6  
gregjhonda
Driver
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: PA
Posts: 134
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

My Avalanche was programmed the same way and that totally suits my preferences and driving style. For local driving in the city and in hilly areas, I can limit the transmission to lower gears and still have it shift normally through the lower gears, otherwise never going into the higher gears. My Jeep will go into the gear you select in manual mode then downshift to 1st gear and never leave it after you stop unless you reach the rpm redline or manually shift up. after taking off again. Totally annoying and useless IMHO.
gregjhonda is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 08:43 PM
  #7  
Nail34
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NorCal
Posts: 254
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gregjhonda View Post
My Avalanche was programmed the same way and that totally suits my preferences and driving style. For local driving in the city and in hilly areas, I can limit the transmission to lower gears and still have it shift normally through the lower gears, otherwise never going into the higher gears. My Jeep will go into the gear you select in manual mode then downshift to 1st gear and never leave it after you stop unless you reach the rpm redline or manually shift up. after taking off again. Totally annoying and useless IMHO.
In the f-sport when in M2 and you decelerate to below 8 mph the transmission will automatically drop into M1 and will remain there until the speed goes above 8 mph and allows you to shift into M2. Evidently Lexus didn't think it was a good idea to take off or drive at very slow speed in M2.
Nail34 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: