New 2019 RX350 is very bumpy- were my expectations too high? - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - 4th Gen (2016-present)
New 2019 RX350 is very bumpy- were my expectations too high? >

New 2019 RX350 is very bumpy- were my expectations too high?

Notices
RX - 4th Gen (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2019 RX350 is very bumpy- were my expectations too high?

 
Old 03-09-19, 12:50 PM
  #16  
signdetres
Lead Lap
 
signdetres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: California
Posts: 689
Thanked 116 Times in 91 Posts
Default

I have a 2018 GS F-Sport that I think is really smooth & quiet (for the most part). But every time I get a loaner for service, I request an RX and each time it reminds of what smooth & quiet actually is. I really enjoy my time in the RXs. I've always found them to be incredibly soft and smooth, impressively so. They're much smoother and have much less wind & road noise than my GS, without a doubt. My loaners have all had the 20 inch wheels, so as someone else mentioned, being on 18s, yours should be even smoother.

Maybe you're finding the RX to be a lot floatier than your Corolla and this is why you have the impression that it's bumpier? Due to the extra body motions potentially?
signdetres is online now  
Old 03-09-19, 01:50 PM
  #17  
lesz
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,153
Thanked 330 Times in 280 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by signdetres View Post

Maybe you're finding the RX to be a lot floatier than your Corolla and this is why you have the impression that it's bumpier? Due to the extra body motions potentially?
I suspect that the reason why there are widely different opinions being expressed as to whether the RX has a bumpy ride is that different people are thinking of "bumpy" as meaning different things.

I suspect that some are thinking that "bumpy" refers to the harsher feeling that comes with a vehicle that has a firmer suspension. Others, I think, are equating "bumpy" with a suspension that makes the vehicle float up and down over imperfections in the road in much the same way that a boat would float over waves in the water.

I've driven RX loaners of various generations, and I never would have described any of them as having a firm suspension that yields a harsh ride. Instead, I would describe the suspensions as being ones that do create that "riding the waves" sensation. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations of the RX were especially like that. The 4th generation RX is much less that way, but it is still more in that category than in the firm/harsh suspension category.

I'm not a big fan of the "riding the waves" suspension, but I would hardly describe the ride as being "bumpy". I think that some who have posted in this thread are inaccurately using the word "bumpy" to describe the way the RX has a suspension that floats up and down over road imperfections.
lesz is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to lesz For This Useful Post:
signdetres (03-09-19)
Old 03-09-19, 02:09 PM
  #18  
signdetres
Lead Lap
 
signdetres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: California
Posts: 689
Thanked 116 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lesz View Post
I suspect that the reason why there are widely different opinions being expressed as to whether the RX has a bumpy ride is that different people are thinking of "bumpy" as meaning different things.

I suspect that some are thinking that "bumpy" refers to the harsher feeling that comes with a vehicle that has a firmer suspension. Others, I think, are equating "bumpy" with a suspension that makes the vehicle float up and down over imperfections in the road in much the same way that a boat would float over waves in the water.

I've driven RX loaners of various generations, and I never would have described any of them as having a firm suspension that yields a harsh ride. Instead, I would describe the suspensions as being ones that do create that "riding the waves" sensation. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations of the RX were especially like that. The 4th generation RX is much less that way, but it is still more in that category than in the firm/harsh suspension category.

I'm not a big fan of the "riding the waves" suspension, but I would hardly describe the ride as being "bumpy". I think that some who have posted in this thread are inaccurately using the word "bumpy" to describe the way the RX has a suspension that floats up and down over road imperfections.
Completely agree with you.
signdetres is online now  
Old 03-09-19, 02:50 PM
  #19  
deusex
Driver
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ny
Posts: 182
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

if its a F-sport you can change the driving mode from sport to normal, it make a big difference.
deusex is offline  
Old 03-09-19, 03:18 PM
  #20  
Nail34
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NorCal
Posts: 252
Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by deusex View Post
if its a F-sport you can change the driving mode from sport to normal, it make a big difference.
It's not an f-sport.
Nail34 is offline  
Old 03-09-19, 03:33 PM
  #21  
Bob04
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SC
Posts: 1,797
Thanked 56 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HontoKuro View Post
The RX feels like a 1992 Cadillac Brougham, that counts as a sedan right?
What wheel size and what brand/model tires are you running?
Bob04 is online now  
Old 03-09-19, 06:37 PM
  #22  
HontoKuro
Pole Position
 
HontoKuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 202
Thanked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bob04 View Post
What wheel size and what brand/model tires are you running?


If the RX was a sedan, this is how it feels and rides.
HontoKuro is offline  
Old 03-09-19, 07:03 PM
  #23  
Backstrom
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: CA
Posts: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by signdetres View Post
I have a 2018 GS F-Sport that I think is really smooth & quiet (for the most part). But every time I get a loaner for service, I request an RX and each time it reminds of what smooth & quiet actually is. I really enjoy my time in the RXs. I've always found them to be incredibly soft and smooth, impressively so. They're much smoother and have much less wind & road noise than my GS, without a doubt. My loaners have all had the 20 inch wheels, so as someone else mentioned, being on 18s, yours should be even smoother.

Maybe you're finding the RX to be a lot floatier than your Corolla and this is why you have the impression that it's bumpier? Due to the extra body motions potentially?
Originally Posted by lesz View Post
I suspect that the reason why there are widely different opinions being expressed as to whether the RX has a bumpy ride is that different people are thinking of "bumpy" as meaning different things.

I suspect that some are thinking that "bumpy" refers to the harsher feeling that comes with a vehicle that has a firmer suspension. Others, I think, are equating "bumpy" with a suspension that makes the vehicle float up and down over imperfections in the road in much the same way that a boat would float over waves in the water.

I've driven RX loaners of various generations, and I never would have described any of them as having a firm suspension that yields a harsh ride. Instead, I would describe the suspensions as being ones that do create that "riding the waves" sensation. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations of the RX were especially like that. The 4th generation RX is much less that way, but it is still more in that category than in the firm/harsh suspension category.

I'm not a big fan of the "riding the waves" suspension, but I would hardly describe the ride as being "bumpy". I think that some who have posted in this thread are inaccurately using the word "bumpy" to describe the way the RX has a suspension that floats up and down over road imperfections.
This is interesting. I think this might be it but I'm not sure. Can you guys further elaborate on the difference between floaty vs bumpy? Only been on a boat once in my life so I'm not exactly sure about this.
Backstrom is offline  
Old 03-09-19, 10:35 PM
  #24  
sdloeffler
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ga
Posts: 37
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

what kind of tires? I have a '16 GS and had a '10 RX I just traded for a '19 RX. My new '19 RX has 20" wheels and had Bridgestone tires. They sucked. before I would finalize the deal my sales person swapped the wheels/tires with another RX and put the Michelin's on it. totally different ride. smooth, no issues. Awesome ride. Bridgestone's were hard and loud. Never have liked them. Look into your tires.
sdloeffler is offline  
Old 03-10-19, 07:14 AM
  #25  
lesz
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,153
Thanked 330 Times in 280 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lesz View Post
I suspect that the reason why there are widely different opinions being expressed as to whether the RX has a bumpy ride is that different people are thinking of "bumpy" as meaning different things.

I suspect that some are thinking that "bumpy" refers to the harsher feeling that comes with a vehicle that has a firmer suspension. Others, I think, are equating "bumpy" with a suspension that makes the vehicle float up and down over imperfections in the road in much the same way that a boat would float over waves in the water.

I've driven RX loaners of various generations, and I never would have described any of them as having a firm suspension that yields a harsh ride. Instead, I would describe the suspensions as being ones that do create that "riding the waves" sensation. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations of the RX were especially like that. The 4th generation RX is much less that way, but it is still more in that category than in the firm/harsh suspension category.

I'm not a big fan of the "riding the waves" suspension, but I would hardly describe the ride as being "bumpy". I think that some who have posted in this thread are inaccurately using the word "bumpy" to describe the way the RX has a suspension that floats up and down over road imperfections.
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
This is interesting. I think this might be it but I'm not sure. Can you guys further elaborate on the difference between floaty vs bumpy? Only been on a boat once in my life so I'm not exactly sure about this.
I don't know how clearly I can explain what I am talking about, but I'll give it a try.

Some SUVs, including the Lexus GX, have a stiffer/firmer suspension. Also, many sports sedans will have a firmer suspension. With such vehicles, when you go over a bump or a dip in the road, you will feel that bump or dip more harshly, but the suspension will settle in immediately, and the ride will even out again very quickly.

Other vehicles have suspensions with a "softer" design, and I think the RX fits into this group. With such vehicles, when you go over a bump or dip in the road, the suspension will react in a more gentle manner, but, instead of settling immediately, the vehicle will (gently) bob up and down a few times before the ride evens out again. That is what I was talking about when I said that it was like a boat riding over waves.

I think that some who have posted in this thread think of a "bumpy" ride as one where the suspension reacts to bumps and dips in the road with a single, harsher response. But I think that others think of a "bumpy" ride as one where the suspension reacts to bumps and dips by bobbing up and down multiple times, even though the bobbing is more gentle than what would be the case with a firmer suspension.
lesz is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to lesz For This Useful Post:
Backstrom (03-10-19)
Old 03-10-19, 10:23 AM
  #26  
signdetres
Lead Lap
 
signdetres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: California
Posts: 689
Thanked 116 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lesz View Post
I don't know how clearly I can explain what I am talking about, but I'll give it a try.

Some SUVs, including the Lexus GX, have a stiffer/firmer suspension. Also, many sports sedans will have a firmer suspension. With such vehicles, when you go over a bump or a dip in the road, you will feel that bump or dip more harshly, but the suspension will settle in immediately, and the ride will even out again very quickly.

Other vehicles have suspensions with a "softer" design, and I think the RX fits into this group. With such vehicles, when you go over a bump or dip in the road, the suspension will react in a more gentle manner, but, instead of settling immediately, the vehicle will (gently) bob up and down a few times before the ride evens out again. That is what I was talking about when I said that it was like a boat riding over waves.

I think that some who have posted in this thread think of a "bumpy" ride as one where the suspension reacts to bumps and dips in the road with a single, harsher response. But I think that others think of a "bumpy" ride as one where the suspension reacts to bumps and dips by bobbing up and down multiple times, even though the bobbing is more gentle than what would be the case with a firmer suspension.
I'm going to try and add-on to this because it's a difficult thing to explain as it's usually something you feel but I'm gonna try with an example:

Imagine you're driving and you hit a speed bump pretty quickly. In this case, as the vehicle goes over the speed bump, the wheels are going to roll over the speed bump. Let's say the speed bump is shaped like most speed bumps and is a half-circle or arc that sticks up 6 inches at the highest point of the speed bump. The wheels are connected to the body of the car (where you're sitting) via the suspension.

Scenario 1. You're driving in a very light sports car with sporty and stiff suspension & hit the 6-inch tall speed bump. Because your suspension is so stiff, when your entire car begins to go over the speed bump, your suspension does not compress, and the entire car rises and lowers 6 inches to go over the bumps. Because the entire vehicle would be rising and lowering 6 inches all at once with no secondary body motions, this would translate into a "hard" or "bumpy" feeling suspension. Once all 4 wheels have hit the speed bump and are back on normal pavement, the "event" is over. You went over the speed bump and that's it. There are no after-effects or secondary motions where the body of the car is bobbing up and down or rocking forward & backward. All of the energy from the impact of the speed bump is dealt with when the wheels go over, the vehicle rises with the bump, lowers with the bump & returns to the pavement.

Scenario 2. You're driving in your much heavier normal car with super soft & super smooth suspension & hit the same 6-inch tall speed bump. Because your suspension is so soft, when your entire car begins to go over the speed bump, your suspension is able to compress by those 6 inches so you don't even feel the speed bump. To go over the speed bump, your vehicle did not need to rise and then lower back down by 6 inches to go over the bump because your suspension was soft enough to compress and deal with the bump that way. However, you may not have felt the speed bump while going over it, but now that your vehicle has just passed the speed bump, you may be feeling the rest of the cars body floating or bobbing up & down as the rest of the energy from the impact of the bumps is bled off in this way.

This floating effect from scenario 2 is more noticed in vehicles with soft suspensions the heavier they are. Your Corolla may have been softly setup, but it was much lighter than your softly setup RX. So for example, in your Corolla, you could hit the same speed bump as in your RX. Both would handle the bump itself similarly, in a way that's soft & smooth but afterwards, your Corolla might bounce or float once or twice, but your RX might float or bounce maybe 3 or 4 times afterwards. This is what I feel like you're feeling & could be misinterpreting for being bumpy or bumpier but who knows, hopefully this could have helped in any way.
signdetres is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to signdetres For This Useful Post:
Backstrom (03-10-19)
Old 03-10-19, 01:27 PM
  #27  
coolsaber
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: In your head
Posts: 2,118
Thanked 42 Times in 39 Posts
Default

maybe a rushed pdi, bump stops never taken off
coolsaber is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 07:35 AM
  #28  
ravenuer
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 440
Thanked 42 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
This is interesting. I think this might be it but I'm not sure. Can you guys further elaborate on the difference between floaty vs bumpy? Only been on a boat once in my life so I'm not exactly sure about this.
Why not just go back to your dealer and ask to drive another RX, as similar to yours as possible(especially rim size) and see how that one compares?

Last edited by ravenuer; 03-11-19 at 07:39 AM.
ravenuer is offline  
Old 03-11-19, 12:01 PM
  #29  
mikemu30
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,677
Thanked 160 Times in 141 Posts
Default

There's no such thing as FLOATY or BUMPY from a technical perspective - it's a subjective observation.
mikemu30 is online now  
Old 03-11-19, 12:54 PM
  #30  
signdetres
Lead Lap
 
signdetres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: California
Posts: 689
Thanked 116 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikemu30 View Post
There's no such thing as FLOATY or BUMPY from a technical perspective - it's a subjective observation.
You got it, chief

Originally Posted by signdetres View Post
...it's a difficult thing to explain as it's usually something you feel...
signdetres is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: