RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Matador Red Mica vs Atomic Silver

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 06:43 AM
Enok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matador Red Mica vs Atomic Silver

We are looking to buy a 2019 RX 350 and torn between these two colors. Both look quite different in different lighting conditions so very confused with what to get. I know color is very personal choice but just want to see what existing owners thoughts are.
Old 03-05-19, 07:04 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I was down to red and blue, but ruled out the red because it wasn't available with the brown interior. I dislike the parchment interior, and would never want black. The silver is only available with black interior in Canada.
Old 03-05-19, 07:15 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

atomic / black interior here,
Old 03-05-19, 07:37 AM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I went with the red this time and no regrets. Sharpest looking car I've ever owned!

The following 2 users liked this post by gregjhonda:
signdetres (10-11-19), TRS (05-16-21)
Old 03-05-19, 10:18 AM
DyaDya
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

my 2 cents and its not even worth that because it really is subjective. First and formost IMHO you can't go wrong with either and it will probably be a situation that whatever you choose will be the right choice because you won't look back but enjoy going forward. I looked for a long time. The first color i saw was Atomic Silver in a showroom. Most stunning color i ever saw, (i thought). Later i saw the Red. LOVED IT TOO. Then i saw the atomic outside in bright sunlight. Meh. That is to me Atomic Silver under certain conditions was unbelievable and others just so so. I actually made an offer on a red that didn't go thru. Later I discovered i liked the stratus gray interior more than the Parchment and they don't do red/stratus gray. And I decided the interior was slightly more important than the exterior as long as i could handle the exterior color. So i actually wound up buying a nebula gray/stratus gray and still LOVE IT! To me the red/parchment is more fun and the gray/gray is more classy. Neither necessarily better in all cases. I'm sure i would be happy with either. Either of those 2 colors is better than nebula gray, but IMHO with the gray interior, I personally like it overall better. As part of my personality I do keep looking at others on the road even though i have mine now. And to not make my long story even longer I will simply now in choosing between those 2 colors I would choose the red. But its not obvious. Yeah, not as torturous as buying a house, but i feel your pain. (but its a good pain!)
Old 03-05-19, 10:52 AM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Color of choice is obviously subjective but since you asked between this and the silver...well here was my wife's color of choice, Matador Red! It's really a beautiful color and not as common as the Atomic Silver. Plus when the sun and light hits it, it really has an almost candy apple color shine to it, very sharp and sweet looking. Even though it's not my SUV and her daily, I think this color looks spectacular. The other one we also really liked was the Midnight Blue Mica but was very hard to find one with the parchment interior which we think looks best in the Blue but non are found with both AWD and Luxury package. Although we ended up with the Parchment interior with our Matador we were looking for one with the Noble Brown interior for over 6 months with the red stitching which compliments the exterior Red but again virtually impossible to find and the only RX350 with this was located was in FL but was a FWD and had very high mileage which eliminated from our list. Good luck and you probably can't go wrong with any but if you care about standing out from the crowd, I'd say go with the Matador Red.

Last edited by HontoKuro; 03-05-19 at 11:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (03-08-19)
Old 03-05-19, 11:42 AM
ocarr
6th Gear

Great pictures! We recently purchased a 2018 RX-450h in Nebula Gray Pearl and I really regret it. It's so bland and the tinted glass accents behind the rear door just blends into gray body color. We could have bought a white one but thought it was too common. We also have a 2008 Audi convertible that's Misano Red Pearl which we almost didn't buy because we thought it might be too "loud". But we love it and are so glad that we got it. We are ready to trade for a new one this spring. Not sure of the color yet but it won't be gray or silver.

So I'd say go with the bolder color and enjoy it!!

My $0.02.
Old 03-05-19, 04:21 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Red is a great colour in the sun and IF it's looked after, on overcast days I feel it looks dull/dark. My main concern with the red is keeping it looking good - if you have the time or prepared to pay for it you need to keep it clean, the colour shows up any marks dramatically. Silver is a bit boring for me but is more forgiving if dirty/scratched. I actually went with white as I'm past cleaning/polishing cars constantly to keep them looking good, white hides marks/dirt fantastically.
Old 03-05-19, 06:05 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I just traded out of an Atomic Silver 2016 IS. I liked it - the up side is it hides dirt and scratches better, and does look sharp with full tinted windows. It is, however, less of a statement than red. But red as mentioned will be harder to maintain.

I'd maybe look hard at the interior color you want instead. Red will likely come with options for beige or light grey - so if you want a lighter interior Red is your likely choice. I've never seen an Atomic Silver in anything other than black interior. Maybe there are, but black seems to be the prevailing choice. I did not care for the black interior during the summer. Even though I had full tinted windows with heat protection, it was still a hot interior. Maybe they all are I have light grey now but haven't been through a summer yet. But plus side of the black interior is that it also hides wear better.

In the end, which color is going to make you smile every morning when you go into your garage? That's your color.
Old 03-06-19, 05:33 AM
garbo
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Have parchment interior which looks great when new but as time goes on I am less enamored with it...really shows wear...so I would suggest any exterior color but avoid the parchment interior.
Old 03-06-19, 07:05 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Interesting observation....we picked the red because it was very unusual where we live in the northeast. We are snowbirds and when we came to Florida this winter, we found, almost literally, that every other SUV, of any make, was pretty much the same red! Not so easy spotting it in a large parking lot.
Old 03-06-19, 08:05 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Matador red mica and love it, but coming from grey/silver/white cars I'll admit it requires more constant washing to keep it looking clean. Silver/White and some greys can slide by for months upon months without really *looking* dirty. But one drive with this and the dust shows pretty quickly. I signed up for one of those cash wash club deals with a set base price for unlimited washing... So far it's a steal!
Old 03-06-19, 08:17 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by garbo
Have parchment interior which looks great when new but as time goes on I am less enamored with it...really shows wear...so I would suggest any exterior color but avoid the parchment interior.
You can say that with any type of color interior, sure if you are lazy and don't maintain as you should then it will wear out and not keep its texture and fine leather look. We have the same tan leather interior in one our much older BMW 325ci and every time someone steps inside they always think I replaced the seats with new ones. I keep our cars clean and do the interior/exterior detailing and keep up with things such as cleaning, conditioning, protection etc..During our 6 month cross shopping/drive tests of many vehicles including the RX350, I can't tell you how many times we saw turned in lease vehicles that people didn't care to properly maintain the leather or interiors of their SUV's, such a shame.
Old 10-09-19, 06:27 PM
Nimryl
Driver School Candidate

Default Matador Red

When I first saw it I thought to myself "Wow this looks too flashy!" It had been on the lot for a long time because people were saying "Its too flashy!" Theres not that many sold in this area. So my husband said go for it what diffrence does it make. So I purchased the mat red. The others were the boring grey but thats what I was used too.

Take a chance and step up your color palate like me. Not looking for the attention but it really turns heads.
Old 10-09-19, 07:23 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
You can say that with any type of color interior, sure if you are lazy and don't maintain as you should then it will wear out and not keep its texture and fine leather look. We have the same tan leather interior in one our much older BMW 325ci and every time someone steps inside they always think I replaced the seats with new ones. I keep our cars clean and do the interior/exterior detailing and keep up with things such as cleaning, conditioning, protection etc..During our 6 month cross shopping/drive tests of many vehicles including the RX350, I can't tell you how many times we saw turned in lease vehicles that people didn't care to properly maintain the leather or interiors of their SUV's, such a shame.
Would never own a dark interior. With parchment or any of our light color interiors never once had one that wore or even looked dirty. I clean the seats about every two months. Takes less than five minutes.

Quick Reply: Matador Red Mica vs Atomic Silver